Sequel: The Epilogue

A Place on My Pillow

.34

“You owe me a date,” Darren said.

“Do I have to?” Polly whined.

“Am I repulsive to you?” he asked suddenly.

“No.”

“Then why don’t you want to date me?”

“Because, I don’t want to date anyone. The last two times ended in disaster. I don’t want a boyfriend. I don’t want friends with benefits. I don’t even want drunken hook ups! I just want to be left alone!”

Polly and Darren stood outside together one night about a week after Polly stood him up. They hadn’t worked together since that Monday. Polly was waiting for Alex to come pick her up and Darren, being himself, was waiting with her.

“One date,” Darren persisted.

“One date and you leave me alone,” Polly said.

“Yes.”

She made him promise.

“Tomorrow,” he said. “Meet me at the Bruchhausen Bar and Grill, down at the end of town. 4 o’clock. And, please don’t stand me up.”

“I’ll try not to,” she said, stepping forward so her toes of her shoes hung off the edge of the curb, just as Alex’s matchbox pulled up in front of her. She leaned in his open window and grinned.

“Hey baby, wanna ride?” he said, trying not to laugh as he attempted to be sexy and seductive.

“Only if you pay, sweetie. I ain’t no cheap date,” she replied, opening the car door and sliding in.

“I’ll see what I can do,” Alex replied as he pulled away from the curb, Darren still standing on the sidewalk, staring after the car.

“That guy won’t leave me alone. Alex, you should beat him up for me,” Polly said, glancing in the rearview mirror at the speck that was Darren.

“Polly, that guy is three times the size I am. I would be pulverized!”

“But it’d be in my honor,” Polly said, batting her lashes at Alex.

“Screw your honor, I want to live!”