Sequel: The Epilogue

A Place on My Pillow

.8

Alex opened the door to his house and walked in, finding his sister asleep on the couch in her uniform, Otto curled up in her side.

“That’s adorable,” Polly whispered, standing slightly to his left. “You really do look a lot alike.”

“She’s my twin, remember?”

“Well, yes, of course I remember that. But you’re fraternal. You don’t have to look that much alike!”

He cracked a smile and walked over to the couch. Carefully, he lifted his sister up off the cushion and carried her to her bedroom. Polly watched while she sat down on the couch, beside her companion. He shifted slightly so he was closer to her, her body heat drawing him like a magnet. Alex kissed the sleepy girl’s forehead and tucked her in, murmuring to her before he flicked her bedside lamp off and left, shutting the door slightly.

“Poor girl. She must’ve been exhausted. I know she didn’t get a good night’s sleep last night. Her ex-boyfriend kept calling the house, leaving drunken messages. She was really upset.”

“I can imagine,” Polly said. She could imagine because she’d been in Cady’s shoes once. That was before the sociopath though, a long time ago. It seemed much longer than it was, actually. That was decades ago, at least that’s how it felt to Pollyanna.

“Anyway, uhm, you’re welcome to stay here tonight,” Alex finally said, glancing around, at everything except Pollyanna.

“Thank you, Alex. I appreciate it.”

He nodded.

“I have to get up early for work tomorrow so I’m gonna hit the hay, if you don’t mind. But there’s blankets in the closet to the left of the bathroom. You’re welcome to any of the food in the kitchen. And, the cable has a whole shitload of channels, if you can’t sleep, although there’s never anything good on.”

He said his goodnights and headed off to his own room.

“Alex?” Polly called.

He turned and hummed in response.

“You really are the greatest person I’ve met in awhile. You don’t even know me and here you are, opening up your home to me. It’s very sweet, thank you.”

“I know a good person when I see one. You’re definitely one of them. Goodnight, Pollyanna Dianne Salisbury.”

“Goodnight, Alessandro.”