Status: Slow and steady wins the race.

We Are The Tide

You And I Were Born To Be Together

The minister made an announcement about the reception, reminding everyone it was at the Crystal Ballroom and would be starting in about an hour or so. The wedding party congregated off to the side, waiting for their photographers to come take group photos in a garden patch around the corner they had decided on during the rehearsal dinner. Ben coordinated the group, leading them down the path around the corner and arranging them accordingly for the shots John and Lucy had wanted. Loren walked around the area, filming with his video camera, asking bridesmaids and groomsmen candid questions while members of both families filed in to take their photos with the couple. Dirk took photos as well, more candid like Loren’s rather than professional like Ben’s. All three photographers were friends of the group, and had offered as a wedding present to document their special day.

The wedding party posed in a variety of fashions, first formal and then a little more crazy. In the mixed photos, Rex made sure to stand behind Sam, his hand on her waist away from the camera, bringing the heat to Sam's cheeks as they posed. During some of the more candid ones, they mixed themselves around, Eric putting his arms around Lucy for one as John sprawled out on the grass in front. Lucy was barely paying attention as people were jumping around everywhere as Ben counted down. They shuffled themselves around for another photo, a different pair of arms wrapping themselves around Lucy from behind as Ben counted down. Lucy didn't even bother to look at who it was until she noticed the unfamiliar jacket sleeve.

“I - uh, what?” She said as she looked around. It was then that she was met with the eyes of Austin Gibbs. “Holy crap, what are you doing here? When did you get here?” She was asking so many questions and Austin just pulled her into a hug, not really answering any of them.

“Surprise!” He said with a laugh. “I flew in with Tim and Trey.”

“This is so great! I haven’t seen you in forever. John and I thought you weren't going to make it.” Lucy was ecstatic. He laughed as he gave her another hug, kissing her on the head before he explained.

"You know I couldn't miss this for the world, no matter what. I've known you longer than I've known Johnny boy here, I found a way. I knew you thought I couldn't make it, so when I knew I could, I wanted it to be a surprise. The wedding was perfect, Lu. You are stunningly gorgeous, John's a lucky man. Besides, it wouldn't be a proper party if I wasn't here to crash it, right?"

"It means so much to me that you're here. I still can't believe it. I've missed you!"

Lucy stood to the side with a huge smile on her face as she watched her new husband be 19 again with his best friends. The boys pulled her into some shots, picking her up and carrying her around as a group.

After the photos were finished being taken, everyone made their way to the Crystal Ballroom for the party. There was music and an open bar. The party was in full swing by the time they had arrived, due to the fact that they were a bit behind after staying to take pictures. Dirk and Loren continued taking pictures and video to commemorate the night.

Because Lucy was marrying a musician, their reception was guaranteed to have great music. Eric and some of the others had volunteered to take care of the music, promising a good mix of both live music and DJ sets. Lucy was more than happy with that, one less thing for her to plan. John had volunteered to help oversee, and Lucy was allowed to veto anything she didn't like, but she trusted their music tastes and hoped for the best.

When they arrived at the ballroom, a majority of the guests were mingling amongst themselves, waiting for the wedding party to arrive and for the reception to finally begin. Eric found the ballroom wedding coordinator, informing her the happy couple had finally arrived and headed toward the DJ booth to make the announcement.

"Hey, you guys, uhh, excuse me ladies and gentlemen, if I could direct your attention to the back of the ballroom for a moment. I’m Eric, the best man, and it’s my pleasure to introduce to you for the first time, my best bud and his beautiful bride, Mr. And Mrs. O'Callaghan." John and Lucy walked around the corner into the ballroom, hand in hand with big smiles on their faces as the crowd cheered and applauded. "Oh, and I'm supposed to tell you there's an open bar in the back corner to my left here, as well as a full buffet, which is now ready for us to eat. John and Lu are starting out with a receiving line, which will also start as soon as they get in here. Uhhh, I think that’s it, now let's get this party started!"

