Status: Slow and steady wins the race.

We Are The Tide

Here's To Words That Tell The Truth, When It's Easier To Lie

“The only reason why I’m letting you come with me to pick out a new car is because you’ll probably be riding in it the most.” Garrett pulled into a car lot, cutting the engine of John’s ancient truck with a sigh.

“So what’s your price range, so I know what cars I’m allowed to fall in love with.”

“Uhhh, probably about 8 grand or so? Maybe more if I have to, depending on what we find. Less if we’re lucky.”

“8? Okay, that’s decent enough.” The two started browsing the lot, wandering through the line of cars available. Most of them in his price range weren’t what he was looking for, their options dwindling the longer they searched. Too big. Too small. Too boxy. Not the right color.

“Is there something in particular you’re looking for?” A salesman approached them as they stopped to give a Land Rover a second glance. The smaller Freelander was a perfect fit.

“Well, actually, this could be a winner.” Garrett slowly walked around the car, eyeing it from all angles as Sam read over the features list from the window.

“Leather interior, four door, five seater, plenty of interior space in the back. Decent looking stereo, on-board navigation system, automatic, nice color. And it’s one of those SUV types that I know you like. Definitely a step up from your last car. At least somewhat less of an eye-sore. A perfect fit for a more grown-up Gary.”

“Hey, she was good to me. We’d been together since high school. My longest relationship.”

“Would you like to take it for a spin?” The salesman offered, interrupting the two’s conversation. They nodded, and he left to retrieve the key. The three climbed in the car, Garrett starting the engine and driving around the block.

“So whadyathink Gar? It’s pretty spacious back here, plenty of room to spread out. And oh look, the back seat even folds down for more room. John could even fit back here.”

“This is actually really nice babe, I like it. I’m glad you pointed it out.” Garrett ran his fingers across the dashboard during a red light.

“Well good, ‘cause I’m really loving these leather seats right now. I think we should get it.” Sam leaned back against the seat, running her fingers across the black leather. Garrett messed with the knobs on the stereo, testing out the radio and built-in on board navigation system before turning to the air conditioning and heated seating features. This car had just about everything he was looking for, and while it wasn’t his old yellow car he’d been accustomed to for so long, he was ready for a change.

“Well if you love it, then that’s all the reason we need.” The sarcasm in Garrett’s voice was evident, but Sam could tell he loved the car as well.

“While this is marked at virtually 9, I’m not spending more than 8.” Garrett crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair. They’d been discussing a price and payment options, Garrett leaning toward a cash sale while the salesman was pushing for a credit plan on a fixed interest rate.

“I’d take our offer, Sir, if I were you. This car’s almost ten years old, and while the mileage is decent, it’s not a new car. The market value on this particular model is in the mid-seven thousand range. Charging us 9, and trying to corner us into a credit sale just so you can make a little extra on commission is a cheap shot. I’ve done some research, and we’re not interested in that. We have cash for 8, which is more than what this car is worth. You should be happy we’re not low-balling for 7. Of course, if you’re not interested in making the sale, then we can easily be done here and thank you for your time.” Sam spoke up, making stern eye contact with the salesman who was growing shadier by the minute with each push toward the higher price.

“Nicely done, babe.” Garrett whispered as he looked at her, surprised at the words coming out of her mouth.

“I actually know a lot about cars, in case you didn’t know.” Sam turned to Gary with a matter-of-fact expression. “There’s a lot more where this came from too. Gar, don’t worry, I got this.” Turning back to the salesman, she continued her case, eventually talking him into the sale for 8 and even getting him to throw in a few extra amenities.

After the paperwork was signed and the keys were handed over, they returned to John’s truck feeling successful.

“Uhh, Gary. I’m excited that you have a new car, but slight problem. We now have two cars on this lot, and only one of us has a driver’s license. How are we going to get both cars back to the apartment?”

Garrett laughed as “oops” fell from his lips and pulled out his phone. He shot a quick text to John, agreeing to return with him to have a second driver, and would leave Sam here to wait.

“I’m sure you and your husband will love this car.” The salesman approached Sam after Garrett had driven off with the truck, leaving her behind with the keys to the new car.

“Suitable for all of your family needs. I’ve seen a surprising number of young couples choose this car to match that new baby transition. It’s more rugged than a minivan, which seems to appeal to the husbands, and the on-board navigation and spacious leather interior appeals to the wives more often. Overall, a good choice for the two of you, I can tell.”

