Status: Chapters posted as completed

The Stars Are Out There Searching for Beautiful Things

Summers' Past

On hot summer days we would lie out in the grass drenched in the golden rays of the burning sun. Our hair would bleach, our skin would darken, and our mom would come out onto the porch to yell at us to put on sunscreen. We would talk and giggle together about boys, nonsense and more boys. Sisters did that, and Holly and I were no exception.

Sometimes neither of us would say anything and I would be stretched out watching her draw. It amazed me how artistically challenged I could be, but at the very same time, Holly had a true talent. My pathetic attempts at being as good as she ended with me being frustrated and a shaking of the head from the older girl.

"Practice, Allie. Practice, practice, practice." Then, with a tap on my nose, she would return to whatever master piece she was working on at the moment.

I knew better then to disrupt her during her concentration. A single, simple little flower was taking form in her sketch book. Her hand moved lightly over the paper and I wondered at how she could turn a boring object into something so magnificent.

She had done that with the old, crooked pine in the backyard. The ugliest tree you could ever imagine, and she portrayed it as the prettiest jewel on earth. I guess looks were all in the eyes of the beholder.

Whenever I asked her how to get started on a drawing, she would look at me like I was crazy. "Oh, come one, Holly. Which line do you draw first? Tell me so I know how to do this."

"That's just it though. I don't know how I decide which line to start with." Lovingly, she looked down at her half finished piece and smiled. "It's all up to you, Al."

I arched an eyebrow at my sister and gave my blank piece of paper a confused look before rolling onto my back to watch the clouds.

It started out as just the drawing that was all up to me, but now it's turned into everything.

It's all up to me what to do with school. It's all up to me to chose who I hang out with. It's all up to me where I spend my free time.

It's all up to me how to decide how I'm going to get along without Holly.