Everyone happily helped themselves to the buffet and open bar, the wedding party seating themselves nicely at the head table as John and Lucy stood off to the side for the receiving line. Sam plopped herself down at the table, taking a breath and looking around at everyone for a moment, catching Garrett’s smile as Mel leaned in to whisper something to him at the next table over. The table across from them was filled with their circle of friends, band mates and their dates, Austin, Trey, Tim, Dan, and others not in the wedding party. Sam noticed Trey get up and walked over the open bar, catching Marge’s attention. Marge leaned over to Sam, nudging her in the arm and nodding her head toward him.

“That’s Trey, Gary’s older brother, y’know the one that keeps looking over at you. You should go talk to him. I think he’s single.” Marge eyed him for a moment, catching his stare as he looked back in their direction and reached for her half-full glass of Jack and coke, downing it quickly before standing up and smoothing out her dress. As Marge walked away, another body quickly occupied her chair. Sam turned to find Rex sitting next to her, handing her a glass of champagne. The two sat in silence for a moment, sipping their drinks and facing each other. Rex smirked as he turned his gaze toward his glass, twisting the stem back and forth between his fingers before opening his mouth to speak.

“So, I, uhh-“ He was cut off as Loren approached them, grabbing their attention and asking them to smile for some photos. Rex let out a quiet sigh as he turned to smile, leaning slightly closer to Sam as Loren took a few pictures of the wedding party at the table. His hand slipped under the table, resting on Sam’s leg as Loren struck up a conversation with them, the blush rushing to Sam’s cheeks while Rex acted completely normal. He brushed his fingers against the exposed skin above her knee, giving her a look before standing and heading off to join the other table of friends. Sam sat up straight, clearing her throat quietly as she bit her lip, turning her attention to the rest of her champagne, downing it in two seconds. She stood and made her way to the open bar, ordering herself a slightly stronger drink.

As she moseyed at the bar with her drink in hand, Dan Layus appeared next to her and flagged the bartender down.

“A Diet Coke and a separate shot of Jack, please.” He turned to Sam, eyeing her beverage of choice, and holding up two fingers. “Make it two.” The bartender nodded, pulling away for a moment before returning with the three glasses. Dan handed her a shot, holding up his diet coke and Sam took it from him with a nod. The warm liquid slid down with ease, a dull warmth against her throat from being her liquor of choice for so many years. She noticed the other shot still sitting on the counter, and looked at him with a confused look.

“That’s, uhh, for you. I don’t drink anymore.” He placed the shot down in front of her and took a sip of his drink. “Been sober for almost four years now. Four years ago though, I woulda downed three of those at once, easily. Not anymore.”

“Wow. Uhh, thank you. How’d you know Jack was my choice drink?” Sam downed the second shot, nodding a thanks to the bartender as he took her empty glass away.

“I could smell it. Jack and I are old friends, we go way back.” He smiled lightly to himself as he took another sip of his drink, getting a refill before turning to leave.

“Good for you, Dan, that’s, that’s impressive.” Sam stared at her Jack and coke, unsure of what to say. “Hey, uhh, thanks for flying out for tonight. I know you and John haven’t talked in a few years, but this really means a lot to them. I really appreciate it.”

“Oh yeah, no problem, it’s my pleasure. John’s a good guy, I’m happy to see him happy, finally finding love. I remember how he was back when we toured together, one of my favorite tours. I’m gonna be honest, that kid was a wreck back then. I can tell he’s happy now.” He laughed quietly to himself as he continued. “I was honored when John called, asking me to come play, choosing one of my songs as their wedding song.”

“Yeah, it was pretty much a no-brainer for them. I’m excited to see everyone play.”

Dan nodded his head and they continued to talk until Sam saw Eric make his way back to the mic out of the corner of her eye.

Dan ordered another drink before heading back to the table, leaving her alone again.

“Hey everyone, if I could get your attention again, yeah hi. They’re gonna cut the cake now that everyone’s had something to eat.” Eric’s voice cut through the speakers, the music coming to an end, gaining people’s attention toward the cake table. The newlyweds stepped behind the table, and the wedding party crowded around them, followed by a majority of their guests who wanted a closer view than their tables. Dirk and Ben snapped photos and Loren caught their antics on video as they cut the cake, John had wrapped his arms around Lucy, standing behind her as they cut it together. They fed it to each other as every couple does, John getting it all over Lucy and catching her in a kiss before she had a chance to retaliate. After they cleaned themselves up, it was time for the speeches. Eric went first, grabbing the handheld mic and clearing his throat before beginning to speak.

