Sequel: Design Your Universe
Status: Active

Rule the World

North Americans, What Idiots

Recap:We walked off the bridge, but I felt as though I could still feel his eyes on me.

I walked into the Physics lecture hall and saw that it was empty. I took a seat in the middle and waited. My uniform was more comfortable than I thought. It consisted of a dark blue tunic, embroidered with silver, and a black belt, pants, and boots.

I fiddled with my medallion as a few people strayed in. I wasn't sure what to expect in a class. After all, I'd never been to school.

"You're Seraphine Sollys."

I jumped and turned in my seat to see a pretty girl smiling from the seat behind me.

"Yes, I am," I answered hesitantly.

Her smile grew. "You danced with Lord Khan last night. You're very lucky."

I studied her closely, configuring that her accent was eastern North American. "Thank you?"

"I hear you got nearly a perfect score on the exams. Only missed one? How'd you do it?"

"I learned and listened," I said.

She didn't seem satisfied with my answer. "Well...whatever that means. I'm Jane Nielsen, by the way." She held out her hand.

I took it hesitantly. It was a weak, meaningless shake with soft hands that hadn't worked a day in their lives. A dire contrast to my own calloused and scarred ones.

"My own king sent me," she said and I could hear in her tone I was supposed to be impressed. "He thinks highly of my family."

Honestly, no one who was thought highly by Lord Mephisto deserved to be admired. I was beginning to like this girl less and less. I just gave her a blank look.

"So tell me about yourself," she said cheerily. "How about your family? Are they close with Lord Khan?"

"No," I said. "My parents are dead and I lived with my grandmother. We barely even ever had a pot to piss in."

She blinked at my blunt remark. "You were poor?"

This girl was so dense. "Yes, and we still are. I didn't buy my way here."

"Neither did I!" Jane replied quickly. "I'm smart."

I doubted that. "I'm sure you are."

She scowled at me. Apparently, she wasn't dumb enough to miss my sarcastic tone. Her face softened then, but I could see the diabolical gears working in her mind. She maybe didn't think she was, but I found this Jane to be like an open book.

"I'm sorry to hear about your parents. What happened to them?"

"They died."

"I realize that. How?"

"Frankly, its none of your business," I hissed and turned back around in my seat. North Americans...What idiots.

|

"Oh, yes, Jane Nielsen. She's a handful," Rosin told me as we moved to a table to eat.

"She's so...arrogant and..."I shook my head and grabbed a plate.

"I know. I have five classes with her."

"My deepest apologies."

Rosin smiled. "How do you like your classes?"

I snorted. "Easy. I don't have a problem."

"Figured as much. You'll be graduated from here before half the years over."

"Doubt that," I smiled. "Plus, I like it here. But I miss Gram and Dax too. I feel guilty living large here and they're stuck in Lore."

Rosin gave me a sympathetic look. "I'm sure they're happy for you though."

We moved from the line, plates filled, and I met with none other than Jane.

She grinned at me. "Hi, Seraphine! Would you mind sitting with us?" She gestured to a table where a group of people were looking at us with a little too friendly of expressions.

"Um...sure? I guess we would..."

"Not her," Jane said shortly, looking at Rosin. "Just you."

"Then no thanks," I said and went to move off when the plate was knocked from my hands.

"Oops. My bad. I bet you're used to eating filthy food anyway since you're so poor."

"Hey, back off!" Rosin growled.

Jane ignored her. "I heard why your parents died, Seraphine. They were traitors to this country, weren't they?"

"No, they weren't!" Rosin spat.

"Just lousy barbarians with no morals."

"Shut your mouth before I shut it for you!"

I said nothing, but the plate I'd picked up was shaking in my hand. I couldn't meet her eyes.

"They were traitors!" Jane shouted so the whole hall could hear. "Scum. They're better off rotting away in a hole--"

I slapped her across the face before she could say anything more. "You don't know a thing," I said between clenched teeth.

She looked at me in shock before her face darkened and with a scream she threw her plate at me. I dodged it and grabbed her by the shirt, throwing her to the ground. My years of labor had paid off. She kicked out at me and nailed me in the knee before dragging me down with her. I scratched and clawed, hit and slapped, managing to get a few hits in before a pair of hands drug us apart.

"That's enough out of you two!" Headmistress Svart shrieked, coming to stand in between us. "This is not a place of fighting! We do not stand for such behavior here!"

"She's barbaric!" Jane spat. "An absolute...caveman! She has no idea how to act in civilization!"

"Shut the fuck up, bitch!" Rosin shouted.

"That's enough out of you Miss Tavi!" Svart snapped. "You two! To my office! Now!"

I shrugged away from the hands that were holding me back and slouched behind Svart to her office.

The door slammed shut behind us and Svart gestured sharply to two chairs in front of her desk. We sat down heavily and I dreaded what was coming. I can't believe I'd done what I did.

"This behavior..." Svart said with a shake of her head, "is unacceptable. I have every right to suspend you both!"

"You can't, Headmistress Svart!" Jane shrieked. "I've done nothing wrong, but speak the truth! She's the one that--"

"Silence, Miss Nielsen! Continue talking and I'll have you expelled." She turned her attention to me. "Just because this is your first day, doesn't mean you be treated differently."

"I wasn't expecting it, Headmistress."

"Who started the fight?"

"She did!" Jane said immediately, pointing at me. "She slapped me."

I didn't say anything. She was right; I'd take what I got.

"Well, then, Miss Sollys. Suspension..." She trailed off and her eyes widened. "Lord Khan!"

Jane and I turned around and I jumped to my feet. Jane followed a few moments later. He was standing in the doorway, the same brooding, dark expression I'd seen on his face the night of the ball.

"Is there a problem?" he asked.

"Nothing I can't handle, your Highness," Headmistress Svart said sweetly, smiling.

"I heard you saying about suspension..."

"Oh, these two girls were fighting and, as you know, we have a no fighting policy. I was planning on suspending Miss Sollys. She started the fight."

"Why did she?"

Mrs. Svart seemed taken aback by this question. "Well...I-I-I don't...know."

Lord Khan arched an eyebrow at her and looked at me. "Would you care to explain to her why you started it?"

I swallowed and looked at the floor. "Jane...Jane said my parents were better off rotting in a hole. She said they were barbarians."

"Just like you," Jane said snidely to me, but started back when he turned his gaze on her.

"There will be no insulting a person's lineage. And there will be no suspension. Leave this off as a warning, Mrs. Svart."

Headmistress looked like she wanted to protest, but only nodded. "Of course, your Highness."

He bowed his head, glanced at me with a look I couldn't place, and left.

"Well, girls. Off with you then."

"Special treatment of the king. How lovely," Jane growled after we were walking down the hall.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Jane snorted. "You've got his number, if you ask me. Don't be so ignorant."

"I didn't ask you and, frankly I'm not ignorant. I don't take hand-outs from my higher individuals, just so we're clear." And with that, I turned off into an opposite hallway.

It was narrower, no windows, dark and abandoned, and I didn't know where it went. I didn't care. I found a doorway and huddled inside it.

Then the tears came.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw. :( Poor Sera. So something's up with Seraphine's family... Hope you all liked it! :)