Status: Slow and steady wins the race.

We Are The Tide

Do Ya Wanna?

Sam fumbled with her keys as she unlocked the door to her apartment, all the girls giggling in the hallway behind her. As they made their way into the apartment, they collapsed onto the couch in a drunken slur, various laughter and giggles echoing off the walls.

They sprawled around the tiny living room, the television turned on to some late night infomercial. Being the only sober and pregnant one, Tessa had made her way straight to Lucy’s bedroom to turn in shortly after they had arrived, leaving the party to continue without her.

“Y-you guys,” Lucy spoke up after a few minutes. “Imma bitch.” She giggled, bringing the drunken girls attention to her.

“W-why? Whaddya do? Leave Johnny boy hangin’?” Sam smirked.

“Yep. I, uh, we went up-upstairs to his room after we won at beer pong, a-and I let him put the moves on me down to his, his boxers before I pulled the plug. He was so mad, it, it was cute.” Lucy giggled to herself before bringing her smile to a frown as she continued. “The poor guy, he-he’s been deprived for well over a month now, since the, uh, last time he was up here for a weekend. When was that, Sam? V-Valentines Day?”

“That’s c-cold man. He must be going n-nuts. Ken-kenny and I have never gone that long. Even when I’ve been pissed at him, after maybe two or three days, the makeup sex is is incredible.” Emily giggled, the bluntness in her tone a stark contrast to her previously shy demeanor.

“W-well, I convinced him to to wait until after the wedding, a-and he was whining so bad. I almost gave in, but the wedding’s in two days so s-sucks to be him. Oh my god, y-you guys, I’m getting married in two days!” Lucy put her hands to her head in an excited realization, jumping quickly from one topic to another.

“A-and to John. What were you thinking?” Sam stuck her tongue out, making a grossed out face. “He’s so awkward, I-I mean, I love the kid, a-and you two are perfect together, but he’s gangly, a-and bony, and ick.”

“Mmmm, just the way I like it.” Lucy over-dramatized her response, rolling her eyes at her best friend as a pillow from the couch flew through the air, hitting her in the arm. The group of girls giggled over their meaningless conversation, each trading comments back and forth of the boys they loved until it was way past their bedtime.

Image


The clock struck four and the giggles were starting to die down. Emily and Mel were fast asleep, cuddled up on the couch.

“Well, they seem to like each other.” Lucy laughed.

“Yeah really.” Sam responded as they made their way to Sam’s bed.

“This is almost our last time of doing this.” Sam said with a frown.

“You do realize every time the guys are out of town you’re coming to stay with me. That house is too big and scary to stay there alone.” Lucy said. Sam only smiled as she cuddled into the bed.
The lights were off and the two laid in bed, the silence falling between them as their eyelids grew heavy from the alcohol and the late hour.

Image


BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. The morning alarm broke through the silence, awaking the girls from their sleep. Burying their heads under the pillows, Sam pulled her arm out from under the blankets, flipping her middle finder into the air toward the alarm clock with a groan as she mumbled, “Freebird.”. Lucy blindly groped around the night stand, slapping different areas until the beeping stopped. The two groaned at the start of the day and rolled over, exhausted sighs, a reaction to the late night.

There was a quiet knock on the door as Tessa poked her head in. "Good morning ladies." Her voice was sweet and quiet as she carried with her two glasses of water. She set them on the night stand and settled into the edge of the bed, tossing a mini bottle of ibuprofen at Sam. "Jared just called and asked if everyone was up, and wanted to know who he was supposed to pick up from the airport and when."

"Oh yeah, everyone's flying in today." Sam's voice was muffled by the pillow covering her face. Lucy shot up from the bed after taking a quick look at her phone.

"Shit Sam, it's already almost ten. We're behind schedule. We were supposed to be over at the house almost an hour ago." Lucy ran across the hallway, locking herself in the bathroom to shower and get ready. Sam sat up, rubbing her eyes with a yawn and ran her fingers through her hair.

"I was the same way the day before my wedding, and everything turned out fine in the end." Tessa smiled at Sam before heading toward the door." Emily and Mel are up and making breakfast in the kitchen."

