‹ Prequel: The Battle of Perfecto

Into the Pensieve: Of Blood and Snow

9

“Oh, Merlin’s balls…”

“Is that Don?”

“What’s he got behind him?”

“Holy Azkaban…”

The Aurors emerged quickly from the tent. Pryce realized then that who had screamed were Bella and Renesmee. Apparently the Aurors had not transported them to Headquarters yet. What had caused them to scream was at the edge of the clearing, lumbering towards them.

Don Rage was limping, his clothes shining with fresh blood. He was using his left arm to drag whatever it was he was dragging, for his right hung uselessly at his side. However, despite his grievous appearance, a victorious look was on his face.

As he left the shadow of the trees and into the middle of the clearing, the Aurors saw what the vampires easily discerned in the darkness: the corpse of a giant wolf. Its fur was matted with its own blood; its large pink tongue lolled out of its black lips; its eyes rolled halfway up its sockets.

“YOU SON OF A BITCH!” Bella was screaming. Just when she thought she had finally managed to protect everyone she loved by surrendering. Just when she thought that Alice’s would be the last death, the corpse of Jacob was dragged into her sights. “YOU KILLED HIM! YOU KILLED HIM!!! I’LL KILL YOU—!”

She vanished in a bluish-white light. Following her, caught in a fit of hysterics, was Renesmee. Then, the rest of the vampires vanished from the clearing, spirited away to the underground Headquarters of the Aurors.
*

“So there you have it,” Pryce said, finishing her third glass of wine. “How messed up Don Rage is.”

“Wait, so what happened, exactly?” James asked. “To him and the wolf?”

The three shrugged. “All we know is what he told us. He said that the shape-shifter managed to resist his Curse, had disarmed him, had tried to bite his head off. Fortunately, he had a spare wand and had managed to turn the tides back to his favor.”

“But killing the wolf doesn’t mean he’s crazy,” Jolo said. “It was just for self-defense.”

“True,” Dave said. “But using the Imperius Curse without so much as a hesitation and with such a magnitude? Being capable of creating a full-fledged Fiendfyre? And using the Killing Curse as a substitute torture spell? Please tell me those aren’t indications of a dangerous mind.”

Silence.

“So…” Aly said. “What happened afterwards?”

“Well, after such a speedy and successful mission, our sponsors were pleased. And with a few more successful missions, we were eventually promoted to being fulltime Aurors.”

“They never questioned Don’s methods?”

“Oh, they did. He was tried by the whole tribunal,” Junix said, refilling his glass of wine with a flick of his wand. “But Don managed to convince them that all were towards the goal of immediately completing the mission with as little commotion as possible from the Auror’s end.

“And he was subjected to a whole battery of tests to check whether or not he was fit to be an Auror. He passed all of them. It only caused a year’s delay for him to be promoted.”

“Merlin’s balls…”

“But we can’t be sure that he actually made Horcruxes…”

Silence fell within the group. Could it indeed be possible that their friend had, in secret, created a Horcrux? Their very core debated against this possibility, but they knew that if there was a possibility that this sort of dark magic was performed, they couldn’t just ignore it…

“Oh, Merlin’s beard…” Kristoff rested his face in his hands.

Although they did not react as openly as Kristoff, they felt as he did. The weight of their new task fell heavily on their shoulders. They knew they must do it, for they knew they could not just hope for the best. They had to make sure. They had to be certain that the darkness that has overcome the Tremaine brothers has truly died with them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Disclaimer:
Although the character Don Rage is based off of me (Geordane), I feel I must point out that, in case conclusions about my personality are to be inferred from the following text, I am not as twisted as he is. Admittedly it was fun imagining and writing about a darker version of myself. As with the other characters portrayed here, certain personalities and actions are made to serve the story and should not be considered as accurate reflections of their true selves.