Status: Working on it :D

Triggered

Broken Strings

A locker beside Dublin slammed shut. He braced himself for the impact. "Hey, freak! I thought I told you to get the fuck outta this place!" Diedrick stood tall compared to Dublin, but his words made the sophomore feel even smaller.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Died, but I do know that without Otto and Gustav you are completely powerless." Dublin smirked to himself as he spoke these words, gaining a minuscule sense of confidence.

He could see the red rush into Diedrick's face. "You'll pay for that, faggot!" he called out as he stormed past Dublin, being sure to push him into his locker for a second time.

Dublin stood back and rubbed his arm. Not soon after Diedrick left, the doors opened again and Rohan walked in, combing his fingers through his shaggy blond hair. Upon seeing him, Dublin could feel a shy blush creep up his neck.

"Rohan..." Dublin called quietly. "I missed you." He ran up and held tightly onto Rohan's hands. "Where have you been?"

"My mom took my phone away...and my computer...and my car..." Rohan's head turned quickly and he suddenly shoved Dublin into a locker. "Don't fucking come near me again, Dublin!" He stormed off, re-adjusting his backpack.

Dublin's eyes stung with tears, but he soon brushed them away, for he saw Brody tip-toeing to him. After seeing the tears that managed to escape his swipe, she let out an overdrawn sigh. "Did he shove you into the lockers again?"

He nodded, taking in a slow, deep breath. "I wish he would just come out. That way we could lean on each other when Diedrick, Otto, and Gustav bullied both of us. Not just me."

"He's an asshole, Dublin. I think you should just dump him. You're worth so much and deserve someone better."

Dublin looked into his best friend's eyes. "I love you, Brody, but you just don't understand what it's like to be gay. You can never have your own biological children, you have trouble with adoption and getting married, plus you're bullied your whole life. Look at what my dad did." he yelled, knowing how close Brody was to her own father.

"Okay, I get it. I'm sorry. Do you want to go home? We can head over to my house for the night." She rested her head on his chest, showing exactly how short she was. "You know my dad admires you." Brody looked up and batted her long eyelashes.

He nodded. "Let's go to your house. It's a cutting day, I guess. It's easier to do that at your house than the other thing." His body trembled, as though it was ready for a fix of anything. "I'll worry about Rohan later. I'm sure he'll walk over to your house during lunch once he's figured out I've skipped again."

Brody nodded solemnly and grabbed his bag. "Come on. Let's go home." She slipped her tiny hand into his and tugged him along behind her.

Dublin looked at the ground as he let himself be dragged. Brody's place felt more like a home to him than his own. He looked up into the clear blue sky. "Don't you ever wonder who's out there?" He let his hand depart from Brody's and cracked his fingers. "Maybe they're just playing a sick joke on us; watching us suffer, you know?"

Brody rolled her eyes and grabbed his hand once again. "Stop thinking so much. We're almost home." Dublin had almost forgotten how close to the school Brody lived. He continued to trail her across the lush, green grass and into her house.

"Daddy, I'm home!" He watched his best friend be lifted up by her father, the smile on his face lighting up the whole room.

"Hi, sweetheart. You're home ear-oh...hey, Dublin." Mr. Stiles sent a half smile towards him.

"Good morning, Mr. Stiles. Do you mind if I stay here for the night?" Dublin stared at the tile floor. As fatherly as Brody's dad was to him, he was still embarrassed to ask for his hospitality.

"Of course it is, Dublin. You're always welcome to stay here." Mr. Stiles walked past them both, patting Dublin's shoulder gently.

"Come on, let's go downstairs." Brody laced her fingers through his and pulled him behind her. "If you're going to do it, get it over with now so we can have fun."

Dublin quivered as he pulled the scissors from his backpack, a few tissues falling out in the process. The anger and hurt he had felt earlier suddenly rose up inside him, and he took a slash at his wrist. Once, twice, three times. Dublin couldn't stop. His thin wrist became raw and red, the deep cuts spilling blood around them. The ecstasy of pain flowed through his veins. His eyes squeezed shut as he released the trouble of his day. Tears began to push through his eyelids as he continued.

"Stop! Dublin, that's enough!" Brody yanked away the scissors, rubbing her watery eyes on the sleeve of her sweatshirt. She stood and went into the bathroom, taking the first-aid kit from the closet. Brody knelt beside Dublin, who was now curled up with his eyes closed, blood continuing to pour from his mutilated wrists.

"Just leave me to die, Brody..." he breathed out. "I don't deserve to live anyway..." Dublin let his hand move to his wrist, tracing previous cuts with blood.

"It'll be okay, Dublin. I love you. You'll be okay." Brody picked up his fragile wrist, pouring generous amounts of hydrogen peroxide on it.

"In moments like this, nothing can hurt me aside from my friend. Everything feels right in the world. I feel like Rohan and I are laying in bed together, my head resting on his chest, him playing with my hair. "Dublin's eyes fluttered. "I just want to be happy..." Within seconds, he fell unconscious.
---
Dublin awoke, finding himself surrounded by stuffed animals and bundled in a comforter. He shifted around, rubbing his wrist, which was now heavily bandaged.

"Brody?" he called out, his voice trembling and reserved. His eyes drifted to the window, where light ceased to shine through. Underneath lay Brody, curled up in her favorite mushroom chair.

Dublin managed to heave himself out of bed, sauntering over to where she lay. He shook her shoulder gently. "Brody? Are you okay?"

She jumped, her eyes flying open. "Dublin, are you hurt? Do you need new bandages?" Brody sat up, inspecting Dublin's wrist with care. She soon returned his hand, satisfied with how it looked.

"I'm alright, I guess. Has Rohan stopped by?" Dublin's eager eyes begged for a positive response.

"Right, him. Yeah, Rohan stopped by after school. He held your hand for awhile and took off your bandages to check your arm. I nearly killed him for doing that. You started bleeding again and I had to put more hydrogen peroxide on."

"Why didn't he wake me to apologize? That's what he normally does after he's bullied me at school." Dublin's eyes fell to the floor, beginning to pool with tears.

"No one could wake you." Brody replied. "You've been unconscious for fourteen hours now." She stood up and sat on Dublin's lap. "You're lucky to be okay, just as I'm lucky to have you."

"I'm lucky to have you, too, Brody." He hugged her as tightly as he could. "What would I do without you?"

"You would die a terrible, tragic death. Obviously." Brody jumped off him and onto her bed. Due to all the noise, Mr. Stiles cautiously walked into the room.

"Dublin, you're awake. Are you feeling better?" He walked over and ruffled the teenager's shaggy hair. "You had me worried. Brody called me downstairs to carry you up here." "Mr. Stiles turned his head in an attempt to keep from crying. "Please be careful, Dublin. I know being a teenager is tough, but you'll get through. Brody and I would be devastated if we lost you."

"I know. I'm sorry, Mr. Stiles. Thank you."

Brody motioned for her father to leave. "I love you, Daddy." She turned to Dublin once he left. "I'm going to take back my bed and go to sleep. Want to join?"

"Sure." Dublin crawled in after her, feeling her head rest against his chest.

"Goodnight, Dublin. I'll see you in a few hours. I love you." Brody rolled over and fell fast asleep.

"Goodnight. I love you, too."
♠ ♠ ♠
So, new story. I was really inspired to write this, so I hope you all enjoy it. It'll be tough for me to write, as I don't like using degrading words towards gay people. But yeah..hah.

~Tamsin<3