"Imma call Gary to send them to the airport in a bit. Thanks for the water." Sam pulled her phone off the side table and dialed Garrett's phone number.

"Sammmmmiiiiiii, what's up?" The thickness of his voice meant she woke him up.

"Hey, Gary, I need someone to volunteer to pick people up from the airport. John's family, Ben, Loren, Richard and Spencer are all flying in at eleven from Phoenix, Dan, Dirk, and Justin are flying in at twelve-thirty from LA, and the rest of the Rocket boys and Marge are flying in from Boston at three. I'm sure John will want to pick up his parents, but I need someone else to go the other times. Can you take care of that? Remind John about his parents. I'm sure Jenny's already called him this morning, but just in case he's not already up. I don't want to forget anyone-"

"I got this Sami, no problem. John's still out of it from last night. He passed out on the couch in his boxers, whining about two days or something, which I think probably has to do with the wedding, but I dunno what about. I'll get him up and showered. Don't worry, it'll be fine."

Sam hung up and laughed.

“What’d he say?” Lucy asked as she walked out of the bathroom with her hair in a towel.

“Apparently John went to sleep complaining about 2 days left.” Lucy busted out laughing at this. “And he said that they’ll get the first arrivals from the airport. I figure that we can just go over when we’re done getting ready. I just hope they don’t get lost at the airport.” Sam said with a laugh.

Image


The girls pulled up in front of the house and made their way inside, each afraid of the damage last night's party left. Jared opened the door as they climbed up the steps, greeting the girls with a friendly hello as he pulled Tessa into a kiss and hug. They stepped through the door, caught off guard at how clean the house was.

Garrett greeted them with a wave and a mouth full of cereal as he sat on a stool at the kitchen island counter. "John's in the shower, Kenny and I cleaned while Pat got us doughnuts. There's a few left if you want some." He gestured to the pink boxes on the counter next to him. Lucy pulled Garrett into a one arm hug before reaching for the doughnuts.

"Thanks Gare, I really appreciate it. My parents will be over later for lunch and I didn't have time to clean this place up." Her eyes grew wide and a laugh left her lips as she opened the small box. "Pat would order this for John." She nudged the small box toward Sam. Inside was a large chocolate covered doughnut in the shape of a penis that had "Buttsex" written in white icing. She rolled her eyes as she closed the box, turning to the larger box to pick out a doughnut.

Lucy took her doughnut of choice with her down the hallway toward John's room, leaving Sam to loiter in the kitchen with Garrett. Mel poked her head in the kitchen and smiled at the two before her eyes fell on the pink box. "Can I have one of those?" She stood at the counter for a moment, waiting for Garrett to respond. When all he could muster was an awkward nod with a mouth full of food, she eagerly dug through the box. A blush crept across his face as he realized his appearance was a bit sloppy. His hair stuck out in different directions, still a tangled mess having just rolled out of bed. He was thankful he had pulled a shirt on before getting food, but he was still in his boxers. He took one look at Mel, who returned his stare with a smile, before his gaze was back on his food. "Imma, um, gonna, uhh, go get d-dressed now, bye." He slid off the stool and dropped his bowl in the sink before darting out of the room.

Sam and Mel looked at each other and giggled at his hasty exit.

"Did you have a good time last night?" Sam started the conversation, smiling at Mel as she sat on the now empty stool.

"Yeah, I did." Mel smiled to herself as she took a bite of her breakfast.

"There's another dinner tonight, you should come. I bet Gary would like it." Sam smiled, her tone of voice in match making mode.

"I would love to. I get off at seven tonight, which reminds me, Imma be late if I don't get outta here now." She glanced at the clock on the stove and swore under her breath. "I gotta go to work. I'll try, just text me to remind me." She grabbed her purse off the table and headed toward the hallway.

Sam pulled out her phone, checking her to-do list. "Pick up a million people from the airport. Drop off decorations. Confirm the flowers. Meet at the gardens by four." As she looked over the list, checking the time and feeling the stress level start to slowly rise, Rex moseyed into the kitchen, stopping just past the entryway and leaned against the door frame.