“What? Oh, no, he’s not my husband.” Sam’s surprise was evident in her tone as she processed the salesman’s assumption.

“Your boyfriend then.” The Salesman said, mildly apologetic in his tone. “Buying a car together is a sure sign of a serious relationship. I’m sure the proposal’s not far off.”

“We’re not together.” Sam deadpanned.

“Oh, well you coulda fooled me.” He mumbled under his breath.

“Never mind then, my mistake. Enjoy your new car.” He turned on his heel, exiting the conversation without further explanation.

“Whatadouche.” Sam mumbled to herself as she unlocked the car and climbed in the passenger seat, John’s white truck pulled into the lot soon after. He wasn’t very far away when Garrett texted him. John gave his approval for the purchase, mentioning that Garrett should take it to the beach with them tomorrow so they would only have to drive one car. He happily agreed, excited to finally have his own car again.

Garrett and Sam climbed into the new SUV and buckled up. Shifting the car into gear, Garrett drove out of the parking lot, Sam heaving a sigh at the last sight of the salesmen.

“Have you ever thought about learning to drive, Sami?” Garrett’s question pulled the girl out of her silence and she looked at him a bit confused until it registered what he was asking.

“Oh, uh, I’ve told you. I don’t need to know how to drive because of all the transportation around here.” She said as she redirected her attention out the window, staring at nothing in particular.

“Are you okay? You seem really distracted.” He said, concerned.

“Uh, they just took a couple of tests at the doctor’s and I’m just nervous about how they’ll all turn out.” She said looking back at Garrett.

“I’m sure you’re fine. If anything, they just prescribe you some medication and you’ll be good as new.” Garrett said, slightly worried that she had gone to the doctor without informing him, but soon calming down when remembering how she wasn’t feeling well earlier in the week.

Image


A knock on her bedroom door followed by Garrett opening the door and leaning against the frame the next morning with a mug of coffee in his hand interrupted Sam’s contemplation of what to pack.

“You almost ready? I texted John saying we were on our way over, so it's time to get in the car now. What are you doing?"

“What? Oh. Nothing. Okay." She let out a sigh, throwing a few more random articles of clothing into her bag before zipping it up.

“Hey, Sami, you doing okay?”

“I’m fine Gary." She let out a somewhat aggravated sigh. "Where’s Mel? She here yet?” Sam grabbed her bag, passing by him through the door out to the living room to find Mel waiting on the couch, a small bag packed and waiting by the door.

The three climbed into Garrett's new car, arriving at John and Lucy's house maybe ten minutes later. While Lucy may be a terrible cook, she's a thoughtful planner and packed various coolers full of food and drinks for the weekend and had them stacked neatly by the door in the living room when the three stepped inside.

"Oh good, you're here now. JOHN, THEY'RE HERE, LET'S GO!" Lucy yelled down the stairs, summoning her husband from another floor of the house. John eventually moseyed up the stairs and into the living room as everyone else helped to pack up the car. He had a backpack slung over one shoulder and a pillow tucked under an arm.

"That's all you're taking with you? Babe, we're going to be gone until Wednesday, remember?"

"Darling, I've toured before. Trust me. I could survive on less than this. Besides, whatever I've forgotten, I'm sure you have packed. We're going to the beach, not moving. We can live without it."

"Do we have everything? Garrett, I texted you the address so you could look up directions with your GPS. Did you get it? Where's Casper?" Lucy's list of last minute irrelevant questions was halted when John grabbed her by the arm and pulled her into a hug with a kiss on her head.

"It's fine love, remember this is just a trip to the beach. We're not moving. Let's go."

With all of their bags along with various coolers of food and drinks tucked away like tetris in the back, everyone surprisingly fit with enough legroom to survive the drive, even John.

“See Gar, I told you John could fit back here.”

“Yeah, actually I do, ‘cause Mel’s short so the seat’s pushed forward enough. I’m impressed Gary, this is nice.”

After stopping for gas, they were on the road heading toward the beach, Casper curled up in Sam’s lap with Kid Cudi blasting through the speakers to start their trip. They made the trip in just under two hours, everyone rolling down their windows to feel the fresh ocean air at the first sightings of the ocean as it came into view alongside the highway. They drove along the coast line for another few minutes before turning off the highway onto a side road, rounding a few corners and eventually arriving at a private drive. A light blue cabin stood between them and the ocean. The five quickly hopped out of the car, approaching the house, excited to be here and start their mini-vacation.

