The Dragon Books; Book of the East

Luxa of the East II

"This is taking too long," I stated, adding a sharp tone to my voice. I looked at the boy standing next to me--he had short, blonde hair and violet eyes. He was tall, maybe about five feet and seven inches, and had pale skin with many blemishes. It was not hard to tell that he was from the Southern Kingdom, seeing as this was the basic look for someone there. As I spoke, he said nothing, and the silence seemed to go on forever, slowly killing me and prompting me to speak more. "Why have you joined this journey? Do you believe that it will make you a well-known hero? If that is the case, then I suggest you turn back now. The likelyhood of any one of us returning on our own two feet is horribly low. The only way we will return to our own Kingdoms is by being wrapped in cloth and thrown into the soil, if our family is lucky enough to get close to our corpses. We will not be worshipped is we are dead, nor will we if we are alive but failures. Do you understand that by joining this journey, you are digging your own grave?" I asked him, tapping my foot against the ground as I impatiently awaited his reply. He stared at me, though, his bored, violet eyes indicating something I should have known. I rolled my eyes and ignored him, brushing it off and dismissing it as nothing. I looked around for the ones that would be here as representatives for the Northern and Western Kingdoms. However, there was nothing in sight that showed a sign to say that they were coming. I should have turned back at that moment.

"You are an Eastern child, I can tell. With your fair, tan skin and long dark hair...Your dark green eyes and small size--you prove to be of the East. The only thing that contradicts this statement is your personality. Cold, ill-tempered, and rude--you prove yourself to be someone highly unlikeable. I have not yet said anything except for the truth and you are already biting your tongue to keep from shouting at me," the Southern Kigndom boy said. My teeth released my tongue as his last words dirpped from the tip of his tongue, forcing my face red with anger and humiliation. I soon relaxed, allowing my tense shoulder to roll back and my fists to uncurl. The boy smiled and extended his right arm towards me. "As ill-tempered as you might be, at least you have even the slightest bit of self-control," he told me softly. "My name is Samuel; my I ask yours?"

I shook my head and turned, but it was then that I realized his sickly features. his face was a light yellowish-green color. A blanket was wrapped around his big body and he was violently shivering. I had absolutely no ide why I had not noticed that before. My expression softened a little and I grabbed his hand, which was oddly still extended, and shook it. "My name is Luxa. I am of the Eastern Kingdom, as you may know. Despite my being of the East, I would rather be of a Kigndom that has never even heard of the Dragon's Rule, let alone know of it," I replied. This journey would be longer than I had expected...