Status: i'm back and i'm updating again.

Don't Go

chapter 7.

I gave Plutarch a wry smile and shook his hand. “You tell me, sir.”

Plutarch grinned wider and turned to Katniss. “Oh, you look so good, Katniss. Much healthier than the last time we saw you.” He noted. “I quite like the haircut.”

Katniss smiled weakly and shook his hand too. “Good to see you.”

Plutarch cleared his throat. “Now, where is Aelia, Aelia!” he called out.

Gale leaned over. “Aelia is his assistant. Her dad was a game maker.”

I hear a hiss from Katniss. She hated this girl already for being associated with the people who made our lives hell. I couldn’t hate her yet; I hadn’t met her.

I looked up and saw her walking towards us. She had long, flowing blonde hair and deep green eyes. She smiled at Johanna and Gale and waved, as if she knew them. When she caught my glance, her eyes flitted down and she blushed.

“I have the information, sir.” She said, handing him a clipboard.

“Ah, thank you Aelia. Peeta, Katniss, this is Aelia, my new assistant.” He said absentmindedly, waving the girl away. She nodded courteously to me and Katniss before ducking away.

“So what is this about a Victory tour?” I asked, shivering.

Plutarch looked up and smiled wryly. “We weren’t thinking on naming it that…a little too soon.” He said. “We wanted a televised tour of the districts, showing how much we have achieved in so little time without the aggressive rule we were once under. We need to install some faith in the people, Peeta. That’s why we want you to do it.”

I was shocked. “Me? Why me?”

Plutarch winced. “If you don’t mind me saying, the memory most people still have of Katniss is her executing Coin. Albeit for good reason, it still doesn’t look too good. Besides, you’ve always had the personality.” He pointed out. “You’ve grown the most since the revolution, and we’d like you to be the face of it.”

I looked to Katniss, who seemed emotionless.

“I don’t think I could do it alone…it wouldn’t feel right without Katniss there.” I blubbered on. I didn’t know what to do with my clammy hands; they clamped down at my sides.

Katniss cleared her throat. “I think it’s a good idea.” She said blatantly. “Peeta would be the perfect symbol.”

I looked at her with honest eyes. “What are you doing?” I asked.

Katniss looked at me with clarity. “They need you, Peeta. You’re well enough. Besides, I could always go with you.”

Gale nodded. “Right; I’ll be there, and Johanna will be there too. You’ll have a prep team.”

I looked around to the group of people around me. They all smiled warmly, especially Plutarch, who wanted to convince me more than anything. I nodded slowly. “Yeah…okay. I’ll do it. When would we start?”

Plutarch cleared his throat. “Well, we have two months to prepare. I’m sure you’ll understand how much work needs to be done. We were going to ask Effie to escort you through the districts, but I figured she’d be too busy with her show to spend a month on tour.”

“Then who will be my escort?” I asked bluntly.

Plutarch smiled. “I’ve asked the lovely Aelia to be your escort. It would be a great chance to break her into the hosting gig; she has a fantastic spirit and would be a good partner for you on television.”

I nodded, thinking of the shy blonde. If that was a fantastic spirit, I didn’t want to know anything else.

“I know you’re travelling on your own leisure, but I’m sure you’ll understand that we need you to stay behind to shoot some propos, do some photo shoots, interviews, and other things.” Plutarch pointed out.

I looked to Katniss with a mouth open. Her eyes were sad, but her face void of emotion.

“I’m travelling with Katniss. I won’t leave her.” I said dismissively. “We have five more days and I’ll come back.”

Katniss shook her head. “No, Peeta, it’s fine. I’ll just go on my own.” She argued.

I shook my head. “No, Katniss, I promised you.” I fought.

Gale stepped up. “I’ll go with her. You trust me, don’t you?” he asked Katniss. But by the sideways glance he gave me, I knew he was actually asking me. I nodded discreetly. Now that I knew Katniss’s position on her relationship with Gale, I wasn’t afraid to hand her over to him.

“Do I need a babysitter?” she asked angrily.

Gale sighed. “We just want to be with you, Catnip. Besides, I’ve been meaning to stop at home anyway. I’ll be nice to see your mom for a couple days too.”

Katniss took a couple of deep breaths before holding her hands up. “Fine, fine. But you won’t spend all your time here?” she asked me.

I nodded slowly. “I’ll come home as soon as I’m done. We should start the tour in District Twelve.” I announced.

Plutarch nodded. “Right, Peeta. We’ll go in descending order…perhaps we’ll have some appearances on the tour as well. Katniss, you wouldn’t mind doing a spot for the district twelve shot. Johanna, the same?”

Johanna nodded, mouth pursed. “I’ll do it. We can ask Annie too.”

Plutarch opened his mouth to argue, but Johanna cut him off.

“She’s just as sane as the rest of us. Plus, her baby would be a good symbol for the revolution.”

Gale nodded. “The first baby of a revolution…that kid will be a big part of the tour. He’s the son of victors.”

Katniss winces and I know she’s having a flashback. I walk over and grab her hand, not thinking. Suddenly, I come to realize that to the others, this looks like a romantic gesture.
Gale raised an eyebrow, but I shrugged.

“Alright…I do believe everything is in order then. You can leave; Peeta, would you mind starting interviews tomorrow?” Plutarch asked hopefully.

“I came here to visit friends. I’ll spend tomorrow with Katniss, Gale, and Johanna.” I said curtly. I felt Katniss squeeze my hand.

Plutarch nodded. “Alright, well we’ll get to work when your vacation is over.” He said it almost accusingly, trying to make me feel bad for taking time out of his tour for my sanity.

We went back to Gale’s place. Johanna sat in the kitchen while Gale turned the television on. Instead of twenty four seven propaganda, there were some TV shows. They’d even found
ancient tapes from way before Panem and had modified them for us viewers.

Katniss stood up. “I’m tired.”

I hadn’t noticed it was so late until I looked out the window. The sky was dark and Johanna and Gale had put food on the table.

“Dinner?” Johanna asked.

Katniss shook her head. “I’m not hungry. Peeta, come with me?”

I jumped up to follow her. We walked down the hallway, hearing the soft voices of Johanna and Gale and their clanking silverware. Our room was the very last; of course, Johanna had forced us into one room. I think it was her idea to get us together.

“They seem like a couple.” I joke behind closed doors.

Katniss shook her head. “They’re too much like each other…I think they’re more brother and sister.”

Katniss rolled onto the bed and pulled the blanket over her chin. I was hungry, but that could wait. In a day, I’d be separated from her for a while.

“Are you going to be okay while I’m gone?” I asked softly.

Katniss nodded. “I’ll have Gale with me. That’ll keep me sane enough.” She murmured. “How about you?”

“I’ll have Johanna. Besides, you’re coming with me on this tour whether you like it or not.” I pointed out. “I want you there. You don’t have to be on TV; we can lie and say you’re sick. I just want you there.”

Katniss rolled over to face me. “We have the weirdest relationship.” She chuckled.

I burst into a smile. “We really do.”

We weren’t in love, but we were more than friends. I guess we’d always be like that. Even if I did love her, she wouldn’t love me the same way. We’d be stuck in this weird relationship forever.

But for the moment, I was okay with it.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for the lack of updating! I've posted this on fanfiction.net under the same title.