Sequel: The Epilogue

A Place on My Pillow

.40

Alex kissed Polly the moment he was awake. Not on the lips or anything. He just kind of grabbed her head and pressed an emotional kiss into her knotted blonde hair. He looked even more tired than after a long double shift at work. He whispered his thanks into her hair. He was the only other one awake. The doctor had finished his exam half an hour before and was off with other patients.

“You’re not allowed to scare me like that,” he said.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered back. He wanted to kiss her, on the lips and keep her there. He wanted to ensure that nothing could harm her. But he knew kissing her at this point, with her split lip, would only hurt her. And he wasn’t entirely sure she would want him to kiss her. Why would she? Darren saved her. Darren, while he was a huge fumbling douche at points, was much more alluring than himself. She would never want simple, just-a-friend Alex over the fantastic Darren Gress. It just wasn’t feasible.

“Don’t be sorry. Don’t ever be sorry for this. This was not your fault,” Alex assured her, hugging her.

“Lay with me, okay?”

He did. He climbed into bed and let her rest her body weight against him. She needed it. He needed it. It was always got better after this, this time where they just let themselves relax into the other. With the comforting embrace of a companion you trust, it felt like there was nothing in the world that could hurt you.