While the boys unloaded the back of the car with the food, drinks, and other supplies they’d brought for the weekend, the girls each claimed their rooms. There were four bedrooms to choose from which made for plenty of space, however, only the master bedroom and one other had a large bed, which the couples each claimed. Sam was left to choose between two twin sized beds, choosing the slightly larger more elegant looking room after Casper quickly made himself at home on the bed in that room.

A large fireplace in the main living room was connected to the kitchen and dining area to make one large open space. Giant bayside windows along the walls of the room let the sunshine in and made a perfect view of the wrap around back deck and beach stretched out in front of them. There was a built in fire pit in the corner of the deck, Lucy commenting on how they used to make s’mores there as a kid and had remembered to bring the appropriate supplies. Sam stepped outside onto the deck, walking past the hot tub in the opposite corner of the fire pit and jumping the few steps down to the sand. She had removed her shoes in her room, squishing the cool sand between her toes and closing her eyes as she felt the warmth of the pre-noon sunshine against her skin.

“Hey Sam,” Lucy’s voice called from the deck behind her, bringing her back. “We’re trying to decide what to do for lunch. You hungry?”

She nodded and followed back up the steps toward the house, brushing the sand off her toes before she stepped back in the door.

The group opted to find a restaurant somewhere in town for lunch, noting the bbq grill outside on the side deck to save for dinner later that night. After lunch at a cafe on the boardwalk, they stopped at an ice cream parlor across the way before taking a stroll through the sand. A swing set and mini playground were set up a little ways down the beach from where they were, Lucy and Mel running ahead and claiming two swings.

John jogged ahead with Casper leading him on the leash, leaving Garrett and Sam to trail behind.

“So how’s Sami?” Garrett nudged her in the ribs lightly as they walked side by side.

“Fine.”

“You were pretty quiet in the car ride here, what’s up?”

“Nothing.”

“A quiet Sami is one thing, a silent Sami is another. Y’know I’m here for you right? Whatever it is. Whatever’s going on.”

“I know, Gary.” Sami kept her replies short, not wanting to talk about the thoughts racing through her mind the entire car ride.

“Okay.” He sighed, knowing that’s all he would get out of her, and didn’t want to ruin the afternoon from continuing to pester her. He wrapped his arm around her waist, in a side hug and rejoined the group, the subject dropped for now as they enjoyed the sunshine and the playground. John had stolen Lucy’s shoes off her feet as she swung mid-air, running up the metal stairs to the top of the weathered jungle gym. Garrett followed after him with Mel’s a minute or two later, the boys hiding at the top as the girls attempted to slow themselves down enough to hop off the swings.

Tied to the park bench a few feet away, Casper barked and tugged on his leash in response to Lucy’s yells and John’s laughter. Sam sat and watched in mild amusement as the boys darted through the structure and across the bouncing bridge to the other side, shoes still in hand, eventually sliding down the tube slide and colliding with some children at the bottom. Lucy regained her shoes from his grip, smacking him repeatedly, leaving behind sand prints on his t-shirt as he struggled to stand up at the bottom of the slide. The children had since recovered and ran off, no harm, no foul. John wasn’t so lucky. Mel stood with her hands on her hips behind Lucy, Garrett quickly handing the kidnapped shoes back with a sheepish smile.

After moving on from the playground, they made their way back to the car, deciding to return to the house to change before properly hitting the beach.

Image


Lucy set up a blanket she found in the hall closet on the warm sand a few feet away from the tide line, laying out in her bikini to soak up the sun. Mel and Sam decided to join her while Garrett and John took off for the water with Casper in tow.

“They’re going to last three seconds. I don’t think they realize how cold the ocean actually is up here.”

“All I know is, if Gary tries to drag me in there, shit’s gonna get real.” Mel closed her eyes, settling into the blanket against the sand. A string of curses rang through the air as the boys came running back toward the blanket soaking wet.

“Holy fuck that water’s cooooooold.” John collapsed next to Lucy, his shorts dripping wet and seeping through the fabric of the blanket.

“JOHN, your dog is getting us all wet!” Lucy scolded, sitting up and swatting her husband across the shoulder. Casper had come running up onto the blanket a second later from the water, shaking himself off and spraying wet sand all over them.

“Why is this water so fucking cold?” Garrett whined, wrapping his towel around himself to dry off.

“This is Oregon,” Sam interjected. “In case you forgot, this isn’t some beach in Brazil, or Hawaii, or Florida, or even California as you’ve been to before on tour. People don’t go in the water unless they’re mental.”