Sam glanced up at him and caught his stare. She could feel the heat on her cheeks and didn't know where it was coming from. A black tank top and matching basketball shorts adorned his lean frame, the muscles of his arms defined as he reached up to scratch behind his ear.

He cleared his throat after a moment, a small smile playing at his lips. "Good morning." Sam smiled a light smile in response, averting her gaze back to her list. "So Lucy said you're the maid of honor? We didn't get to talk much yesterday, but, uh, hi." He let out a light laugh, unsure of how to continue. "I'm, um, here to help with whatever you need to get done. Like, pick stuff up and whatnot. What, uhh, needs to get done?"

Sam stared at him for a moment, the butterflies seeping into her tummy with each pause that came from his lips. "Oh, okay. Yes. That would, um, that would be great. I think John and Kenny are going to the airport now to pick up his family. I need someone to, uhhh, help take decorations over to the Crystal if you'd, um, like to go with me?"

“Uh, sure, yeah. I just have to get dressed.” Rex said as he took a doughnut and headed upstairs.

“I saw that.” Lucy said as Sam turned around with a blush on her cheeks. “You have a thing for Tyrannosaurus Rex.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Sam said defensively.

“Don’t even deny it. You were checking out his ass.” Lucy said with a smirk. At this statement, Sam’s cheeks burned even brighter. She then stormed out of the room and made her way to the bathroom to splash her face with water.

Image


Sam was sitting on the couch reading a random magazine she had found when Rex had come into the room. He was wearing converse with skinny jeans and a black leather jacket. His hair was perfectly sculpted.

“Um, ready?” He asked as he ran his fingers through his hair.

“Uh, yeah. I have to find Lucy’s car keys first. Can you drive?” She asked.

“Well, yeah. Why don’t you drive?” Rex responded.

“Ha, I don’t have my license.” Sam laughed.

“And how old are you?” Rex asked.

“I just never had a need for it. There is so much transportation around here and I live downtown where the max is free. I just never needed it.” Sam explained.

Rex nodded and they continued trying to find the keys.

“Ah, here they are. REX AND I ARE LEAVING TO TAKE DECORATIONS TO THE BALLROOM.” Sam yelled to anyone that cared.

Sam and Rex got in the car and she handed him the keys.

“Okay, where are we going?” Rex asked and Sam directed him down the streets to the ballroom. They parked behind the venue in an empty parking lot and made their way inside in order to talk to the coordinators to see where they’d be able to store the decorations.

“There is an empty room upstairs that all the stuff can go in until tomorrow. I’d say that you could just set up now, but the room is reserved tonight.” The gentleman explained.

They emptied the contents of the car onto a dolly and made their way to the elevator.

“So, how long have you known Lucy?” Rex asked.

“We’ve been friends since kindergarten. How long have you been friends with John?”

“A long time. Middle school? Too long to count anymore.” Rex laughed.

“So you go to school in Colorado? Do you like it there?” She asked.

“It’s a lot different than Arizona. It’s a nice change though. I have finals in 2 weeks, but then I have an internship this summer already set up.”

“Arizona is so perfect in the winter. I can’t stand it in the summer. My asthma goes haywire.” Rex laughed.

“Hey, don’t laugh at me. I could die.” Sam said with a smile.

“Colorado’s nice in the summer. You would like it.” Rex handed her a box as they unloaded the dolly, storing the decorations in a small side room. They moved it all up stairs in two trips, heading back to the car after about a half hour of work.

“I’m starving.” Rex said, climbing in the driver’s seat.

“What is it with you boys and always being hungry?” Sam asked rhetorically. “What do you feel like?”

“I know you don’t have In N Out here, but something like that?” He asked.

“Burgerville.” Was all Sam said. She directed Rex across downtown and they parked to go inside for food.

“This is pretty damn good.” Rex commented after devouring half of his burger in about four bites.

“Told you.” Sam smiled.

After they were finished with their food, they got back in the car to go to the house.

“Actually, since we’re over here, let’s stop by my apartment.” Sam said.

They drove to her apartment and made their way up to her floor.

“I’m going to take a shower since I didn’t this morning, if that’s alright. You can watch tv or whatever.” Sam said.

Rex didn’t reject the idea and Sam went to the bathroom for a shower.

