‹ Prequel: The Battle of Perfecto

Into the Pensieve: Of Blood and Snow

6

“What is it, Jacob?” Edward said, looking at the wolf. It was different, hearing the thoughts of wolves. It was always a shattered stream of consciousness, bombarded from every direction with other wolves’ thoughts and feelings. It was easier when Jacob only had Seth and Leah in his pack. But now that he had absorbed the other wolves into his number, it had gotten difficult.

The wolf, Jacob, had his large, brown eyes towards the forest below the mountains. It took several minutes before he focused his mind and answered Edward.

I have great news… he thought.

And Edward saw it. His thoughts travelled through Jacob’s mind and into Seth’s, allowing him to see what the young wolf saw. The wolf pack had overpowered the Aurors, and had managed to corner them in a clearing. They were wounded and did not look as though they’d be able to put up a fight.

“What about Emmett and the others?”

To this he could not draw any answers from. Either they had been defeated, or were simply out of the wolf’s field of vision and awareness. He could only hope that they were still alive.

We could go back. Finish them while they’re weak. Jacob suggested. My pack can keep them trapped until we get there.

Edward looked at his family, tucked inside the cave. His eyes met Carlisle’s, then Esme’s. Though they tried to conceal it, Edward could clearly see, even without reading their minds, that Alice’s death wounded them as well. She had to be avenged. The Aurors will pay.

“We’ll be back,” he told the four. “Carlisle, Esme, take care of my girls for me, will you?”

The doctor and his wife nodded. “Make them suffer,” Carlisle muttered, uncharacteristically angry.
*

Seth welcomed them as they approached the clearing.

They haven’t moved, he thought, a note of cockiness in his psychic voice. I guess they’re afraid we might rip their heads off if they so much as get out of their tent.

Edward smirked. Jacob congratulated the young cub with an affectionate lick on the face.

They stepped into the clearing. A small tent stood in the middle of it, too small for four people. Although, Edward was sure that some magic was in effect for it to fit an entire army.

“Come out, Tremaine,” he called out, “And face your death.”

Although Edward could sense the wild rambling thoughts of a cornered rat from within the tent, no movement came from it. He snorted. The wizards and witch were apparently too afraid to come into the open.

“There’s no point in hiding, Tremaine,” he continued, “You are surrounded by a pack of wolves. You’re trapped! Even if you don’t come out, we can just…as easily…make you.” He slowed down, losing confidence at the last words.

He just noticed something. He could no longer hear the wolves’ thoughts, not even Jacob’s. He turned to look at the brown wolf beside him, and realized that Jacob had retreated a few steps back, its brown eyes glazed, staring at nothing.

“Jacob?” Edward said. Who spoke in his head was not the wolf.

“Mr. Cullen, I hate to disagree with you,” Don Rage’s voice echoed in the back of Edward’s mind. “But you’re the one who’s trapped.”

Edward fell to his knees, jarred by the intensity of Don Rage’s invasion to his thoughts. Impossible! he thought.

“Surprised you, didn’t we?” Don Rage appeared from nowhere, standing behind the wolf, a victorious look on his face. Jacob did not make any move to attack or even growl at the wizard. It just stared ahead, into nothing.

“I must say that your allegiance to these shape-shifters came as a surprise to us as well,” Don admitted. “But we quickly worked that to our advantage, didn’t we?”

Edward made to pounce at the wizard, but Don simply pointed his wand at Jacob and the vampire was on his knees again, flooded by a stream of psychic attacks.

“Any spell intended for living beings cannot work on the undead,” Don said, “Not directly, at least. But thanks to your pet here, I have discovered a way into your mind—a way to hurt you.” He pulled his wand away.

Edward gasped as the wave of Don’s thoughts into his head stopped.

“Mr. Cullen, I assume right about now you’re wondering why it is I alone who face you,” Don said. “You see, my comrades are on their way to arrest your family now.”

“NO!” roared the vampire as chains erupted from the tip of Don’s wand. Moving lightning-fast, he dodged the chains and began running out of the forest clearing, back towards the mountains.

“Stop him!” Don ordered, pointing his wand at Jacob.

The wolf did not move, the glazed look on his eyes had disappeared, to be replaced by a burning anger. Thinking quickly, he pointed his wand at the other wolves who followed his will without hesitation.

“Interesting,” Don said backing away from Jacob, who had bared his teeth and growled menacingly. He had counted on Edward’s emotions to get the better of him, and make the arrest more interesting. Unfortunately, he had not expected the wolf to resist. “You have managed to beat my Imperius Curse. No matter.” He raised his wand. “I shall have to do it ag—AAAGH!!!”

Jacob buried his teeth on Don’s wand arm before the wizard could cast his curse. Then came the wet snap of breaking bones and Don dropped his wand. Like a ragdoll, he was flung through the air.