Sequel: The Epilogue

A Place on My Pillow

.13

The next night at dinner, once Alex stumbled home from work and Cady had finished cleaning on her day off, the siblings exchanged a look and then simultaneously looked at Polly. She was innocently sipping at her glass of water when she looked up and noticed their intense stares.

“What’s up?”

“We were talking earlier,” Cady started.

“Of course you were. And what about?”

“You, staying here,” Alex said.

“No. I couldn’t possibly. You two barely have enough money for yourselves and your mother, let alone me. I couldn’t. It’s very kind and I appreciate the offer but no, thank you.”

“It’s not an offer,” Cady said.

Polly stopped, puzzled.

“I’m sorry?”

“We’re not really giving you an option, hon,” Alex said.

“You’re kidding, right? I can’t impose.”

“You wouldn’t be. Listen, you’re our friend. You need a place to stay. We have a place. How could we make you leave when you could be safe here?” This came from Cady, staring at Polly with those big hazel eyes, pleading the taller girl to give in. Looking at Cadence Jackson, Pollyanna couldn’t say no.

“Fine!”

Cady let out a celebratory yell and dashed around the table, side tackling Polly with a hug. The velocity of Cady ramming into Polly caused the latter girl to fall off her chair. Luckily for her, Alex was there to catch her head before it bounced off the tile.

“Thanks, Lex,” Polly said softly.

“Anytime,” Alex replied. And Polly, looking at Alex, could tell that he meant it.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)