Status: All Done: Complete.

Obligated Hockey.

05;

“Don’t bring me into your crap!” Jordan yelled. Sidney looked up at him confused. Practice was mandatory and they had a game, a home game before a week long road trip. He still had to go to lunch with Ellie but he was looking for his weeklong trip away. “She yelled at me! Yelled at me!” His frown deepened at Jordan’s outrage.

“Who?” He asked confused.

“Do you forget you have a fake slash real evil girlfriend they set you up with?” Jordan squeaked. Sidney hung his head.

“Tell me you went with it.” Sidney groaned. If she found out he’d lied, he wasn’t getting his road trip, he wasn’t getting to play hockey ever again. She’d kill him at lunch.

“Yeah, for you but she…she…” Trailing off he let out a deep breath. “I think she threatened my life, I’m not sure.” He finished defeated.

“Lips pursed, hands on hips, left brow arched?” Sidney asked irritated he knew the look. Jordan paused thinking before slowly nodding, terrified. “No, that’s the don’t fuck with me face. If both brows go up, run for your life…” Looking around his feet and in his locker he sighed. What had he done with his tape? “You’re fine, I’m the dead one.” He added. Picking it up, he smiled at the tape fondly. “There you are.” He added.

Standing he picked up his untapped hockey stick and moved out into the hallways like usual to tape his stick just the way he liked it. Leaning against the wall and concentrating on what he was doing he didn’t even notice someone walk up next to him till then leaned in closer, looking at what he was doing and the best part he knew she couldn’t see.

“You’re doing it wrong.” Monroe teased as she leaned back once he’d stopped. She smiled in his direction and he smiled at her as well.

“Pfftt, like you would know.” Pushing her nose with then end of his finger he rolled his eyes at her and looked back at the hockey stick. “Why are you here on practice day?” He asked confused.

“Dad’s talking with Mario.” Sidney froze his heart stopping and his blood running cold. She hadn’t killed Jordan because she’d run to daddy. Swallowing slowly he licked his lips nervously. This was either about to be a regular practice or Mario was going to make it a living hell and all attention and heat focused on him.

“That’s…good?” he asked confused. Monroe shrugged.

“They always talk I just came with him this time.” She stated. “Wanted to say…I heard about your shopping trip.” Sidney groaned and hung his head. “How was that?” Leaning on the wall next to him she hummed up at him.

“Don’t start please.” Sidney groaned at her. His attention focused on the hockey stick before him. He let out a slow breath to try and focus and not let his mind wander to the disaster of his love life he needed to fix and clean up. He wasn’t even sure how he’d go about doing it so he focused on his hockey stick.

“I hear you’re a sweet boy.” She teased nudging him. Sighing he let his muscles relax as she held his bicep. “Do you really like her?” She asked seriously. Sidney looked up startled by her question. “Sid, do you actually like my sister?” She added a bit softer.

“Why…why do you ask?” he choked out. Not sure how to answer he answered a question with a question.

Monroe sighed gently, her hand lightly rubbed his arm as he tried to keep his breath steady. Was he that obvious already that he didn’t like Ellie? Was that why Mr. Ellis was talking to Mario? Swallowing the lump in his throat he barely took notice of Monroe sighing next to him.

“Because when you talk about her you sound completely bitter, and just no when I asked you tensed, like you’re hiding something.” Her hand gave his bicep a squeeze. “And when I ask your voice shakes with disgust.” Swallowing he licked his lips nervously. “And every time I talk to you like this you’re different than when Ellie’s around. You’re more relaxed, even now, then when she’s here and you either sound utterly angry or completely terrified. You don’t like my sister do you?” She asked boldly.

“No.” he whispered defeated. Hanging his head he watched her nervously. Would she run and tell daddy now? Or worse Ellie who didn’t want anyone to admit to her that Sidney didn’t like her. The girl liked to live in a world of denial.

“Then why are you dating her?” She whispered confused.

“I don’t have a choice.” He admitted honestly. Monroe shifted away from him as if he’s words had burned him. “I…I made a joke halfway through my time out that having a girlfriend would make things better, a joke.” Sidney swallowed. “I came back to having one and if I screw up your father will probably kill me along with half the city, and the NHL organization.” He finished watching her. He wondered if he should admit he liked her more than her sister.

“Sidney that’s…not…” She stopped at the call of her name. Turning she placed a hand on his arm as her seeing eye dog began pulling her towards the woman who was clearly a care taker of Monroe’s. “Sid. Thor stop.” The dog did as told and Monroe reached out again, looking for him. He let his fingers barely touch hers as he sighed softly.