Image


20 minutes later and Sam was coming out of the bathroom dressed and ready for the rest of the day. She sat next to Rex on the couch, joining him as he watched an old episode of Friends.

"Oh this is the one with Ugly Naked Guy, I love Ugly Naked Guy." Rex smiled at Sam as she settled into her seat next to him. The love seat was small so their arms were touching, and each could feel every slight movement the other made. Rex draped his arm across the back of the couch, claiming it made more room, but Sam wasn't complaining. Every so often, she caught him looking at her out of the corner of her eye, and a new wave of heat spread across her cheeks. Her phone buzzed in her pocket, and she had to lean in toward Rex to pull it out. She looked up at him and didn't realize how close their faces were as her phone continued to buzz in her hand. She stared at him motionless for a moment or two, and a small smile spread across his lips before he broke the silence.

"Are you going to answer that?"

"What? Oh, uhh, yeah. It's Lucy." She scooted forward on the seat and answered the phone on the last ring.

"Where are you? Did you get the decorations delivered? My parents took John's parents out to lunch, and Richard and Spencer came with me to pick up the dress and get my nails done because you were MIA."

"I'm at the apartment with Rex. We dropped off the decorations and came back here so I could shower because I didn't get to earlier. We're heading out the door back to the house now." Sam glanced at Rex, nudging her head toward the TV and he got up and turned it off. He reached for his coat on the chair by the door and slipped it on as Sam stood, nodding her head to whatever Lucy was telling her. "Yeah, we're on our way. Yes, it's all taken care of. We'll be there in less than ten minutes. Okay bye Luce."

As soon as Sam hung up the phone, she was pushed up against the wall. Hot lips were delicately massaging against her own and she couldn't deny the lust in her stomach.

Rex pulled away and with a sigh said, "I'm sorry. I just, wow."

Sam was still speechless and wasn't sure what to do. She stared at him for a moment before she let her natural instincts do all the talking. With a shaky breath, she reached forward and tugged at the collar of his jacket, their lips reconnecting. Rex instantly reacted. One hand cradled her neck while the other slid toward her lower back, pulling her closer to him as he stepped toward the wall and eliminated the space between them. Sam could feel her heart racing as he kissed her harder than before. She melted into him as they stood there, the silence only broken by their shaky breathing. His hand slipped to her waist, curling his thumb over the leather of her belt ever so slightly, and she remembered Lucy was waiting for them. She placed her hand on his chest, gently pushing him away. He looked at her with a knowing look and took a step back, allowing her some room. Neither said anything, a smile creeping across both of their faces.

Sam giggled quietly as she noticed his disheveled appearance. He ran his fingers through his hair, quickly making himself somewhat presentable before stepping toward the front door. Sam grabbed her jacket and took him by the hand as she led him out of the apartment to the car.

They arrived back at the house a few minutes later than expected, and Sam quickly ran up the steps, leaving Rex to trail behind her.

"Did you guys already eat?" Lucy asked as the two walked in the door.

"Um yeah. We had Burgerville." Sam said.

"Do you want to come with me to get food for everyone else? They haven't had anything to eat. I was thinking just getting some pizzas." Lucy said.

"Sure. I'll go." Sam felt the heat on her cheeks, wondering if Lucy could tell something happened. Lucy didn't say anything, grabbing her purse from the chair as the two headed for the door.
Rex eyed Sam as they left, a smirk settling on his lips.

They got in the car and Sam all but popped.

"Rex and I made out. And hot damn, was it nice."

"Are you serious? You were gone 2 hours." Lucy chuckled.

"Luce, don't even. I've missed making out with random people."

"Sam, Rex is not a random person. He is my fiance's best friend. And a groomsman." Lucy said as a look of realization ran across Sam's face.

"But, it was so fun." She said with a frown.

"Well, I'm not telling you no. I'm not your mom, you’re a big girl. But, I'm just saying, he doesn't live here, remember? John hadn't even seen him for almost two years. You can't get attached with this one. And use protection." Lucy explained.

"I really just want a fling." Sam said with a laugh. “And trust me, we didn’t get that far, but thanks for the reminder.”