“Those were some nice beaches. Brazil was definitely my favorite. The water was perfect, the sand was warm, it was beautiful. They had the hottest women there too.” John earned a swat from his wife as he reminisced.

“Remember the last time we were in Brazil and we buried you up to your head in the sand?” Garrett snickered.

“Yeah that was a great moment until you guys left me. Fuck you guys.” The girls giggled as the boys argued.

“Hey, we came back… thanks to Jared.”

John flipped him the bird with an eye roll before turning to admire the water, propping himself up on his elbows. The group sat there for a little bit longer, the conversation dying as they soaked up the sun and the view before John and Lucy decided to go for a walk down the beach together at the water’s edge.

Garrett and Mel were cuddled up together on half of the blanket in the O’Callaghans’ absence, leaving Sam with a heavy feeling of being the fifth wheel, just as she’d predicted. She stared out into the water, watching the waves mechanically flow back and forth against the sand, the bubbles inching ever so slowly closer to their blanket yet still a few feet away. She reached into her bag, pulling out her iPod and allowed Ryan Adam’s soothing voice to wash over her as she sat alone on the other half of the blanket, brushing her fingers through the sand.

Image


John fired up the grill for dinner, doing surprisingly well with a beer in hand. Garrett accompanied him, the two chatting on the deck while the ladies prepared the rest of the food in the kitchen. Mel was an excellent cook, taking control of the kitchen while Sam assisted and Lucy sat and watched. Lucy was put in charge of the salad with it being common knowledge she couldn't cook to save her life.

"Grill's done!" John shouted through the open patio door, the aroma of the freshly fire grilled burgers wafting through the air as Garrett carried the plate in.

"Let's eat, I'm starving!" Lucy handed each of them a plate and they dished up, sliding into the breakfast nook and around the table. They broke out the alcohol, whiskey being the favorite of the group. Sam volunteered to serve them, passing jack and cokes all around.

They ate and drank until they were full, Lucy and Mel quickly cleaning the kitchen as Garrett attempted to tackle the DVD player on the ancient television.

"What are we gonna watch? Find something good."

John browsed the minimal collection on the shelf under the tv, pulling two or three cases from the shelf. "The only decent movie here is Star Wars, lucky us. Anyone up for a marathon? They've got 4, 5, and 6."

"This is us we're talking about, babe. Duhh." Lucy hopped up from the couch in search of popcorn, returning shortly with two large bowls. They settled in as the opening credits played, John and Lucy curled up together on the loveseat with Mel and Garrett shoulder to shoulder with their fingers intertwined on one half of the couch, Sam and Casper on the other.

With one bottle of whiskey gone and a second well on its way, there was more popcorn on the floor from flirting than left in the bowl and the giggles and mumbles coming from the love seat in the corner were interrupting a quiet moment of the second film.

"Y'know, if you're just gonna grope each other like that the whole time, your bedroom's right down the uhh hallway. Get the fuck outta here, n-nobody wants to see that." Garrett threw a pillow at the couple across from them who had since lost all interest in a movie they'd seen several times before.

John patted Lucy on the leg, standing from the chair and reaching for the remote. The volume bar increased on the screen and he gave the group a wink as he turned to leave, his hands gripping Lucy's hips as she swatted him.

"What, I'm just being thoughtful so they don't complain about the the noise..."

"Get the fuck out already, gross." Sam picked up the pillow on the floor and whacked the couple's legs until they sped off down the hallway.

"Gross, now we gotta picture that down the hall while we watch this m-movie."

"Y'know Gary, it is my only night here before I have to go. There's an empty hot tub calling our name..." Mel stared at him until his frown turned to a knowing smirk. He leaned in, leaving sloppy kisses against her neck while reaching over to turn the movie off with the remote.

"HEY, I'm still watching that!" Sam scolded, hitting Garrett with a pillow.

"Oh, s-sorry Sami, m-my bad. We're heading outside now. Y-you have a good night."

Sam rolled her eyes with a scoff and mumbled a "yeah, you too." as they stumbled off down the hallway together. As the movie continued to play, she ignored it as she grazed her fingers across Casper's fur. "You ready for bed Casper?" He snuggled further into her lap and let out a sigh in response. It was barely after midnight and while Sam wasn't exactly tired, she didn't feel like starting the third movie alone. Garrett and Mel returned shortly, dressed in bathing suits and towels, passing through the room toward the back door toward the hot tub around the corner. Sam let out a sigh, wishing she wasn't alone, knowing nothing could take her mind off that feeling. She flipped mindlessly through the five channels available without cable TV, unsuccessfully deciding to retreat to her room after 12:30.