“So, uhh, as all of you know, I’m Eric, the best man. John and I have been best friends for who knows how long, and I was honored when he asked me to be his best man. We’ve been through hell and high water together, toured together, roommates in college for the one semester we survived at ASU, what haven’t we done? Anyway, uhh, I met Lucy when John finally brought her home to meet the fam, but I remember the day John first told me about Lucy, before they got together. We were both on tour, and my band had a day off in the same city his band was playing in, so we went and crashed the show and partied together. We went out for drinks after the show, and I beat his ass so bad at pool ‘cause he was too busy texting some girl he’d met earlier that month. I asked him what was up with this girl and why she was so special, and he just looked at me and shrugged at a loss for words. He said there was just something about her, a feeling he never had before with anyone else, and he couldn’t get her out of his head. He said she refused to give him her number, giving him an email address and saying that if he really cared, he would make the effort. Well, obviously he cared enough to email her back ‘cause here we are at my best friend’s wedding. Anyway, when I finally met this girl that John couldn’t get outta his head, I knew she was different as soon as they walked in the door together. The way he was around her then and still is now five years later, it’s obvious they were meant for each other. So, uhh, Luce, I’m glad you decided to stick around, and obviously, if John ever acts up, you’ve got a long list of us guys you can call who won’t hesitate to hop on a plane to come kick his ass and set him straight ‘cause he’d be stupid to ever even try to lose you. I love you guys.”

Hugs were shared between Eric, John and Lucy.

“Now, the maid of honor, will you make your way up here?” Eric said as Sam left her place at the bar and walked to the stage. She smiled at Eric and he handed her the microphone.

“I’ll be the first one to tell you I hate speeches and I almost said no when Lucy asked me to be her maid of honor because of that. Well, that and all this stupid yellow.” The crowd laughed. “Anyway, I’ve known Lucy since we were in kindergarten. We’ve grown up together. There wasn’t a time when she wasn’t there to help me. It genuinely makes me happy that you’re so happy. And John, I’m glad that you were the one. I remember getting home that night after you met and she wouldn’t shut up about how much she wanted you to email her back. I put a pillow over my head and fell asleep. I woke up the next morning with her practically yelling in my ear about how you’d already emailed her. I will never forget the pure fear I felt that morning. I honestly thought someone was breaking in with the scream she let out. Luce, watching you and John fall in love was like a Disney movie. Yeah, yeah, that’s cheesy, but it’s so true. I love you both and I honesty can’t wait to have a love like you two.”

John pulled Lucy into a kiss, a smile on both of their faces as Sam instructed the crowd to raise their glasses to the happy couple. Everyone cheered and toasted, enjoying their drinks as the mic was passed around to a few more select toasts, the four parents collectively toasting to their children as well, welcoming each into their family.

“I’d like to say something before we continue on with the festivities,” John had gotten a hold of the mic, clearing his throat before continuing. “Thank you all for coming. I’m so happy each and every one of you are able to spend one of the happiest days of my life with me, all of my family, my closest friends, those I see every day and those I haven’t seen in years. I love all of you. And to you, Luce, my beautiful wife, whoa, it’s weird to hear those words coming out of my mouth.” A bit of a blush spread across his cheeks as his famous crooked grin appeared with a light laugh. “Uhh, I love you most of all. Everything they’ve said is true. So I’d like to make a toast, to my beautiful wife, and the next eighty years of our life together.” He held up his glass, leading the group in another toast as Lucy wrapped her arms around him.

“You are such a sap sometimes. Y’know, if you keep talking like this, people are gonna know how mushy you really are when no one else is around.”

“Psh, you love it. And I love you, so..” He smiled sheepishly at her, his response honest and trailing off mid-sentence.

“That I do. So much more than you will ever know.” She leaned up to give him a peck on the lips.

A few of the guys piled up on stage, fine-tuning a few things before they got ready to play a few songs. Eric had promised a mix of both DJ sets and live music, and it was time for dancing. Dan settled himself down at the piano while a few others tuned their guitars. He played a few chords to warm up his fingers before adjusting the mic in front of him. He looked out into the crowd, smiling at John and Lucy who were in front by the stage.

