‹ Prequel: The Battle of Perfecto

Into the Pensieve: Of Blood and Snow

5

Night had fully fallen now. The wolves paced the edge of the clearing, now acting sentry to the wizards and witch they had tried to kill only minutes before. In the middle of that clearing, a camp had been hastily set up. Within, Don’s bleeding arm had been treated with dittany, as with Dave’s scalp. Junix and Pryce’s limbs were also in the mend, wrapped tightly in splints.

“How do we find them?” Junix asked. “The rest of the Cullens, I mean.”

“Even if these guys know, I doubt they’ll tell us…” Pryce pointed out, indicating the bound vampires.

“I’ve been working on a theory,” Pryce said.

The three wizards turned to her at once. Blushing slightly, she began:

“See, I think the reason why a single Imperius Curse affected all of them at once is that their minds are connected. I’m guessing it’s their way of conveying messages to each other even through great distances.” She paused, checking to see if her fellows understood. They nodded.

“And if you remember, one of those wolves is currently in the company of the vampires we wish to capture.”

“So,” Dave said slowly. “That wolf would be under the Imperius Curse as well?”

“Following my theory, yes,” Pryce nodded, glad that they understood the plan easily, “I'm sure we can find some way to exploit this connection. Legilimency, for example. We can read the wolf's mind through his pack members, find out the Cullens' location...”

Don cleared his throat, "I have a better idea."

“If you’re about to suggest another illegal method—” Dave said.

Don ignored him. "Tracking them with Legilimency is all well and good," he said, "But it's cumbersome. These vampires are fast. We could easily lose time chasing after them. I suggest we use what we already have: our control over the wolves."

He paused, but no one spoke.

"We can use the Imperiused wolf to lure the Cullens back here," Don continued.

Junix nodded, but would not look the other two in the eyes. Dave and Pryce looked as though they were about to protest, but they knew Don's suggestion was their best option to finishing this mission quickly.

“Well, if it makes you feel any better,” Don said, “I’ll be the one doing the manipulation.

“It’s going to be tricky,” Don continued. “Considering that Edward can read minds. If we’re not careful, he might detect my presence in the wolf’s head…”

“Come on,” Junix said, “You’re an accomplished Legilimens. This would be a walk in the park for you.”

Don managed a cocky smile.