Image


Sam didn't bother to set an alarm, feeling justified that she was on vacation and therefore, didn't have to be up at any certain time. She rolled over, the blankets uncomfortably tangled around her frame waking her up. She sat up with a sigh, signs of hunger and the aroma of food cooking in the kitchen leading her to shuffle toward civilization. She turned the corner and stopped in her tracks. She crossed her arms and rolled her eyes as she watched John's boxer clad body wrapped around Lucy in a heated kiss against the counter as the food cooked unattended on the stove.

"I'd wish you two a good morning, but clearly I'd be interrupting."

John’s hand untangled itself from his wife’s hair to flash her the middle finger as they continued the kiss, Lucy’s giggle forcing them apart a moment later. John turned to tend to the food, one hand scratching the back of his neck in slight embarrassment as Lucy turned to her best friend with a sheepish grin.

“Hey, we’re married okay. And my husband was kind enough to cook us some breakfast since I’m useless in the kitchen.”

“Whatever you guys do in the privacy of your own home, please don’t answer that, is your business, but this is the beach and I’m on vacation. I’d prefer not to see it and have it ruin my breakfast, thank you very much.” Lucy giggled as Sam scrunched her face in slight disgust.

“There’s some toast, eggs, bacon, and hashbrowns. My man went all out, trying to make me some breakfast in bed, but I accidentally ruined it.”

“Yeah you did.” John mumbled from behind them. Lucy rolled her eyes with a scoff as she continued.

“Sorry babe, but it’s the thought that counts, and you won’t go unrewarded.” She ran her fingers against his bare shoulder as she spoke, his back turned to them facing the stove. “But anyway, there’s cereal in one of the cabinets too if you’d rather have that. Mel and Garrett are already gone, I think he might actually be back in an hour or so?”

Sam shuffled toward the cabinet, in search for a plate and scooped up a few pieces of bacon. After putting a big pile of hashbrowns on the dish, she found the ketchup in the refrigerator and drizzled it on top. She sat at the island and started shovelling food into her mouth.

“So I was thinking,” Sam spoke up after finishing her bite, “Maybe after breakfast, we could do some sight seeing? Lucy and I have grown up here so we know the coast well, but you two have yet to see it.”

“We could go to Mo’s, and Haystack Rock, and a few other places too. Babe, let’s go! I’ve always wanted to show you.”

“Since Gary’ll be back in about an hour, that gives us time for us all to take a quick shower and get ready before he gets back.”

“Does Garrett not get a say in what we do today?” John asked

“No, I’m navigator.” Sam said, and wordlessly made her way toward her room to get ready.

John and Lucy eyed her retreating figure and Lucy said, “I thought Garrett had GPS?”

“I don’t even know.”
Image


Garrett returned a little after noon, John filling him in on how neither of them had a say in where they were going that afternoon before they all piled into his car to head out.

“Who says Sami gets to be navigator? She doesn’t even have a license.”

“Do you even know where we are?” Sam shot back.

“Uhh, America? The ocean? Somewhere still in Oregon?” Garrett’s smartass comments earned him a slap against the arm as Sam rolled her eyes.

“Just drive south and I’ll tell you when to turn, okay? It’s not that hard. Trust me, you’ll have a good time.”

“Did you remember your camera, Gar? Some of the places we’re taking you guys are absolutely gorgeous, you’d get some great photos.”

“Uhh, I think so. It should be in the back seat somewhere.” John dug around behind him and retrieved the bag, pulling out the camera and proceeded to take candid photos of the group in the car as they drove down the highway.

A quick fifteen minutes later, Sam was instructing Garrett where to turn and they arrived at their first destination. They hopped out of the car with Casper on his proper leash, heading down the path from the parking lot to the sand.

“Here we are gentlemen, stop number one, Haystack Rock.”

Garrett snapped a few photos of the group together before turning to take some scenic shots on his own. John and Lucy took off with Casper down the beach toward the rock, leaving Sam behind by herself to think and shuffled slowly through the sand.

“Hey Sami,” Garrett snapped a few photos of her from a few feet away as she turned around. “There’s that smile I’ve been missing. C’mon, let’s go exploring.”

They spent the better part of that first hour exploring the tide pools and taking photos of everything around them, stepping up to their ankles in the water and wading around in the tide together. John and Lucy returned with Casper, and before they headed back to the car, Garrett found someone to take a group photo for them.

