‹ Prequel: Warmness on the Soul

The Way You Look Tonight

The One That Got Away

Preparing for tour wasn’t fun. Period. Brian’s day however wasn’t improved by the fact that everywhere he went he’d find little things that belonged to Grace. Her shampoo, her perfume, some clothes, his favourite had to have been her underwear he’d found at the bottom of his wardrobe. God her panties, they were her lucky ones he noticed.

He had a strange sensation of needing to get on the road again. He was getting used to Michelle being around a lot, she was his girlfriend after all, but she was a handful. He couldn’t just laugh and joke around with her like he did with Grace. She wasn’t like a best friend to him in the way that Grace was. His relationship with Michelle would never work in the way it would have with Grace, he knew that now. “Pussy,” he muttered under his breath. All he could think about was the her, the way she smelled, the way she walked and the way he loved her.

He shoved some clothes in a bag and his dad walked in. He nodded in recognition and continued packing.

“What’s up, son? You weren’t at the fair-well barbeque, Michelle said you were ill?” His dad asked, taking a seat on the bed, in front of the dresser.

“Not so much ill as-” Brian started.

“Love sick?” Brian Sr asked, Brian nodded, “Ah, the one that got away. I know that feeling well.”

You know what I’m going through? Brian asked with a slight laugh, “Dad, are you kidding me? Every girl you wanted you ended up married to.”

“There was one though, the most beautiful girl you’d ever seen.”

“Dad, if you really have to tell your story, I’d prefer you didn’t call these woman you have a… fancy for, girls, it creeps me out.”

Brian Sr laughed, “Deal.” He began, “She came to my show one night, waltzed into the bar, shimmying her hips. That caught my attention right away. She had the most beautiful eyes, anyway, we got talking and I found out she was exactly the kind of gir- I mean woman I was looking for, turns out she had a husband-”

“What happened to her?”

“Meh, I married her,” Brian Sr shrugged with a small smile.

“You mean Suzy?” Brian asked, bug-eyed. His dad smiled, nodding.

“There’s always a chance, son. Grace’ll be back home sooner than you know it.”

“But will she feel the same way?”

“Who knows? All I know is, I wouldn’t give up hope, not just yet, there’s always hope.”