“So, uhh, my name’s Dan Layus for those of you who don’t know me. John and I toured together a few years ago, and I was more than honored when he called me up out of the blue, asking me to be here. This song is really special to me, and when they told me this was the song they chose and wanted me to perform it as their first dance song, I didn’t really know what else to say other than yes. So, uhh, here it is. I love you guys. This song’s called On The Other Side.”

The opening chords began to play and all eyes were on the couple as they danced their first dance. John held out his hand, pulling Lucy into his arms as they swayed along to the music.

Put your hand in mine
Can you read the signs?
I’ll never lose you
I couldn’t choose to if I tried.

Put your faith in me
What will be, will be.
Some things I know
And I know that you were meant for me.


They danced with their arms wrapped around each other, half in a waltz, and half like middle school. Their friends sat and watched as the couple’s eyes were only on each other. John leaned in to whisper something, and Sam could see he was mouthing the words to the song. Lucy kissed his cheek and John picked her up off the ground and spun her around in perfect timing with the chorus.

I wanna feel your feet lifting off the ground
Wanna feel you love me at the speed of sound
Babe, it could end tonight, know it will be alright
‘Cause I’m gonna love you, somewhere on the other side.


Their dancing slowed to a sway, John’s arms wrapped delicately around Lucy’s frame.

And I will be there for you
Be there to shelter you
Anywhere you go, know I will be
And I’m gonna be the one
Be like the rising sun
Never hurt you.


They sang the lyrics to each other throughout the dance, ignoring everyone around them as they danced. Neither were the best of dancers, but they didn’t care.

I wanna feel your feet lifting off the ground
Wanna feel you love me at the speed of sound
Babe, it could end tonight, know it will be alright
‘Cause I’m gonna love you, somewhere on the other side.


Lucy pulled John into a kiss as the song came to a close, a smile plastered across both their faces as he hugged her protectively as the audience applauded the end of the song. The father-daughter and mother-son dances came next, each taking turns on the dance floor to spend time with their appropriate parent, dancing to a song that was meaningful to their relationship.

“Okay everybody, now’s the time of the night where you get out your wallets and get ready to dance ‘cause John and Lucy are having a Dollar Dance. Basically, you give ‘em a buck or two to dance with them so they can have some money for their honeymoon to Ireland, those lucky bastards. Alright, here we go.” John and Lucy made their way back to the dance floor and the crowd started forming as people approached them with dollar bills of various amounts in their hands. Music blasted through the speakers as their dance partners tucked the money in various pockets or seams of the wedding dress and tuxedo, each lasting only as long as the next person would cut in. All of John’s best friends chose to dance with John, one after the other, their inebriated dance moves creating quite the entertaining sight as they grinded up against one another and danced along to the music both in pairs and sometimes threes. Lucy rolled her eyes at her husband’s dance moves and partners, a wave of giggles left her lips as she danced along with her various partners, collecting dollar after dollar as the music continued. The dance ended and Lucy’s sister helped her scoop most of the dollar bills and dollar coins out of her dress, collecting a pile from John as well and putting it in a safe place.