“Destination number two, a classic beach tradition in my family--”

“Mine too!” Lucy interjected as Sam explained where they were off to next.

“Mo’s.” An eclectic looking seafood restaurant stood before them as they stopped for lunch, Garrett overplaying the tourist card yet again with his camera in hand.

“Yo, John, Luce, scoot in.” Garrett waved his camera in front of him, signaling a photo op of the couple across the table from him while they waited for their food. He passed the camera across the table and Lucy took the same photo of he and Sam sitting together. After lunch, they browsed the boardwalk briefly before returning to the car for destination number three.

“Time for dessert.” Sam instructed Garrett back toward the highway and off they went.

“But we just ate. I’m too full for dessert.” John whined from the backseat.

“It’ll be a bit of a drive before we get there, trust me. We have time.”

“Where’s this place at?” Garrett asked as he drove to an unknown destination.

“That’s a secret. I’ll tell you where to turn, remember?” Sam turned to face forward, settling into her seat.

“Yeah, you guys will love it. This is one of my favorite places to go every time I’ve gone to the beach.” Lucy smiled, scratching behind Casper’s ears as he curled into her lap.

After almost an hour of driving to an unknown destination, Sam announced to the group they would be there shortly, telling Garrett to turn off at the next exit. They drove for a few more minutes before they started hitting scattered businesses by the main road, the surroundings filled with hills and green grass opposed to the ocean, and the air smelled strongly of cattle.

“There it is you guys, I hope you’re excited.” They approached a large white and blue factory, pulling into the parking lot and finding a spot in the crowded lot.

“The Tillamook Cheese Factory. Home of my favorite cheese in the world. I’ve even been cheese tasting in Wisconsin, and this is better than that. Trust me.” Lucy grabbed John by the hand and led the group toward the building, Sam and Garrett trailing a few feet behind as Garrett snapped a few photos of the view. As soon as they walked inside, Lucy pulled John to the hole in the face display of a cow and a dairy farmer, insisting they take photos together. They took turns with their faces in each hole, trying different combinations until everyone had been in each hole. The next room started the beginning of the factory tour, Lucy and Sam dragging the boys through the whole thing, room after room explaining each window. They came while the production line was in operation, able to watch the workers in action from the viewing windows. The guys surprisingly enjoyed themselves having never been to a place like that before. Every time they had visited Oregon on tour back with their band, they only experienced a few block radius from the venue. Now that they were residents, they had time to explore the state better and see everything it had to offer inside and outside the city. The tour concluded with cheese tasting and hitting up the ice cream bar for dessert.

“Holy crap babe, that photo of you and Gary you instagrammed as the cows like an hour ago already has over a thousand notes on it. You still have that many followers? Or, excuse me, adoring fans.” John shrugged, nodding his head with a laugh.

“Apparently people still care about this shit.”

“The comments on it though. Do you ever read through that and just shake your head at some people’s children?” Sam laughed, and everyone pulled out their phones to look. Comments of varying degrees of how sexy John and Garrett were, people making fun of them, and even a few “marry me johnohhh” still slipped in.

“I bet they’re still holding out for a reunion tour.” Lucy giggled, shaking her head at the proposals.

“The uproar that would occur if we even joked about that.” Garrett laughed, tucking his phone back in his pocket. “I still get at-replies all the time from fans on twitter about it, and it’s been two years since we called it quits. Technically, does this mean we’re just on hiatus?”

"What, you mean like this?" He pulled out his phone, typing away a new message before handing it over to Garrett.

The Boyz are Back. 62615.

"That's when we're going back home from the beach." Lucy laughed, "If you post that, people are going to think something huge is happening."

"You guys are ridiculous." Sam laughed at them as John tweeted it anyway. They finished up their ice cream dessert, starting the hour long drive back to the house.

Image


They managed to find a liquor store on the drive home, stocking up on three bottles of Jack before they made it back to the house. They ordered a pizza from down the street and decided tonight was a night to drink in the hot tub. John hooked up his iPod with some dance music and the alcohol made its way down among the friends. Each took turns DJing while they filled their glasses with Jack & Cokes, or even straight Jack as the night went on. Sam kept the bottle close, volunteering to refill drinks from the hot tub as each would run out and request more.

"I'm going to the um bathroom, anyone need a refill or something?" Sam downed the rest of the contents of her cup as she stood. She reached out to grab the other glass as Lucy dangled it in front of her, asking for a refill as John buried his face in her neck and his hands under the water. Garrett was still working on his, and John was too distracted to respond. She stumbled out of the hot tub with the two glasses in hand, grabbing a towel from the chair to dry herself off before stepping in the house.

