Sequel: Design Your Universe
Status: Active

Rule the World

Date Night

Stop being so scared of everything! I snapped at myself.

I put the cup down and looked at him with as much confidence as I could. "Yes, I will go with you."


~~~

I stood in the center of Elena and I's tiny room, frozen in terror and complete cluelessness. This was not a good idea...The door opened and I turned to Elena. She saw the worry in my face and cocked her head.

"Everything okay, Sera?"

"I really don't know...I need your help. But you have to promise not to tell anyone what I'm about to say."

Elena nodded and sat down on the bed, brushing her brown curls behind her shoulders. I let out a long breath and wrung my hands.

"Ro--Lord Khan..asked me to go on a date with him," I said and waited for her to say something.

At first she looked confused, then as my statement seeped in, she stared at me in shock. "He did what?"

"I know. This sounds crazy, but--"

Elena held up her hand. "He's taking you out of the castle? To the city?"

"I think so."

Her shock turned to a smile. "I don't know what you've done to him, but he has acted so...strange since you came along."

"Is that bad?"

"No, its a good strange," she said reassuringly. "So...he's taking you to the city on a 'date'. What's the problem?"

"I--I don't know. Things just...are...weird," I admitted. "I don't understand him at all."

"Few people do."

I sighed, sat down on the bed, and ran my hands over my face. My doubt in others was struggling with my feelings for him...Feelings I really wished didn't exist.

"Listen," Elena said, touching my arm. "He truly is a wonderful man, I promise you that. He just...has a different way of dealing with things. I mean, he hasn't set foot outside the castle in three years."

I looked up at her. "Why's that?"

Elena shrugged. "Something happened. No one really knows. But why don't I help you pick something out?"

I smiled gratefully. "I would love you if you would."

|

The shop was uncomfortably packed with clothes, all of which were imported from the other continents and I found myself walking through those from Europe. They seemed to have more of my taste, darker and more vintage. I checked the price tag of one of them and my eyes widened.

And way out of my paycheck.

"What size are you?" Elena asked from behind me as I admired the jewelry behind thick glass cases. "Never mind. Got it. What do you think?"

I turned, expecting nothing too horrific. I froze. Elena was holding a short, dark purple dress. It was simply cut and not too extravagant.

"Its cheap," Elena sang, hoping to draw me in. "It doesn't have sleeves, but we can fix that."

"You really think--"

"Of course I do!"

I looked at her dubiously and she skipped by me to pay. We argued over who would pay, nearly to the point that she broke my wrist, but the dress was finally mine.

"Its simple so you won't be overdressed, but its still nice enough you won't be under dressed," Elena explained to me, pulling the hair back from my face as I sat in front of the mirror.

"Okay..." I said doubtfully. "Are you sure I should be doing this? He's the king--"

"And just like anybody else if you look on the inside. He really likes you, Sera, I know he does. This is perfect. He'll finally get out of his shell and everything will be okay again!"

"You are not making me any less nervous."

"Don't be nervous, okay? You'll be fine."

She pinned the sides of my hair back and did my make-up. I looked myself up and down the mirror and that same uncertainty I'd felt at the ball returned. I was getting farther and farther out of my comfort zone.

"Here." Elena presented me with a black military-style jacket. "I thought this would go well."

"Where'd you get it?"

"I bought it when your back was turned."

I glared at her, but she gestured hastily for me to put it on. She had me turn around as she studied me closely, then she fixed my skirt. Nodding in satisfaction, she handed me my black, knee-high boots.

As I put them on, she said, "you look really beautiful, Sera."

I smiled and straightened up. "You think he'll like it?"

"Yes. Now let's go." She ushered me out of our room and to the main hall.

Roy was waiting for us. He was dressed in black, as usual, with a high collared, leather jacket that fell to his knees. When we approached, he stopped and stared, his eyes traveling over me. I would have backed away had Elena not held tightly to my arm.

"Your date, Milord," she said with a bow and released me.

"Thank you, Elena," he said and gestured to the door. "Ladies first."

I stepped away from Elena and walked by him to the door.

Roy

The silence between us was oppressing as the shuttle carried us into the city. She still didn't trust me. I didn't blame her.

The low built buildings flashed by along with the the speck of color representing people. It hadn't changed. Did I expect it to? Not really.

But a conversation would have lessened my unease. I hated setting foot here; it stirred up too many memories. But Ulver had demanded it. He thought getting me into the city would 'fix' me, but I thought differently. This was the last place I wanted to be. And I was the last person Seraphine wanted to be with.

The shuttle came to a stop behind a building, our arrival obscured from peering eyes. I didn't want the news of my return here to get out. That would make things worse for the both of us.

I offered my hand to her as she stepped out and she took it to my surprise. The door opened for us, a pale gentleman meeting us right inside.

"Your highness," he said, bowing.

"Ahmet." I nodded in greeting.

"Your table is this way." He turned on his heel and led us to a room that was empty, but for a table and two chairs.

