Sequel: Design Your Universe
Status: Active

Rule the World

Surprises

The urgency in the brunett king's voice made my stomach tighten.

"What is it?" Roy asked.

Simultaneously, the other kings eyes snapped to Kat, Ijs, and me. They didn't trust us.

"They're safe," Thomas reassured them.

I tried to define which king was which by the descriptions Roy had given me. Lord Grillo--Casey--was the king of Asia. Lord Tibbetts--Sean--lead South America and Lord Palotai--Oliver--took charge of Australia. My eyebrows knitted together. Where was the king of Africa?

"You're sure?" Lord Grillo asked to Thomas' statement, still eyeing us.

"Yes," Roy said.

The lords relaxed only slightly. Something else was keeping them tense.

"Its Mephisto," Lord Tibbetts spoke. "He's planning--"

The doors opened again and we all turned, expecting the king of Africa. Well...at least I was expecting a king. Instead, it was a woman. Her skin was fair, her ginger hair long and silky. Icy blue eyes were set inside her beautiful face. Overall, she was stunningly gorgeous, dressed in elegant clothing.

Apparently, by the new kings' faces, they were just as surprised as I was. Roy and Thomas, however, did not seem surprised. I wondered if Lord Grillo, Tibbetts, and Palotai even knew that the king of Africa was a queen. How could they not?

"Simone," Roy greeted. "So nice of you to join us"

Simone smiled, making her face brighten more. "Sorry, I'm late," she said. "I wasn't sure how to get here..."

Roy smiled slightly. "Its alright. Its a difficult to country to travel."

Simone's smile grew and she looked at the still flabbergasted kings. "You must be the other three lords."

They said nothing, only stared at her. I was becoming extremely lost.

"Who is this?" Lord Palotai asked. He seemed to be the most affected by Lady Simone's arrival. His eyes were locked on her, while the others had at least ventured away. I managed to hide my smile.

"Lady Simons..." Thomas answered. "Don't you know?"

The three kings shook their heads. Roy and Thomas looked at each other with worry and then at Lady Simons. "You didn't inform the others?" asked Roy.

"I thought the Council were to do that," the queen said. "I simply wrote to you because I knew you," she said to Roy.

"So you're the new king of Africa?" Lord Grillo asked, crossing his massive arms.

"Queen," Lady Simons corrected with a smile. "But, yes. I am the new ruler of Africa."

"What happened to Marco?” Lord Tibbetts asked. “I haven't heard from him, but I at least thought he was still ruling.”

“All I know is that he stepped down so abruptly, they needed someone to stand in,” said Simone. “I'm sorry for the confusion.”

“Its fine,” Lord Palotai intervened quickly.

Simone smiled at him and then looked at us three commoners huddled in the corner. “Who are these young people?”

Thomas and Roy looked at us as though just realizing we were there. “Katariina and Ijs Koppig,” Roy introduced. “Kat is visiting with Thomas and Ijs is a student here. And then...Sera...phine Sollys is a friend.”

I saw the the other lords throw quizzical glances at one another at the way Roy said my name. I quickly studied the floor at my feet.

“Before Simone came,” Roy continued quickly, catching the glances as well. “Sean, you said our council was concerning Mephisto?”

The blond king nodded. “He's been spending a lot of time in his lab...Sources say he's planning something.”

“Like?” Thomas asked.

“A weapon,” Lord Tibbetts answered. “One that he might use against us all.”

“You're sure of this?” asked Roy.

Lord Tibbetts nodded solemnly. “As sure as I can be.”

“We can't just jump in and accuse him,” said Thomas. “He's unstable and paranoid as it is.”

“You're correct,” Lord Palotai spoke, running a hand through his long, brown hair. “We've all been watching him closely. You being so far north, we expected you not to know.”

Roy nodded. I could tell he was considering discussing his own resignation, but the unnerving news of North America's king had him thinking twice. I was hoping that it would make him think about it or at least delay his decision.

“We have to speak with him at least,” said Roy.

“Agreed,” Lord Grillo said. “But if its true, Mephisto has to be stopped.”
♠ ♠ ♠
O_o

Special thanks to our commenters and subscribers!