She poured herself and Lucy another drink, setting the empty whiskey bottle in the sink and leaned against the counter for a moment in silence. John shuffled through the door with his cup in hand and a lopsided grin across his face, his shorts dripping water all over the floor from forgetting a towel. He set down his glass on the kitchen counter, mumbling “Bartender, another please.” and headed for the bathroom. Sam grabbed a hand towel and cleaned up the mess after him before returning to the new bottle of Jack on the counter.

“Which one’s mine?” John returned from the bathroom, reaching over and taking a sip from one of the glasses. “Damn, I can hardly taste the Jack in this one. Hand me the bottle, it needs some more.”

“That’s because there is none.” Sam said quietly as she reached out to take the glass from him. “That’s mine. Yours is that one.” She pointed to one of the other glasses on the counter.

“Had enough to drink already?” John said with a smirk, taking the glass in his hand. “It’s barely midnight, I thought you could drink me under the table when it came to Jack.”

“I haven’t had any tonight.” Sam said with a sigh.

“Why not?” John paused, his brow furrowing as he stopped himself from taking a sip.

“Because.” She took a sip of her coke, shrugging slightly and staring at the counter to avoid eye contact with her friend.

“That’s not like you at all to say no to Jack, Sam. What’s up?” Sam sighed, finally meeting his confused gaze.

“Sam, what’s wrong?” John slightly sobering up as his worry heightened.

“Well, I-I don’t know how to say this…” She stopped herself mid-sentence, hesitant to say anything further.

“Say what, Sam?”

“Nothing.” She turned to walk back past him, John reaching out to stop her.

“It’s obviously not “nothing”, what were you going to say? C’mon Sam, whatever it is, you can tell me. I promise I won’t make fun of you.” He said with a laugh and she stared at him for a moment before exhaling and closing her eyes.

“I’m... well, I’m pregnant.” She whispered.

“Wait, what?!” John practically yelled, and Sam quickly covered his mouth, hoping that Garrett and Lucy were too drunk to remember what was going on.

“Shhhhh! Jesus John. I’ve barely admitted it to myself, I don’t need the world to know.” Sam said, dropping her hands and avoiding his stare.

“What are you going to do?” John said somewhat calmly.

“I’m surprised you didn’t ask who’s it is.” Sam said, almost under her breath. “I’m not sure to be quite honest. It’s why I haven’t told anyone. I haven’t even told Gary, and I definitely haven’t told Lucy.” At this, she finally made eye contact with John and his face softened at the confession.

“Hey, hey, it’ll all be okay.” John wrapped her in a warm embrace and Sam couldn’t help but lean into his small frame. He rubbed comforting circles into her back, kissing her head with a sigh as he tried to come up with the right words.

At that moment, Garrett and Lucy stumbled into the kitchen, almost falling on their faces from the wet trail they were leaving behind and their inebriation only hindering their current situation.

“Excuse me, but that is my man.” Lucy gawked, leaning forward with a slight scowl on her face at the two of them.

“Uh-” Sam started but was cut off.

“Sam was just saying she wasn’t feeling too well. I’m going to tuck her into bed. Maybe we should all just go to bed. It’s getting late, and you two seem to have had plenty to drink.” John maneuvered Garrett and Lucy up the stairs while Sam tried cleaning the mess they left behind. John returned momentarily to help .

“You know you have to tell him, right?” John said as he pulled on her arm to get her attention. She only nodded, her mind not completely in the conversation.

“I don’t have a clue how to do it, but you’re right. He deserves to know he’s going to be a father.” Sam ran her fingers through her hair as she stared at the countertop.

“GARY’S THE FATHER?!”

“John!” Sam shushed him again, and he mumbled a sheepish apology at his rather loud outburst in the quiet kitchen. “No, of course not. Garrett is definitely not the father, don’t worry.”

“So wait, who’s the father then?” John’s expression turned from shock to confusion, coming up short at the fact that Sam wasn’t in a relationship, and there hadn’t been anyone around lately who could fit the bill.

Sam licked her lips with a sigh, avoiding John’s stare again with a slight blush. “Um, it’s Rex.”

“Rex?!” John practically shouted in a hushed tone. “The fuck Sam, how did this happen? Were you drunk?! I mean, I know where babies come from, but didn’t you think to use protection or something? I thought you were smarter than that. When did this happen? The wedding?” His impromptu lecture continued as he overreacted to her confession.