“I will say this, I heard from a little birdy that Rex was the one that asked to go run errands with you today.” Lucy said with a smirk.

“That he did.” Sam smiled to herself, replaying the past hour’s events in her mind. “He was quite helpful. We got a lot done.”

“Oh, I’m sure you did.” Lucy nudged her friend from across the seat with a smirk as they pulled into the parking lot for pizza. Sam blushed but didn’t respond.

Image


They returned with the pizzas as Pat and Jared were heading off to the airport to pick up the second round of people. Richard and Spencer were inside together watching TV, and everyone else were running various errands or relaxing until they had to leave for the rehearsal.

John and Rex were in the kitchen, their conversation coming to an abrupt hault as the two girls entered. John pulled Lucy into a kiss and a hug, leaving Rex and Sam to stand awkwardly on opposite sides of the couple. They hadn’t had a chance to talk about earlier, or how to act in public or anything yet, so neither brought it up. Rex stepped around John and opened the pizza box on top, breathing in the aroma of freshly baked pizza that filled the air. He pulled a slice out and took a bite, smirking at Sam as the others filed into the kitchen, crowding around the boxes of food and separating them further.

The next few hours flew by, filled to the brim with last minute errands and impromptu nail appointments, another run to the airport, lost luggage, delayed flights, and Lucy on the brink of a panic attack when things weren’t going so smoothly. Everyone made it back to the house at four, as close to on schedule as they could be. John’s family had spent the day with Lucy’s parents, taking time to bond before the wedding. As everyone congregated in the living room, Sam called the large group to attention, mapping out the rest of the evening’s events so everyone was on the same page.

“Okay, so now that everyone is here and has finally made it, here’s the plan. We’re all heading over to the gardens for the rehearsal, and then Andrew and company have offered to cook us a delicious Italian dinner tonight for the rehearsal dinner as opposed to going out somewhere.”

“It’s gonna be delicious, you won’t regret it.” Andrew piped up before Sam continued.

“We’ve got lots of booze too. There’s no BevMo here, which is laaaaaame,, but we made due.” Sam rolled her eyes at Eric’s addition to the conversation. “What, I’m the Best Man. Besides, Johnny boy here put me and Moose in charge of the alcohol, and boy did we deliver. It’s gonna be great.” He smirked and Max nodded in agreement.

Sam sighed with another roll of her eyes, shaking her head in apology to the parents in the room. “Well alright then, just everyone make sure not to drink too much, remember we do have a wedding tomorrow. We’ve all got to look and feel our best for the ceremony, and then we can enjoy ourselves at the reception.” A few cheers and claps came from the group as Sam looked around the room, feeling like she forgot something. She caught Rex’s stare for a moment and blushed, clearing her throat. “Now that everyone’s on the same page, just to be clear for tomorrow, the ceremony is at the rose garden, where there will be pictures afterward, and then the reception is at the Crystal Ballroom. Any questions? No? Okay, let’s go.”

The group made their way to the front door, the majority cramming themselves into the van, and only needing three more cars between them. The rehearsal went down without a hitch, which was a nice contrast to earlier in the day when things were falling apart. Everyone was where they were supposed to be, and knew what they were supposed to do. They ran through the ceremony twice before the sun started to set, and after they finished, Andrew and a few others took one car to the store to pick up the necessary ingredients for dinner, leaving the rest to loiter for a bit and regroup.

Lucy and John were off talking with the pastor, leaving Sam alone to check her list again as everyone else had disbursed into small groups. She looked up to see Rex standing next to her, unaware of how or when he approached her without her noticing. She caught his stare, and he nudged his head for her to follow, walking away down an empty pathway, away from the group around the hedges. She looked around and saw no one needed her before following a few feet behind. As she turned the corner, he grabbed her by the arm, pulling her into him. Without speaking, he kissed her gently, much softer than at the apartment. She pulled away, taking a step back with a smile.

“Hi.”

“Hey.” Rex chuckled quietly as he ran his eyes over her face, smiling and waiting for her. Sam let out a sigh, mumbling a “fuck it” before her lips were on his again, pushing him into the hedge. He let out a quiet groan as he kissed her back, the two careful to keep things as silent as possible between them in case someone was close by. Their time was cut short when the sound of John yelling for everyone to head toward the van caught up to them. They quickly jumped apart as he came around the corner.