While everyone was still gathered, they quickly transitioned to the bouquet and garter tosses. “Single Ladies” by Beyonce played through the speakers as all the single girls in attendance of the wedding gathered around, pushing and shoving as the bouquet Lucy tossed behind her flew through the air. It hit Sam square in the face and she caught it in her hands as an instant reaction, a blush crossing her cheeks as Lucy turned around to see who the winner was. Someone pulled a chair onto the dance floor as the single men and boys gathered around, Lucy settling herself down in the chair as John kneeled to the floor. An old fashion burlesque song cut through the speakers and Lucy turned toward Eric with her jaw dropped. He laughed with a “don’t lie, you love it” response and Lucy covered her face for a moment as John snickered. She shoved him over with a laugh before repositioning herself in the chair, a sheepish smile across her lips. John took his time sliding his fingers up her leg to shouts and whistles from the guys. Lucy giggled as she watched, feeling his fingertips graze against her thigh as he eventually found the garter. He let go and leaned back slightly, reaching to gather her skirt and crawling under the folds of the fabric, resurfacing moments later with the garter being tugged down her leg with his teeth. Lucy swatted his head with a laugh as more shouts and whistles brought a blush to her cheeks. He stood with a smirk across his face, giving Lucy a peck on the lips as he stretched it between his fingers and turned away from the audience. He stretched it over his head and flung it blindly behind him toward the group formed behind him a few feet away. Congratulatory whistling from the others determined Garrett the winner as the garter hit him in the shoulder and he caught it in his hand as it fell down his coat toward the floor. Garrett slipped his arm through the hole, pulling it up his sleeve to wear it proudly as a slight blush crept across his cheeks when Sam stepped forward with a laugh. The music changed and the DJ announced the winners had to dance together, Garrett holding out his hand to Sam. They locked eyes as they danced, butterflies mixing with the alcohol in Sam’s system as Garrett’s hand fell to her waist. They moved easily together, much easier than either expected. As Garrett spun her around, he couldn’t help but smile as she curled back into him, wrapping her arms around his neck with the bouquet still in her hands. A blush crept across his cheeks momentarily as the song came to an end and Sam had caught his gaze, a giggle leaving her lips as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, biting her lip and stepping away.

Garrett felt a hand curling around his wrist then, turning to see Mel tugging him back toward their tables across the room for another drink with a smile. He willingly complied, weaving his fingers through hers and following after her, leaving Sam behind. She made her way to the bar, ordering another Jack & Coke before sweeping by the buffet table for a few more snacks to keep away from an empty stomach. She sipped her drink, popping a tater tot in her mouth and relaxing in her chair, happy to be off her feet. Rex noticed her sit down from his spot at the other table, his bottom lip slipping between his teeth as he stood up from his chair. He quickly excused himself from the conversation he was having with Jared and Kennedy before leaving the table, taking the long way through the tables toward the bar and ordering a shot of whiskey. He downed it quickly before making his way over to the empty seat next to hers. Sam noticed him sit down, and she smiled at him, taking another sip of her drink. He smiled back at her and she held his stare for a moment, breaking away only to visually track down John and Lucy. They were caught up in conversation with John’s parents and another couple a few tables down, and Sam returned to Rex’s stare, a smirk playing at her lips as she pushed her chair backward to stand.

Rex gave Sam a knowing look and the two slipped through the crowded room, hand in hand toward the back stairs. They ran off, unaware of where they would end up but seeking a place far away from everyone else to be alone. The second floor was deserted as they hopped down the stairs, their lips were attached in a rough and eager manner as they found an empty side hallway. Sam gripped Rex's suspenders as he picked her up and held her in his arms. They stumbled around, falling into a supply closet down the hallway, inebriated laughter erupting between them as they caught their breath. Rex’s lips hovered dangerously close to hers as they made eye contact, their breath calming for a moment before he leaned in to kiss her sweetly. Sam weaved her fingers through his perfectly sculpted hair, enjoying the feeling of his lips on hers while his hands lingered south, pressing shapes into her thigh and hip as the fabric of her dress crept up her leg. Rex expertly migrated toward her neck, discovering a sweet spot Sam didn't know existed as his body gently pushed her against the wall. A heavy sigh left her lips as he worked at the spot, her fingers toying with the suspender straps. Their lips reattached and she looped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer to her, making the barely-there gap between them now non-existent. Rex’s hands relocated to her waist and slowly migrated upward, grazing across her curves and the fabric of her dress.

"R-Rex, mmmm, we, uhh, not here." Sam forced herself to put coherent sentences together as his hand slid to grip her rib cage. She put a hand on his shoulder, twisting her fingers around his suspenders, holding onto the moment a little bit longer before gently pushing him away. They broke the kiss and he leaned away, dropping his head for a moment and letting out a deep sigh.

"Sorry, I guess I uhh, got carried away." He mumbled, the heat spreading across his cheeks with a sheepish expression. Sam blushed, realizing he may have gotten the wrong idea. She leaned against the wall directly behind her, rubbing her thumb across his jaw.

