‹ Prequel: Warmness on the Soul

The Way You Look Tonight

Road Trip (Part 2)

“And jealousy’s the cousin, the cousin of greed,” Grace sang along with her CD as they got back onto the I-405.

“What junction do we come off up here?”

“I thought you were the big hot-shot driver,” Grace smirked, Brian just looked at her, “Keep to the left and follow signs for Freeway,” she sighed.

“What was the sigh for?” Brian asked taking his eyes off the road for a minute to look across at her sitting with her feet up, shoes off of course. The sun seemed to radiate off her auburn hair, Brian imagined the way her opal-green eyes would sparkle, if she never had sunglasses on that is. She really was beautiful. “Don’t think like that! This is Grace for crying out loud,” he thought to himself.

“Nothing, I’m just tired, that’s all,”

“He’ll be alright you know, you’re dad,” Brian said giving her hand a light squeeze.

“I know, thanks Bri’.” she smiled, “Hey, do you mind if I sleep for a bit?”

“Not at all, want me to turn the music off?” Grace shook her head.

“I like it, it zones me out,”
***
Time seemed to fly by and before Brian knew it he was taking the CA-24 E exit towards Walnut Creek/Berkeley. He saw Grace stirring beside him.

“Mm, what time is it?” she asked stretching.

“Around three-ish, have a good nap?” he asked.

“Can’t complain,” she smiled, “Are we anywhere near a rest-stop or something, I really have to pee,” Brian smiled.

“I was just about to stop for coffee up here, want me to get you anything?” Grace asked him to get her a Coke and waltzed off towards the ladies room.

She walked back into the small rest-stop café and took a seat next to Brian, “So, we’re really going more towards Oakland then?” he asked her looking at the map with the route lined out.

“Yeah, my parents emigrated there, well, after they emigrated to Huntington that is,”

“Why’d they leave Scotland in the first place? Aren’t Scots supposed to be like really patriotic,”

“Oh, we are, but it’s damn cold, and my parents’ aren’t really suited to the cold,” Brian smirked.

“That rubbed off on you I see,” Grace shoved his arm a little, “ Let’s get back on the road,” He said, grabbing the sandwiches he’d bought for them both.