“See, this is why I didn’t want to tell anyone. I expected this lecture from Lucy, and maybe Garrett, but not you John. What the hell? But yes, John, we had sex. More than once. A lot, actually, while he was here. Even in your bed a time or two. Hell, that’s probably where it happened. Of course we fucking used protection, I’m not that stupid. It was an accident. I didn’t fucking plan for this to happen. Do you think I asked for this? And in case you didn’t know, he was here until the day you two got back from your honeymoon. We just didn’t tell you there was anything going on between us because we had a feeling this is how you’d react.”

John rushed his hand through his hair, grabbing his glass and filling it with water from the tap, gulping it down before turning to her. “I’m sorry.” His apology was softer than before, sobering up with concern. “You’re an adult and you’re free to make your own decisions. It just caught me off guard is all, I’m sorry I overreacted. That’s the last thing you need.” Sam angrily crossed her arms across her chest, avoiding his stare and ignoring his apology. He stepped forward, pulling her into another hug after watching her cheeks turn a slight pink and her eyes slowly start to water.

“Shhh, it’s going to be okay, Sam. Everything’s going to be okay.” He held her, keeping his arms wrapped protectively around her as she nodded and quietly cried into his chest. “I’m glad you told me. Actually, I feel a little honored. And I promise I won’t tell anyone you don’t want me to. It’s not my secret to tell. Even Lucy, I promise.”

Sam laughed quietly into his chest, wrapping her arms around his frame again, a little less angry. He continued to hold her, rubbing comforting circles across her back while she took deep shaky breaths against his chest.

“I just don’t know what I’m going to do. This is kind of a big deal.”

“Huge, but we’re all here for you. We love you, don’t forget that. Whatever happens, whatever you need, I promise we’re here for you and support you.”

John kissed her atop the head again, unsure what else to say or do to comfort her other than what he was doing. It was a strange feeling to Sam that she was spilling her biggest secrets to John of all people, knowing it would be even more difficult telling everyone else. She leaned back, separating from his grip and wiping her hands across her face to remove the tears before setting her abandoned glass in the sink. She remained silent, the thoughts swimming through her head as she took a few more shaky breaths.

“Sam, there’s uh, something you should know. About Rex. I love the guy to death like my own brothers, don’t get me wrong, but he’s somewhat notorious for flings and terrible with relationships. He’s had an on-again, off-again girlfriend for the past few years, so I hope you don’t expect him to be Prince Charming and propose to you on the spot after you break the news, expecting to be one big happy family. I mean, who knows, he could change his mind and be a stand-up guy, but don’t expect a husband out of this.”

Sam nodded, closing her eyes, attempting to keep her heart from shattering at John’s information.

Lucy poked her head down the stairs after a little while, mumbling for her husband and John gave Sam another quick hug before heading off to his room for the night. Sam crawled into bed, pulling her phone out in the dark and scrolling through the contacts. She stared at Rex’s name and phone number in her phone, not knowing what to do. She couldn’t sleep, drowning in her thoughts as she lay in the dark wide awake for what felt like an eternity. She gave up on sleeping and quietly crept down the hallway, ending up in front of the last door on the left. She turned the knob, hoping it wasn’t locked and slipped through the doorway into the room. She stood silently at the foot of the bed, her eyes adjusting to the darkness of the room and making out Garrett’s sleeping figure sprawled out across the bed and tangled in the blanket. Sam crawled onto the bed, slipping herself into the empty space of the mattress, and nudging Garrett’s arm to scoot over. Instinctually, he wrapped his arm around her, pulling her closer to him as he slept, and Sam curled herself into his arms feeling a little bit better. She focused on the rhythmic rise and fall of his body wrapped around her as he slept, wondering how she would be able to break the news to him and how he would react. His breathing slowly lulled her to sleep, exhaustion eventually shutting her brain and body down for a few hours before sunlight.
♠ ♠ ♠
So basically, this bitch took FOREVER to get out, but here it is. It's a very transition type chapter, with a lot of little pieces to it, but it was necessary for later parts (as all filler chapters are). So as cliche as we didn't want to be, we felt this was also necessary for Sam and Rex. We've had this story for almost a year now and it's nowhere close to being over, which is crazy. Maybe we'll get better at posting more often this year, fingers crossed.

So now John of all people knows, and Garrett, Lucy, and Rex don't. The next couple chapters are gonna be good.

Thanks for sticking with us, love Courtney & Laura xo

Title Credit: The Maine - Untangle Me