"Oh no, no, I, uhh, you're great. Please don't apologize for that." Rex looked up at her with a smirk, the blush returning to Sam's cheeks as she fought with herself on ending this moment. "L-later, okay? We can pick up right where we left off, just not, uhhm, not right now. We have to get back before they notice we’re missing."

Rex nodded his head in agreement before he pushed himself away from the wall. He ran his eyes over Sam, that same smirk playing on his lips as he leaned forward to fix her dress. Sam ran her fingers through her hair to tame the mess, a giggle leaving her lips as she pointed to his head. He ran his fingers through his hair, molding it back to near perfection. Sam started to walk back toward the main room and he grabbed her wrist, pulling her into a last minute kiss before letting go. A small smile spread across her lips as they turned to go, adjusting the fabric of her dress again and smoothing out the wrinkles.

Garrett caught them as the two walked back into the ballroom, their hands dropping immediately. Rex went ahead, disappearing back to the main room as Sam stopped to speak with him.

“Hey Sami, I’ve been looking for you.” He said with a smile. All Sam could do was nod and blush thinking about where she had been previously. “I wanted to give them their gift, but obviously I was waiting for you.”

They made their way to John and Lucy, who were casually talking to a few people that the two didn’t recognize.

“Hi, can we pull you two away for a minute?” Sam asked, interrupting their conversation.

“Uh, yeah, sure.” Lucy said, scrunching her nose in thought about what they could possibly need. Lucy and John gave their guests a parting hug before Sam and Garrett pulled the newly married couple off to the side.

“We wanted to give you your wedding present. We didn’t want to just put it in the pile because it’s small and we were afraid that it would get lost and stuff.” Sam said, realizing she was talking a mile a minute. Lucy eyed her skeptically as she carefully opened the envelope that Sam had offered her. Inside there were tickets to see The Kooks at the same location the next evening.

“There are enough tickets in there for all of us to go. We realize that this is a wedding gift and it’s supposed to be coupley, but I know that we had all wanted to see them. If you don’t want to be with us, this place is big and I’m sure you could be at the complete opposite end of the venue and be all coupley and shit.” Garrett said with a laugh.

“And, we thought it’d be perfect since you aren’t leaving for your honeymoon until Tuesday.” Sam added.

“No, no, this is perfect. It’ll be like a big family outing before we leave.” John and Lucy both smiled.

Garrett and Sam were both swooped up into a hug and they all smiled. Lucy gave Sam a look after their hug, the blush returning to Sam’s cheeks as her best friend could tell something happened. Without a word, Lucy pulled Sam back toward the door, down the stairs, and out the door to the street. It was a bit brisk now that the sun had gone down, and Lucy was receiving some weird looks from people on the street with her big white gown downtown.

“Why are you so...bashful all of a sudden?” Lucy asked.

“I don’t understand what you’re saying.” Sam deadpanned.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about.”

“I, uh, well. Humph. Rex, well, uh-” Sam tried, but Lucy cut her off.

“Rex? Again? You really like him, huh?”

“He’s just so sweet and adorable and handsome and ugh.” Sam breathed.

Lucy could only smile as she said, “I haven’t seen you this happy in a while.”

“Yeah.” Sam blushed. Lucy pulled Sam into another hug, happy that she was happy.

“Thank you for this special talk, Mrs. O’Callaghan. That’s weird to say.” Sam said with a laugh.

“Well, get used to it, bud.” Lucy said with a laugh.

Sam and Lucy made their way back to the party only to bump into a couple making out who seemed to be completely oblivious of their surroundings.

“Uh, sorry.” Sam said awkwardly. But, it was a second before she realized just who it was. “Holy shit, Trey and Marge. Uh, we’ll just, uh, go.” Sam and Lucy ran off laughing under their breath.