“Hey Rex, there you are. I was looking for you. And what are you--” Sam quickly walked away without joining the conversation. She caught up with Lucy by the van, and quickly found her spot without saying a word. The heat on her cheeks almost gave her away, but Lucy sent her a knowing smirk and left it at that.

Image


When they arrived back at home, the aroma of Italian seasonings filled the air from the sidewalk. Everyone made their way into the house, and dinner was almost done cooking. Andrew is a self-proclaimed whiz in the kitchen, and had everything under control. Everyone congregated in the living room, with a Ryan Adams vinyl playing through the speakers. They were instructed to relax until Andrew called them into the kitchen for food, and they did so, enjoying each other’s company and keeping conversation in small groups.

“YO, DINNER’S READY. EVERYONE COME IN THE KITCHEN NOW.” Andrew’s voice echoed its way into the living room, and everyone quickly made their way into the small space, the overflow spilling into the dining room with such a large group.

“Okay, so basically, everyone just dish up, and find a spot to sit. There’s plenty of food for everyone.”

Pat took no time in starting the line, everyone following behind and serving themselves whatever they wanted, and spreading out throughout the dining room, kitchen, and living room. After everyone was settled, John’s father stood up from the table and cleared his throat.

“Um, excuse me, if I could have everyone’s attention. I just wanted to make a toast to my son and his bride. I love the both of you very much, and Lucy, I know you two will last because you’ve stuck by him for a lot so far. When the band broke up and you stuck around, I knew you were the one for him. I remember way back when, John calling me on tour after you two met, telling me how he met a girl, and that this one was different. I knew from that point you were the one he’d fallen for. I just want to say that you’ve became a part of this family before now and it’s not going to be any different than before. This is the first time Johnny boy here is moving away from home and you’re going to have to take care of him. I know you will though. I have no apprehensions about you and becoming a part of this family. I love you dearly. Cheers.”

A round of applause finished off Jay’s speech as he sat down, and everyone turned to the happy couple as John lifted his glass. “Thanks, Pop. I love you and Mom so much.”

“We love you too, Sweetie.” Jay pulled Jenny into a side hug as they all returned to their dinner, the smiles on everyone’s faces wider than before. The rest of the night was spent enjoying each other’s company; the adults conversing in the dining room while the younger crowd split off into groups. Some of the boys played x-box in the living room, while others were downstairs in John’s music room. Mel had arrived from work halfway through the dinner, and joined in, taking a spot by Garrett on the couch. The two disappeared after a while, sneaking away from the group to an undisclosed location.

Image


After the rehearsal dinner, everyone had gone their perspective ways and the girls were back at the apartment. They were trying to get their beauty sleep before the long day they had tomorrow. Lucy came back from the bathroom, all changed and ready for bed, climbing into bed next to Sam one last time. Sam took one look at her and giggled.

“You would wear that shirt.” Lucy shrugged with a smile. Her shirt said “Future Mrs. Johnohh” that she got as a home made gift at her bridal shower several months back.

“It’s the last time I get to wear it before it’s not future anymore. Besides, I love this shirt, and John thinks it’s funny. Judge me.”

“All day, every day.” Sam reached over to turn out the light, and the two curled into the blankets. The silence settled around them, and exhaustion from the day’s events finally settled in. After a few moments, Sam broke the silence.

“Hey, Lucy.” She whispered. Lucy turned over to face her, humming a response.

“Guess what?” Sam said with a smile.

“What?” Lucy asked.

“You’re getting married tomorrow.” Sam said as Lucy smiled wide.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long.
We were hoping to get it out yesterday, but there were a bunch of technical difficulties, as well as taking a vacation and attending the Pioneer tour. We decided Rex needed a bigger role in this update because that boy in person is a beautiful human. The show was great, the boys were perfect as always, and now it's back to school and work and life. The next one probably won't be up for a bit, but at least Mel is happy for now. ;)

The is the longest update yet, so we hope that makes up for it.

The wedding is next!

Chapter title credit: Do Ya Wanna? - The Kooks.