‹ Prequel: Warmness on the Soul

The Way You Look Tonight

In At The Deep End

Walking into the Green Room, still with Jimmy’s arm around her waist, Grace felt numb. Walking instinctively, mechanically almost, not thinking, putting all effort into remembering to breath, as stupid as that sounds.

They walked inside, Mattie and Jason Berry were seated along the sides of the room, ’fixing’ their radios, they glanced around when they entered, and then their eyes locked on Grace’s, and their jaws dropped.

“Well hello there, stranger!” Jason smiled giving her a hug, Mattie coming up behind him.

“Guys, some space?” Zack asked indicating the circle starting to form. “What’ve you been doing with yourself Gracie?”

“Working - bars mostly -”

“Bars? Grace you’re a nurse for crying out loud-”

“I know what I am Matt. I needed a change remember.”

“So, you became a barmaid?” Jimmy laughed, and Grace joined in.

“It was that or a prostitute, Jimmy. When in Leith - as they say.” Grace bent down as a little, white, ball of fluff wandered into the Green Room. “Hey little guy, who do you belong to?” she looked at Zack, then Jimmy and finally Matt, thinking he’d gotten a companion for Bella.

“He’s not ours -”

“Guys have you seen Pinkly?” Brian asked, walking into the room, closing the door, and turning to face the seven people staring at him, “… Gracie?” he asked, walking towards her, caressing her newly blonde hair, ever so gently. Brian put his hand by his side, and flew, pulling her into a bone crushing hug, the bruised side of her face coming into contact with his solid chest, she hissed, and he let her go. Unfortunately for Gracie, though, her cleverly applied makeup had removed itself ever so slightly onto Brian’s black dress-shirt, revealing just enough of her bruised face for Brian to turn red and ask, “Who the hell did that to you Grace, because so help me God, I’ll kill them.”