Sequel: Design Your Universe
Status: Active

Rule the World

Dogs Can't Talk

*Recap:The flames were moving in a lullaby and I couldn't seem to keep my eyes off them, or keep them open. As they slowly closed, I heard a hum that slowly formed into words as I drifted off to sleep.
You are one I'd give my life for...You are the one who is haunting my dreams...Oh how I long to be yours for evermore...


~~~
I rose from the blanket of sleep, my eyes opening slowly. This was not my room.

I sat up with a start and looked around. I was still in Lord Khan's room. What time was it? The grandfather clock by the door read two-thirty.

"Shoot!" I threw the covers off and got off only to step on something furry.

Ulver yelped and sprang up, turning to me with a growl. I cringed.

"Sorry, Ulver."

You should be.

I froze in mid-step for the door and turned to look at him.

Yes. I can talk.

"Oh my God!" I hopped back on the bed, away from him. "You shouldn't be able to talk! Dogs don't talk!"

I am no dog, he replied indignantly. I am a wolf, thank you.

"You're not supposed to talk!"

Well, done. You are a smart one.

I narrowed my eyes at the dryness in his voice and crawled closer. "How are you doing that?" His voice was deep, quiet, and rough. It was pleasant yet somehow intimidating.

I'm from the lab, remember? A hybrid.

I sat back on my butt and studied him. "This is crazy."

He seemed to shrug. You'll get used to it.

"I'm sure I will," I said slowly, placing one foot on the floor and then the other, keeping an eye on him. "I should really get to class."

Ulver shook his head. They're practically done. Why don't you stay and talk to me? You're the first person I've ever been allowed to talk to...besides Roy.

"Why's that?"

Think about it. I'm a giant, talking wolf. Most would find that unnerving.

I nodded slowly, knowing exactly what he meant. "So...what do wolves talk about?"

Killing people and tearing out their throats. My eyes widened. But I am an intelligent wolf. I like to talk about other things besides food. Like your feeling for Roy. He sat down contently, seeming to wait.

I scoffed, sitting on the bed, and looking at the ceiling. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Mm-hm.

My eyes fell on him and scowled. "I don't."

Ulver sighed and jumped up on the bed beside me. I scooted away to give his massive body more room. You can't lie to me. Neither of you can.

"Neither of us?" My eyebrows scrunched together.

Ulver looked down at me. "You do like him."

"I do. I find him to be a...nice person."

He is very kind, yes. Very sophisticated and understanding. Brooding, though, and dark. He tends to take others problems unto himself. He has a very guilty conscience...

"That's why he's having bad dreams."

The corner of his mouth pulled up. He could also smile apparently. You are a smart girl.

"What happened to him then? Why is he like that?"

That's for him to tell you. Not me. Perhaps you should set aside what you don't know and focus on what you do.

"Why?"

You know why...You're starting to like 'the king'.

I gave him my best defiant look. "I do not. That's ridiculous."

One of the reason's Roy took me in is because I also am very good at reading people. When I looked at him incredulously, he continued. Let's start with you. You had a broken childhood, one that scarred you for life and made you distrustful of people.

People have outright hated you, blamed you when you did absolutely nothing. This was taken to heart and you set a wall up, making yourself aloof and detached from everyone, burying yourself in books. You didn't want to feel hated so you didn't want to get to know anyone, thinking they'd naturally hate you.

You friend, Rosin, broke that wall and now you're just waiting for someone else.


I was beyond the word astonished, to the point of almost fear. Turning my head away and looking at my feet, I said, "How did you know all that?"

I told you. I'm good at reading people... He paused and I glanced up at him. He was staring at the door and I heard a breath let out in my mind. You are also very similar to Roy.

"I am?" I asked skeptically.

He nodded. Even if the events leading up to your personalities aren't...exactly the same, its true.

Looking away, I wondered how much we both had experienced. Something tragic must have happened to him; it was the only answer. But what was it? I wanted to get to know him...Maybe Ulver was right. Maybe...I did have some feelings for him...But he's the king, I'm nothing. And I can't trust somebody when I have no idea what happened to them.

