Squib

The Letter That Never Came

Today was the day! Argus raced down the stairs and gathered the letters that had been dropped through the slot. Frantically he flipped through the envelopes, searching for anything addressed to him suddenly his hand froze, and his heart began to thump against his ribcage. Looking the envelope over he realized it was from his aunt, Aunt Mable. Sighing he let that one slide to the ground.

"Argus is that you in there?" his mother called from the kitchen. When no one replied she poked her head through the door and gave a short squeal. "Now Argus don't you go openin' that with out me!" she scolded as she scurried into the living-room. "Boys come quick, mail's 'ere!

"I'm not a boy!" Suzette shouted first to the stairs always ready for a fight. Then three older boys rushed down the stairs hooting and shouting, making a great annoyance of themselves, ruining Argus' special moment.

"Well done Argus!" said Harlan who was only two years older then him.

"Mother! I demand to be respected, I'm not a male quit call 'boys' 'boys' when you should be saying 'children'!" Suzette continued. Argus wasn't too preoccupied to roll his eyes at her, she may have dressed and tried to present herself as a fine lady, but she was in truth a Kolbolt in disguise at best!

"Bet you'll be in Ravenclaw, bookworm!" Lewin mocked ruffing Argus' hair as he went to stand beside his mother.

"No!" Zalmon, the oldest, still only halfway down the stairs called. "Slytherin like Dad 'n me!"

"And me!" mum added putting in her two sense before turning back to Argus. "Well? Open it!"

Argus looked up, his face flat and his eyes wide and teary. "I-it didn't come... Mum, my letter it's not here!"

"Let me look!" his mother demanded grabbing the post from his hands. The room was filled with an utterly crushing silence as she searched. "Today, is yer birthday isn't it?" she asked in her panic.

"Yes mum, today, I'm eleven, today fer sure!" Argus whispered on the verge of tears as he glanced up at the calendar.

The quiet in that room was unbearable and menacing, no one dared break it. For a long while the family just stood there each looking at their feet in shock. It was of course Suzette who would first break the silence. "A Squib? You're a Squib?" she asked her voice high and pinched. "Oh my god!" she screeched. "I can't believe this! How can we- What will my friends think? What will father think, what will he do?"

A wave of fear washed over the family as they turned to the youngest member. Ofir, their father was a man quick to anger he didn't beat his wife or his children no, but their home bore scars from many a time when his rage became to much to confine within him, walls were scorched and full of holes, plates had been broken and windows shattered.

"Dad's going to kill you!" Suzette said wide eyed. "This is great!" she laughed shrilly. Of all his siblings Argus hated his sister most.

"He would not! Right Mum? ...Mum?" Argus pleaded as the first tears began sliding down his cheeks. Her eyes fixated on the floor his mother refused to look at him.

"Wh-Who knows maybe it's a day late!" Harlan said attempting to be cheerful.

There was a loud rushing sound as the fireplace filled with green flame. "I'm home!" Ofir called dusting his jacket off. Although he was a wizard work was hard to come by
and he wasn't well educated. The only work he was able to find was in a Muggle coal mine. "I'm tired and 'ungry. I better 'ave a 'ot meal and good news 'bout my youngest!" he said in a gruff mean tone, but then he smiled and winked at Argus.

Tears rolling down his cheeks the young boy ran out of the house and across the lawn into a neighbor's field leaving his sister's cruel laughter, bewildered father and distraught mother and brothers behind.

Argus sat in the long grass tears silently rolling down his cheeks. A Squib, how could he be a Squib? His father do doubt was furious. "Why me?" he sobbed in dismay. Of all his brothers, and sister why did it have to be him? Wasn't he different enough already? He was thin with small boney shoulders that his hand-me-down clothes sagged over causing him to look sickly and skeletal. Suzette mocked him constantly calling him 'Scarecrow.'

"Good afternoon Argus!" came a friendly voice from behind him.

Argus turned to see the young girl from down the lane standing next to him, she was a sweet girl and his only friend. "Good afternoon Miss Norris."

"Ah told ye to call me Marguerite! That is my name!" she giggled sitting next to him.

"Mum says it's not polite to call a lady by her first name." Argus sniffled wiping at his nose.

"A lady am Ah now?" Marguerite asked putting her hands on her hips. "Could a lady whoop ye?" she asked launching herself at him. They rolled around in the grass for a few moments but the girl stopped her assault when she noticed her friend had been crying. "What's a matter Argus?"

"Nothin'."

"Are ye sad cuz ye think Ah forgot yer birthday?" she asked leaning forward her big hazel eyes locking onto his. "Well don't ye worry!" she said cheerily. "Here, Ah made it meself!"

"Thanks!" Argus murmured as he took the drawing from her. "It's really good."

"Thank ye! I fell outta that tree three times trying to draw that stickin' robin's nest! Twice 'cause the ma attacked me!" she beamed, obviously proud of herself.

Argus looked at her, she was an odd one! Argus felt a pang of guilt, even though he knew it was wrong looking at her made him feel better about his own life. Marguerite's family was much poorer than his. She had shoulder length hair that was a reddish-brown and always full of twigs, her dress was made of a worn blue calico with mismatched patches everywhere and mud on the knees. "Can you keep a secret?" Argus whispered.

"Of course Ah can!" Marguerite said in a hushed tone, and an urgent look on her face as she leaned in close so no one else could hear them.

"I-I think I'm a-a Squib..." he said in barely a whisper.

"A Squib? That's it?" Marguerite asked disappointed as she pulled away. "Well that's nit so bad!"

"Not so bad!" the boy exclaimed. "It's horrible! My father probably hates me! I know Suzette does!"

"Well," said the girl putting her hands on her hips. "Ah'm nit very fond o' her either! Besides, Ah like ya just fine!" she added leaning over and kissing him on the cheek.

"What was that fer?" Argus asked his eyes bulging as he looked at the girl who smiled broadly at him.

"Dunno." she said with a shrug. Argus shook his head were all girls like this or was Marguerite simply mental?

"Marguerite! Marguerite where are you, ye stupid girl?" came a harsh voice from the bottom of the slope.

"That's uh, that's me da..." the girl whispered slouching over as she tried to disappear. Marguerite never seemed to want to go home and her father always seemed to be in a right foul mood.

"Get home now!" he father shouted spying them on the hill.

"Ah, Ah should get goin'" Marguerite sighed. "Good luck with yer da, and tell Suzette hullo for me!" she said spitting viciously on the ground.

"Sure!" Argus chuckled impressed with her daring. Smiling he watched Marguerite run down to her father but, winced when he cuffed her in the back of her head causing her to stumble. "Poor Miss Norris... " he said.

"Hey, Squib!" called a cruel mocking voice from behind him. "Dad want's you!" Argus turned to see his sister grinning wickedly.