Image


“May I have this dance, beautiful?” Garrett approached the table, holding out his hand to Mel. She nodded, setting her purse down on the table and stood, adjusting her dress slightly before taking his hand. Mel giggled as Garrett led the way, the dj music pumping through their ears as they found an open spot amongst the crowded dance floor. “Day N Nite” by Kid CuDi filled the room as DJ Henry changed the song, giving them a new beat to dance to. Garrett tried to push his self-consciousness about dancing away as his eyes were glued to the beautiful girl dancing around in front of him. Mel sang along to the song as she danced, locking her eyes on Garrett as she put her hands on his chest. She ran her fingers across his shoulders, playing with his tie as she moved to the music, that smirk that made Garrett lose it plastered across her face. Garrett bit his lip as she turned around, placing his hands on her hips and moving along with her. She moved closer to him, looking at him over her shoulder as she sang, twisting around in his grasp and getting caught in his arms. She leaned in closer, still moving to the beat and looped her arms around his neck, shaking her hips around against his frame. His grip around her waist tightened, his hands moving with her movements. He slipped his hand to the side, his thumb pressing shapes into her hip bone as they danced, and she moved in closer, leaving a gentle kiss against his jaw line before pulling back. He let out a groan only she would hear as she continued to tease him, the smirk on her face permanent as she mouthed the words to the song. Garrett could feel the heat across his cheeks as she ran her hands across his chest again, lingering down his torso and landing at his waist. Her fingers ran over his belt buckle and his breath hitched as he watched her continue to dance to the music. His hands were back at her waist, pulling her closer to him. She spun around again, and he caught her off guard in a kiss, something he’d been dying to do all day. Mel reacted in a way Garrett wasn’t expecting, gripping his tie and kissing back stronger than before as her other hand grazed his belt buckle again. They broke apart as the song came to an end, and without a word, Mel grabbed him by the hand and pulled him off the dance floor. Garrett had no idea where she was taking him, but she seemed determined and he was more than willing to let her lead.

A familiar whistle came through the speakers and Sam’s eyes lit up as she recognized the song, quickly scanning her eyes across the crowd and spotting her next dance partner not too far off. She stumbled toward them, giggling as the heals on her feet were becoming a nuisance, and reached down to pull them off her feet, placing them on an abandoned table nearby as she made her way toward Lucy and John.

“Luuuccyyyy, come d-dance with me!” She giggled, pulling at Lucy’s wrists, tugging her toward the middle of the dance floor away from her husband as “Moves Like Jagger” by Maroon 5 played over the speakers. The two sang and danced to the beat, more of their friends joining them as the song continued. John pulled Rex onto the dance floor, making their way toward the girls, but were cold shouldered when they tried to cut in. Lucy shook her head at them, dancing up against Sam as they sang along to the chorus. Kennedy and Eric joined the group, trapping John in a sandwich before he realized what was going on, the alcohol in everyone’s systems loosening them up for the dance floor. The giggles and laughter that left the girls lips at the sight only aided to their dancing skills as the beat continued. All of the boys in their group danced with each other, cold shouldering the girls as Christina’s voice in the second half of the song rang through the speakers. After a moment or two, Lucy grabbed at John’s wrist, pulling him into a deep kiss away from the group while still moving to the beat. Rex immediately turned to Sam, pulling her close to him with his hands on her hips, dancing dangerously close together to the beat. Sam giggled as she danced, singing along to the words and keeping her eyes locked on his. His lips crashed into hers as she leaned into him, twisting her fingers around his suspenders. The final whistle of the song faded into the beat of the next song, and they pulled apart eying each other with a smirk as his hands stayed firmly at her hips.

Dan’s voice cut through the speakers as the next song faded away, and the dancing momentarily stopped. “Hey John, uhh, if it’s alright with you, can you come up here for this next song? I need your help.” The rest of his old band was already on stage, picking up various instruments. “For those of you that don’t know, uhh, this next song is a reunion song of sorts for us. Um, when I toured with these guys back in 2011, we did a cover of Ryan Adam’s “Dance All Night” almost every night on stage, and well, since this is the first time we’re back together again, the guys and I thought it’d be nice to play it again for y’all. Austin, Trey, get up here. Rocket boys, get up here too, come and join us.” Dan pulled out his harmonica as the others quickly approached the front and joined the group crowded around on the stage. With smiles on all of their faces, Pat counted out the first few beats on his sticks from behind the drumset before they broke into song.

Dan looked over at Lucy with a smile as he sang the first verse, Austin and John harmonizing nicely just like it was back on tour. Everyone in the band danced around on stage, and the dance floor below filled with a nice group of friends as well.

She ain't lonely now
See her shuffle 'cross the floor
Yeah, she's happier now
See her smile and say 'come on'.


