About A Girl

ACT 1

There is a family of four people sitting around a dinner table. The father, tall and balding sits at the head of the table talking to his wife who is slight and delicate and their son who are sitting on either side of him, these three places are all set close to each other while the daughter is seated up the other end of the table alone, silently eating her dinner. The parents and their son, Luke are discussing their day, the parents sound interested in what their son has to say and ask him lots of questions. The father then asks both his children how they went on their recent exams at school, the son smiles and explains that he received an A in his English Exam. His parents congratulate him explaining that they are so proud of him and that for such a good mark he will receive a gift. The mother turns to her daughter and asks her about her maths exam. The Daughter, Elise mutters that she received a C+. The Father tells her that if she had studied and actually tried she would have done better and then asks her why she could not be more like her brother. Elise looks back down at her dinner plate and falls silent until she finishes the rest of her meal. After she finishes her dinner, Elise leaves the table early and quietly walks away without anyone noticing that she had gone.

Walking down the stairs and into the kitchen, Elise is greeted by her older brother Luke who is tall and thin with pale skin and black hair. As she goes to the fridge to get out the juice, Luke explains that he is having a girl over after school that day and that since their parents won’t be home he does not want her there while she is over. They argue about this for a while then both head off to school.

The school bell rings. Elise and her friend Lauren walk out of the school doors. Lauren tells Elise about a party that the two new boys at the school are holding that night. She explains that she wants to go and that Elise has got to go with her. Elise is hesitant about going, but Lauren convinces her to go, even if she has to drag her there. They hug goodbye and Elise walks the long way home. She turns into a street draped with trees and filled with huge expensive houses. Walking down this street she notices an older boy out the front of one of these huge houses. This boy is rather tall, sun tanned with sun-bleached hair and wearing black clothing. As she walks passes his house, the two teenagers make eye contact. The boy smiles at Elise, but she looks away in haste and continues walking home.

The room is big and dark and packed with people. The only source of light is coming from the flashing strobe and laser lights. The lights highlight Elise’s face as she walks through the crowd with her friend Lauren to get a drink. While they are at the drinks table, Elise meets a boy who introduces himself as Todd, one of the brothers whose house it is. Todd and Elise talk joke around and Elise flirts with Todd. Todd pours Elise her drink. After meeting Todd, she turns around with drink in hand and realises that she had lost Lauren. After giving up on finding Lauren, Elise goes outside for some air and a quieter atmosphere.

Seeing some chairs, Elise walks over with her drink and takes a seat. She is sitting there sipping her drink and sees the boy who she walked past earlier in the day standing on the path alone. Elise smiles at the boy and he walks over to Elise and takes a seat beside her. He introduces himself as Anthony and thanks her for coming to his party. Elise and Anthony start to talk and get to know each other and Elise continues to drink. He explains that he recognises her from that afternoon and that he thinks she is attractive. At this stage Elise has had a fair bit to drink and Anthony kisses her and feels her up.

Elise is sitting with Lauren in homeroom and is describing to her what happened the night before when she had lost her. Lauren congratulates her on hooking up with Anthony and explains that she has seen someone she wanted to talk to, that is why she left her.

In the schoolyard Elise and Lauren walk past the VCE area and see Anthony sitting with a large crowd of people. As they approach Elise sees an older girl sitting on Anthony’s lap with his arms around her. Elise stops walking and grabs her friends’ arm. Elise looks at Lauren and Lauren places her arm around her friend.