“It’s okay Monroe, go on. Don’t worry about it.” He stood up tall and placed a hand on her head. “Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine.” He added and looked at the dog. “Thor, go.” The dog simply gave a small bark and tugged her along. “Go.” He stated a bit sterner as Monroe went to protest. “Really Monroe, it’s fine.”

“But it’s not!” She gasped at him. She was stopped only a few feet from him.

“Sidney.” He glanced at Bylsma leaning out of the locker room at him. “Let’s go. Hello Monroe.” Monroe gave a vague wave as she looked to be in a panic.

Sidney moved to let the rest of the guys out and walked right up to her. Placing a hand on her head and leaning down the inch or two height difference they had he sighed softly against her forehead. She gripped his practice sweater tightly with one hand, refusing to let him go.

“Monroe, it’s okay. I promise. I’ll figure it out and there’s no reason for you to worry. It’s not like you’re a part of it. So please, don’t worry it’ll be okay. I promise. I have to go to practice just, promise you won’t worry about it.”

“Who told you, you had to date her?” Monroe rushed pulling him closer. He liked being so close to her and the way she was holding onto him in need, it just wanted the need he wished she was holding onto him for.

“The HR and PR people.” He admitted to her.

“Sid.” Bylsma called roughly. Glancing behind him he nodded pulling away from her and slowly prying her grip from his sweater softly. She whined trying to hold onto one of his hands desperately.

“Did my dad?” Monroe asked quickly. Sidney frowned and listened to his name be called with a threat of him being benched again if he didn’t hurry up.

“I don’t know, I guess, I have to go Monroe. Don’t worry about it.” He stated pulling away from her. “I don’t want to be benched again.” He rushed as Coach called him again. “Thor, go.” He stated the dog listened to him surprisingly and he turned heading towards Coach quickly with an apology.

“What’s wrong with her?” Coach asked. Sidney shrugged.

“Something with her sister.” He admitted. It wasn’t a lie, Sidney wasn’t very good at lying, but it also wasn’t the whole truth. Bylsma just nodded.

“She going to be okay?” Sidney shrugged at the words confused slightly.

“I don’t know. I’ll figure it out after practice.” He breathed stepping onto the ice and finding instant peace with himself. It was complete and utter bliss for him during practice until Mario arrived and then his nerves began to go haywire as his mentor instantly called him over. “Yes sir?” he asked a little winded from the scrimmage he’d been apart of moments ago.

“I hear you have a girlfriend.” Mario pressed lightly. Sidney stopped. “I thought we agreed you were going to focus on hockey and your health. Ellie Ellis doesn’t seem like she’ll be good for your health.” Mario crossed his arms a bit confused and worried for the young star who was staring wide eyed with a floundering mouth.

“Wait…you…” Sidney stopped. “I was told you approved of this.” He choked out. It was now Mario’s turn to stare wide eyed and shocked by the words. “You didn’t approve of this?” he asked quickly.

“Why do I need to approve of you getting a girl Sid? I just wish it wasn’t Ellie Elis.” Mario mused.

“But I didn’t get a girl. The HR and PR people took my joke too far.” Mario’s head nearly snapped as he did a double take of Sidney. “I…the first day back, the practice before that game I was told I had a girlfriend, her, and that you approved of it…” Sidney leaned against the boards and swallowed nervously. His head hurt and he felt sick to his stomach again.

“Sid, why would I force you to have a girlfriend?” Mario asked concerned, hand on the kid’s shoulder.

“Image stuff was what they said. They said it’d…“ Swallowing he ran a gloved hand over his mouth. “It’d help my image along with my healing since I’d joked about it when I was injured.” Mario sighed.

“I want you to get a girl, don’t get me wrong. I think having a girl to go home to would do you good, but you need to find that girl yourself and Ellie Ellis isn’t it.” Mario stated sternly. “She’s crazy.”

“I know!” Sidney huffed. Swallowing he quickly apologized. “I can’t be a total asshole to her though and just telling her I’m not doing it doesn’t work. I’ve tried.” Mario sighed. “And if I’m a complete asshole to her she’ll run to daddy.” Mario nodded slowly.

“We’ll figure something out.” Sidney nodded. “Why didn’t you come to me with this?” He asked confused. “You should’ve brought it up.”

“I was planning on it but every time I found time to come talk to you Ellie forced me to do stuff with her. I can barely go through my usual routines before games and it’s really messing with me. It seems I’ll I’ve got left is my PB&J before games and my lucky jock strap.” He grumbled irritated. Mario sighed nodding slowly. “It’s really messing with me.” He added sadly.

A few nights later, Sidney took serious hits in a game against Boston after missing more of his routines due to Ellie throwing a fit with him over the phone.