Sequel: The Epilogue

A Place on My Pillow

.19

It was Tuesday again. It was Tuesday and Alex was asleep at noon. Polly was beyond annoyed, and even more bored than she was annoyed. She found herself pacing in the kitchen, making as much noise as she could. But she knew that wouldn’t wake Alex. That boy slept as if a hurricane wouldn’t wake him. Finally, at 12:54, she marched into his room, pulled open the curtains and jumped onto the bed. He groaned and rolled onto his stomach, but did nothing else. She stood with one foot on each side of him, staring down at the rat’s nest that was the back of his head.

“Alex. Wake up. It’s Tuesday!”

Nothing.

She bounced, making his body jump slightly off the mattress. But there was still no response.

“Get up, you lazy bum. We were gonna go to the zoo! Come on! I’m ready to go!”

When there was yet again no response, Polly grew agitated. She kicked him in the side the best she could but that only caused her to stumble. She stared at the man for a moment, considering her options. There was only one thing she could think of. Kneeling, she leaned over and kissed Alex’s bare shoulder blade. She kissed slowly, sucking slightly. He let out a slight, tiny moan. It was working. She slid her hands under his blanket and massaged his lower back. She’d always had compliments about her massaging capabilities.

“Amazing!” they’d raved. “Orgasmic even!”

Polly leaned over, resting her cheek against Alex’s bare back.

“Wake up, sleeping beauty,” she cooed and kissed his ear. His eyes fluttered open and he stared, sleepily alarmed up at her. She grinned.

“Hi.”

“Why are you on top of me?” he croaked out.

“I couldn’t get you to wake up so I was doing what I used to do to my past two boyfriends,” she said.

“Does that mean you consider me a boyfriend?” he asked, obviously flirting. Polly chuckled. He always got extra flirty when he was tired. It was adorable, to be honest.

“Get up. The zoo awaits!”

With that, Polly vaulted off the bed and left the room, leaving the door open. Alex watched tiredly as Polly’s slim hips swayed back and forth. He closed his eyes for a moment, remembering the feeling of her lips on his skin, her hands rubbing the knots out of his back.

“You know,” he said later, dressed and showered. “You should really give me a massage every morning.”

“You get up at 4:30 every morning, unless it’s Tuesday. Now, why would I get up that early to serve you?”

“Because you love me?”

“Ha!” she laughed and bounced over to the entryway where their coats were hanging. She grabbed her new light jean jacket to go over her half-sleeve plaid button-up shirt.

“That’s not nice. I take offense to that.”

“Alex, I enjoy your company. I’m grateful for your friendship. I would probably even have sex with you if I were drunk enough. But I don’t love you. I haven’t known you for long enough to love you. Give it a few months. I’ll get back to you on that.”

“Well, there’s one way to shoot a guy down,” he said, feigning sadness. Polly smirked at him and pulled open the door.

“After you, Mr. Alex.”

“Thank you, Ms. Polly.”