Sequel: The Epilogue

A Place on My Pillow

.5

The next morning, Polly and Otto were found curled up on a cot in the nurse’s office. The nurse gently shook the girl awake, rather than screech at her. It’s happened before. Polly was woken by a shrill shriek and then was promptly whacked with a binder. She had bolted so fast from the school that she had left behind a shoe and her bag. She’d had to sneak back in later in the day and retrieve the possessions.

“Hi sweetie. Good morning,” the nurse said, crouched down beside the cot.

“Hi,” Polly croaked out.

“How’d you get in here?”

“I picked a lock,” Polly answered honestly. The nurse nodded. She backed away and left Polly alone to gather herself. Not too long afterwards, the girl was packed up and had Otto back on his leash, although he was reluctant to go.

“Thank you,” Polly said, standing beside the nurse’s desk. She was busy filling out paperwork.

“What for?”

“Not freaking out when you found me.”

“You looked too comfortable and, ehm, too at peace. I just couldn’t be mad. You look like you could use another couple hours though. You’re welcome to stay. I won’t tell.”

“I couldn’t possibly, but thank you. For the offer, I mean.”

The nurse bowed her head as Polly led her dog out of the office, down the hallway and out the front door while students sleepily stumbled past her. She readjusted the pack on her shoulder, staring out at the brand new day. She was clean, well-rested and even, well-fed. She’d made herself and Otto dinner the night before, using the cafeteria kitchen’s equipment as well as washing her clothes in the Home Economics classroom.

Brand new, she thought, glancing down at a clean Otto. He’d gotten a warm shower in the locker room, followed by a brushing. He looked so much cuter, without the clumps of mud clinging to his small body. He looked equally happy to be squeaky clean as Polly was.