Sequel: The Epilogue

A Place on My Pillow

.17

“What are you deathly afraid of?” Alex asked, opening the back door to the local bookstore.

“Well, I was diagnosed with pteromerhanophobia when I was 7.”

“Which is?” he asked while he navigated their way through shelves taller than himself to the counter at the front. There, sitting on a stool, was a little old lady with bright pink hair and a nose ring. She smiled at the pair.

“Fear of flying,” the little old lady answered. Polly nodded.

“Hi Millie,” Alex said, walking around the counter to give the woman a kiss on the cheek and a hug.

“Hello Alex. I didn’t think I’d see you in here for awhile,” she replied. He shrugged.

“You and Mom’s feud has nothing to do with me,” he replied.

“And I’m glad for it. I missed your handsome face. Now don’t be rude, introduce this lovely young lady.”

“Right. Millie, this is my new friend, Pollyanna. Polly, this is Mildred, but everyone calls her Millie.”

“That’s because Mildred is an old woman’s name. Do I look old to you, Miss Polly?”

“Not a day over 30,” Polly replied. Millie grinned, the smile spreading across her thin face. She had big blue eyes, lined by the longest, thickest natural lashes that Polly had ever seen. Her skin was pale but unlike most women her age, she hadn’t caked on make-up to make her look younger. The only make-up she was wearing seemed to be a bit of light pink sparkly lip gloss, the tube sitting on the desk. Wearing a white v-neck shirt and light blue jeans, she looked like she could fit into any high school.

“I like this girl, Alex. Keep her around,” Millie nudged Alex in the ribs as she spoke.

“Okay. Okay. I will. Now stop stabbing me with your elbow. That thing is like a freaking dagger.”

She grinned triumphantly.

“Now, what brings you kids to my shop?”

“Polly would like a job,” he said. “And I figured that I would try here before anywhere else.”

“That’s so thoughtful. Actually, I was just thinking I needed a new assistant. That’s if Polly will have a frail old woman as her boss, unlike Mr. I’m-Too-Good-For-My-Godmother’s-Store.”

“I told you this already, Mill, I had an offer from a job that paid double what you do. You know I need the money.”

“I know, doll. I just like busting your chops.”

“You’re good at it,” he replied.

“I’m aware. It’s my favorite past time. Now, your mother, she hated when I busted hers. She said I wasn’t as funny as I thought I was. Screw what that crotchety old maid thinks. I am freaking hilarious. I should’ve went into stand-up comedy. I would’ve made a fortune. I could’ve been the other Betty White.”

“Mill. You’re ranting again.”

“Right. Sorry. So, little lady wants a job. Ever had a job before?” she asked Polly.

Polly nodded.

“I worked at a café in my hometown from sophomore year ‘til the end of summer before college.”

“Good. And are you good with people?”

“Absolutely.”

“Alright, you’re hired. I just have to find the paperwork and stuff. I’ll start you off at 7.50 an hour, and if you prove yourself worthy in 4 months, I’ll give you a raise based on how well you’re doing. How many hours are you hoping to work?”

While she spoke, she was rifling through drawers on the other side of the desk.

“As many as you need me to be here.”

“Good answer! Oh, I like you already. You are very accommodating, my dear. I like that.”

She finally pulled out a folder full of papers. She took out two and handed them over to Polly.

“Bring those back to me tomorrow and I’ll start you immediately. Any day where you can’t work?” she asked. Polly glanced at Alex who raised his eyebrows.

“Tuesdays,” she answered. Tuesday was always Alex’s day off.

Millie smiled as if she knew, but then again, Alex thought, Millie knew everything.