The wall opposite of the door was missing, replaced with a railing that looked down onto more tables and chairs that were occupied by guests. The hum of conversation carried up to us and I saw Seraphine relax. We weren't alone, but no one could see us from up here.

A candle sat in the center of the white table cloth. That, and several other candles lit around the room, were the only light. I pulled the chair out for her and then sat down myself. With a quick flick of his wrist, Ahmet presented us with menus.

"Anything to drink?" he drawled.

"Water, please," Seraphine said quietly.

"Wine." However, if the night continued like it did, I was going to need something stronger...

Ahmet left and I struggled to focus on the words on the page, knowing that Seraphine was far from comfortable here.

"Have you heard from you grandmother?" I asked finally.

She nodded, concentrating hard on her menu.

"How are they?"

"They're well. Dax wrote that he missed me."

I snatched up this piece of personal information. "I'm sure he does. Anyone would be lucky to have a sister like you."

I saw the tint in her cheeks. "If I truly was a good sister...I wouldn't have left him."

"I bet he's proud of you though."

She looked up at me with mild surprise. "He is, I think. He told me once he wished he could go to school, but he knew he was too...'stupid' to do it."

"No one's too stupid for education."

She nodded and her eyes returned to the menu. "I agree."

Ahmet returned and took our orders and we were alone, without the menus to keep our eyes busy. Seraphine just stared at the table's surface, seeming frozen.

"You like to read?" She nodded. "What do you enjoy?"

"Everything," she answered. "But...I've always liked fantasy." She paused and licked her lips. "What about you?" The question seemed forced, like she was putting great effort in speaking. I knew how she felt.

"Same," I said. "Historical fiction as well. Music?"

"I've never listened to a lot of music. What about you?"

"Classical. Rock. Symphonic metal."

Seraphine arched an eyebrow at me. "Symphonic metal?" she repeated, smirking.

"Its good music," I said, smiling slightly.

"I'll take your word for it."

Our food was brought to us and the conversation continued. We discussed horses and how, even though she knew so much about them, she'd never ridden one. I told her we'd have to change that. She'd smiled brightly at this and I couldn't help, but imagine how much she...

I looked down at my plate of talapia and shook my head. That wasn't something to be thought about.

I waited until she was done eating before I brought up my plan. "Would you be interested in going for a walk?"

The doubtful expression returned to her face. She did think about it, which gave me hope.

"I suppose..." she said softly, standing.

I hid the smile from my face and we left the restaurant. It was a back street and mostly deserted. Snow lay in an undisturbed blanket over the street and sidewalks. The sun had disappeared behind the walls of the valley, leaving the solar lamps to light our way. Someone passed us by, but I was to delved into my own thoughts to realize who it was until they grabbed my arm.

I turned and at the sight of his face, I jerked away involuntarily.

"Your highness?" he said in a creaking voice.

"Hello," I said. It felt like the words were stuck in my throat.

"Been a while," he said. "Wasn't expecting you'd never show your face here again..." His voice trailed off as he looked around me at Sera. His eyes widened. "What the--"

I stepped in front of her and his eyes snapped back to me. He looked me up and down and his face turned sour. "I don't know what you're doing, boy..."

"I'm doing nothing that concerns you, Lucien," I replied shortly.

His eyes narrowed and he nodded curtly before limping off the direction he was headed. I turned away and continued walking, placing my hand on Seraphine's back to keep her going.

"Who was he?" she asked. "He seemed to know you well...for a peasant."

"I don't see people as 'peasants'," I answered, hoping to get off the subject. "They're just like I am, just not as lucky..."

She cocked her head. "What do you mean?"

"I didn't grow into nobility, Seraphine. I lived in the town of Aylyn until I was sixteen--when I became king."

"Aylyn? That's only a few hundred miles from Lore."

I nodded. "It is."

"And not much...wealthier..." She seemed to realize then that I was more normal than she thought. I understood much of what she went through because, as she said, Aylyn had been poorly forgotten, much like Lore. "Do you have family?" she asked.

"My father passed when I was ten."

"And your mother?"

"Haven't spoken to her in..."

"Three years." Surprised by her allegation, I looked down at her questioningly. "Everyone says that you changed three years ago," she explained, keeping her eyes in front of us. "Why is that? Why did you change?"

I swallowed and watched as my feet stirred up the snow. "I'm afraid I can't tell you that. Not yet any way."

She grabbed my arm and pulled me to a stop, her face set in defiance. "I told you my most painful memory and you can't tell me yours?"

I was shocked my her abruptness, but I kept my face smooth. "No. I can't tell you."

"Then how can I trust you?"

"I have no answer," I said. "I wish you would trust me, but I will not force you."

She looked down at the ground, and to surprise me further, she wrapped both her arms around mine. "Tell me about your mother then. Tell me about Aylyn."

After I regained my composure, I nodded and began down the street again, telling her about the person I wished I could go back to being.
♠ ♠ ♠
I figured I'd better stop there...

I think this is one of my better ones. I really enjoy writing in Roy's POV. x)

Thanks to our commenters! We loves you!!! xD

Comments? Subscriptions? Love? <3