Take it in stride, Ulver told me. Set aside what you don't know and focus on what you do. You know he's a good man. You have feelings for him...

"Do you read peoples minds?"

That's not the point. Seraphine, listen to me. Dare I say it, you'd be good for Roy. Get to know him. Forget what you don't know. I swear you'll be glad you did.

"What are you telling me?"

Open your eyes, damnit!

The door opened and we both looked up as Lord...Roy stepped into the room.

He saw us sitting on the bed. "Good, you're awake."

"I'm sorry," I said, hopping up. "I didn't mean to--"

"Don't apologize," he said. "The tea helped, apparently." I nodded. "Any bad dreams?" I shook my head. None that I could remember. "Good. Ulver's been keeping you company, I'm guessing."

"He did," I answered. "He's very...enlightening."

Roy's mouth tilted in a smile. "You told her you can talk."

You get boring after awhile.

I stifled a smile. Ulver jumped down from the bed and made his way to the door. He looked back at me, telling me something just in a look, and left without a sound.

"Did you sleep?" I asked.

Roy shook his head and smiled grimly. "No."

"Oh." I looked about the room, racking my brain for something to say. "This castle is really beautiful."

"Thank you. Most find it is...too dark for anyone else, but it fits." I nodded in agreement. "Would you like to visit the stable again?" he asked.

The prospect of seeing those beautiful horses again made my face light up. "I would."

I was smiling like a fool, I knew, but I didn't care. The stable was still its warm and bright self, a major contrast to the rest of the castle. The horses swept out all other problems while I went to each one, giving them a pat and a treat. Lord Khan watched from the background again.

When we left the stable, I told him good-bye and thank you, and went back to the school.

"Sera! I was beginning to think you were dead!" Rosin said, hugging me tightly. "Where were you all day?"

I licked my lips, thinking of a lie. Saying I fell asleep in the king's bed chamber and spending the day with his talking wolf and part of it with him seemed to be rather far fetched.

"I was...in the bathroom. I had the stomach flu, but I'm better now."

Rosin looked at me incredulously, but then shrugged. "You do look better. Did you sleep in there?"

I smiled. "Yeah. I did."

Rosin shook her head at me, smiling. "You're a dork."

Sticking my tongue at her, I realized I might not only look better, but I felt better too. Things didn't look so gray and gloomy and I felt relaxed, but more alert. A good night's sleep really did work.

I needed more of that tea...

"Hello, Seraphine."

My eyes narrowed. She had to come ruin it though, didn't she? I turned around and Jane grinned at me.

"Where have you been all day?" she asked.

"I was in the bathroom. Sick."

"Oh, did you bring some of your village's disgusting diseases with you? I can only imagine the germs that are crawling around in that place. No hygiene or anything. Disgusting."

"We're not stupid barbarians, Jane. We're just like you."

She snorted. "No, you're not. You all are dirty, stupid animals. The king should just kick you out, but...he seems to be just as stupid for letting you idiots in."

"Shut up, Jane," I muttered, clenching my teeth. "I don't need you telling me anything."

"But what about your brother?" Jane continued, as if she didn't hear me. My eyes widened. How'd she know about him? "He's 'retarded' , isn't he? He can't think for himself."

"He can think for himself just fine."

"He's worse than the rest of you here probably. A drooling, stupid, little--"

My fist slammed into her face. She fell back onto the ground with a whine. I stood over here, seething.

"Don't ever bring him into this, you understand me, bitch?" I growled. "Or I swear, I'll make it worse next time. You don't know anything!"

"MISS SOLYSS!"

Headmistress Svart's roar seemed to shake the hall and everyone who hadn't noticed our argument, did now. Svart came striding towards us and she looked nearly as furious as I felt.

"That is it!" she shrieked.

"Headmistress--" I pleaded.

"No!" she shouted. "I gave you one chance and you failed!"

"Headmistress, please!"

"Miss Solyss! You are expelled!"
♠ ♠ ♠
:O OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's going to happen next?!?!!

I'm off to Breaking Dawn! xD

Ulver is also in the character section now. :) Along with Ijs and Rosin.

Thanks to the commenters! <3

Comments? Subscriptions? Love?