Bleeding Roses

1

I looked down with tear-filled eyes as I drew on my arm with a paper-clip. The red blurred my vision, as it was all that I could see. It was all that I was use to, though. My door was locked and I heard the sound of fists pounding against it, trying desperately to get in. I knew that sooner or later, the person behind the door would break into my room. The person was no longer a person, but a savage beast that feeds off of my misery and pain. The paper-clip was dug deeper into my porcelain skin, making me bite my tongue a little too hard. The smell...The color...The stickiness...It filled my mouth and poured down my chin and neck; it rolled down my arms and stained my hands, along with the silver paper-clip. Too much...It was all too much...

The door was broken off of its hinges as a tall, muscular figure burst into my room. The figure grabbed my shoulders and forced me to stand, shoving my back against the hard wall of the room that I hated so much. The figure's hand reached out and slapped me, forcing my head to the left as I spit out a mouthful of blood. A second slap forced my head back to my right...Then my left...And then my right. Kicking, shoving, slapping, punching...It all came at once. And then--silence. There was a familiar calmness after the storm. The storm walked away, leaving me on the ground, gasping for breath and bleeding. It was not new to me, however, it was...My life. It made me who I was, and I knew that I could do nothing about it. I looked at the wall, at a spot where my blood trickled down the plain, white wallpaper. The blood almost formed a rose. Almost.

***

"Hey, Alex! Are you alright? You seem...Spacey," someone said as they waved a tan hand in front of my face. I looked up quickly at my friend, Suzie, and gave an unconvincing smile as I nodded slightly. She raised an eyebrow but went back to talking about how perfect her dress was for the upcoming Winter Masquerade Ball, which was actually rather boring. "Who are you going with, Alex?" she asked me. I coughed, surprised by the question. I was unsure of how to answer, seeing as there was not anyone in the school that I particularly like. Even if someone did ask me, it was not like I would be allowed to leave my house...

"That reminds me...John Aldin asked me to ask you if you would go out with him..." my other friend, Blake, added. I nearly threw up at this. I shook my head frantically, though I did not want to be rude about it. I was able to calm down and I looked Blake in the eyes.

"Please do your bestest friend in the whole wide world a favor and tell John that I am a lesbian and I will therefore not be able to go out with him..." I begged Blake. I could never go out with John Aldin...He was the biggest loser in the entire student body. Sure, he was really sweet and everything, but...He had no common sense whatsoever and he was not at all attractive...Besides, I would rather stay single. It avoided a lot of drama. The last thing I needed in my life was more drama and pain than I already went through...