Mel joined Sam and Lucy at the mention of Ryan Adams right as soon as she heard the first few bars, the three danced around as the boys sang, singing along loudly and knowing the words by heart because of their love of Ryan Adams.

Let's dance all night
Let's dance all night
Let's dance all night
Yeah, I think she'll be alright.


John locked eyes with Lucy as he sang the second verse, a large smile across his lips as he sang into the mic.

I ain’t lonely now
Yeah, I’ve got someone I love.
Someone I think about,
Someone for me to take care of.


The group sang loud, their voices carrying over the music as they played a semi-unplugged cover of the song, everyone dancing and singing along, enjoying their reunion song. John hopped down from the stage as it came to a close, pulling Lucy into yet another kiss as the crowd applauded their performance.

Image


It was now that time of night where the party was growing slow and people were gradually leaving. John and Lucy would be staying at the conjoining hotel for the night and the group would all be going to the main house so they could all just take one car to one location. Tess was the designated driver, as everyone else was far past drunk with the open bar.

John and Lucy had excused themselves from the party, heading up to their hotel room for the night. Everyone waved goodbye as they headed out the door and walked around the block to the hotel entrance, Lucy still in her dress and John in his loosened tuxedo. The rest of the group walked the opposite way, heading toward the parking lot where they had parked their cars. Marge and Trey were still nowhere to be found, no one having seen them since earlier that evening when Sam and Lucy had bumped into them. Tessa was in the front seat of the van, Jared next to her in the passenger seat, while others climbed in the back. Sam wasn’t worried about leaving Lucy’s car at the venue, she worked there so her parking pass was placed in the window and they wouldn’t get a ticket if it was left in the lot over night.

Rex and Eric came stumbling around the corner, each carrying a box filled with wedding presents, loading the boxes into the back of the van. The rest of the group stood in the parking lot, figuring out who was going with who because they had more people than seats in the van.

Vito came bustling around the corner, toward the cars drunkenly yelling. He ran up beside Garrett and Mel and interrupted their conversation with Eric and Pat saying, “Garrett’s dick is this big!” measuring out his hands in front of him. Garrett’s eyes grew wide, practically popping out of his head as his cheeks flushed. Mel stood there giggling, tilting her head slightly as she turned her attention toward Vito, asking him to repeat himself, gestures and all. He repeated it over and over again, throwing his arm sloppily over Garrett’s shoulder, giving him a pat on the back and a drunken wink. Mel continued to giggle as Vito turned to grab the attention of others around them, raising his voice to inform them as well before Garrett embarrassingly pushed him away. Vito slurred a few “I l-love you, man”s as Garrett’s face remained scarlet red, Vito not getting the message to stop. Garrett nodded with tight lips, embarrassment written all across his face as Vito kissed him on the cheek before stumbling off toward his own car across the lot.

“Uh, I’m going to go back to Mel’s house.” Garrett said with a blush to Sam, grabbing her attention.

“Oh, really? Are you driving?” Sam replied with a smirk.

“No, I-I’m, uh, t-too wasted for dr-driving. Apparently she, uh, she lives off the MAX line? I’ll see you guys tomorrow for the show.” He said as he turned around and pulled Mel along with him. Mel curled into him, giggling as she laced their fingers together and they took off down the street toward the MAX platform a few blocks away.

“Where’s he goin’?” Jared asked with a smirk as Sam hopped into the van.

“To get laid.” Sam said with wide eyes. Jared just laughed and shook his head.

“Off to meet the bulge.” She said quietly, under her breath.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love weddings, I've been to and been in a ton of them, so I was excited to get to write about the reception.

A lot of the things that happened in this chapter either happened to me personally, *ahem Vito, (no lie, his exact words to me at a show one time....and Garrett's reaction then was the same as it is here... haha) or I've seen happen at other weddings, so we threw them all together to make it a fun time. ;)

Chapter title Credit: An Unreleased new Augustana song "Alive"

Crystal Ballroom

Photographer friends: Ben, Dirk, Loren

Day N Nite - Kid CuDi

Moves Like Jagger - Maroon 5

On The Other Side - Augustana

Dance All Night - Ryan Adams cover

<3