‹ Prequel: Warmness on the Soul

The Way You Look Tonight

A Night Out

“Grace! Phone call!” her brother, Kevin, shouted up the stairs.

Grace grumbled and complained the whole way downstairs took the phone from her brother and made her way back to bed. Morning was never her favourite time of day.

“Hello,” she almost growled into the phone.
***
Meanwhile, Brian had been up for a while, taking in the early morning Bay Area sunshine in the back garden. It was, completely different to Huntington. He glanced out across the garden to where Bonnie and Grace’s brother, Liam, were playing and took a bite out of his sandwich.

The birds sang in the trees and butterflies flew overhead, as he wondered why he’d never really been to Oakland.

He was a So Cal boy through and through, and there was just too much rain in Oakland he supposed.

“Grace, why the fuck is it that every time I get some peace an quiet to eat you come over singing at the top of your lungs?”

“The world, my dear Brian, works in mysterious ways,” she said sitting next to him, he looked at her and blinked, “You up for going out tonight? Roxie just called, she’s up here too, she’s going into San Fran tonight with some friends,”

“Sure,” Brian smiled, finishing off his sandwich.
***
They spent the day lounging around the house playing the PlayStation 3 with Grace’s brothers, until 5 ‘o’ clock came around and they all went into the large kitchen for dinner. Then at 7, Grace and Brian excused themselves to get ready for their night out.

9 ‘o’ clock came, as did Roxanne’s knock at the door. Grace flew from her seat in the basement games room, up the stairs, and had made it to the front door faster than her mother, who had been in the room next door.

“Roxie!” Grace squealed jumping into her best friend’s arms.

“God I’ve missed you, girl!” Roxie squealed back at almost the same frequency.

“Ok, last time you guys don’t see each other for a few months, got it?” Kevin laughed, walking past them into the kitchen.
***
The Icon Ultra Lounge was located on Folsom Street with very little parking, but God loved them, and they soon found a space.

They got out the car and Grace grabbed Brian’s hand, leading him towards the bouncer.

“Suuuuuuuup, Louie?” she asked, giving the huge bouncer at the head of the line a hug.

“Gracie! Rox! How’s it hanging ladies?” he asked lifting up the rope and letting Grace, Brian, Roxie and her date for the night, Craig in, much to the annoyance of the people queued up.

“It pays to know people,” Grace shrugged as Brian looked at her incredulously.

“You’re telling me,” he smirked, shaking his head a little in disbelief. “What do you want to drink?” he asked her.

“A Bud Lite would be awesome,” Brian continued smirking, a girl after his own heart.