The Joy of Giving

"Just like you, Cas."

Dean hastily shoved the bag beside the bed when he heard the top stair creak. He smiled when Cas walked through the door. “Hey Cas! Glad to see you.”

Cas nodded his head. “Well you did call me. I always come when you need me.”

Dean was slightly caught off guard by Cas’ eyes. They seemed to by a more vibrant shade of blue than they usually were. Staring for a few seconds, Dean suddenly shook his head and blushed. “Yeah, that’s why you’re one of my best friends. You’re always there for me.” Dean patted the empty space on the bed, motioning for Cas to come and join him.

It took a minute or so, but Cas finally caught on to the gesture and sat next to Dean. He forgot about Dean’s personal spaces because Cas was sitting so close to Dean that their thighs were touching. But for some reason, Dean was oddly relaxed with it. Cas looked rather bashful. “So what was important that you called me?”

“Ah yes,” Dean said. “I bought you something.”

Cas tiled his head. “Nobody has ever bought me anything.”

“Well there’s a first time for everything,” Dean said. He reached over the edge of the bed and picked up the handles of the bag. He placed it on Cas’ lap. “Here ya go, angel.”

Cas just started at the bag with a perplexed expression on his face.

“You’re supposed to open it,” Dean said with a little laugh. “Here, I’ll help.” He leaned over and opened the bag a little wider. He removed the colored paper and leaned back. “I think you can do the rest.”

Cas bit his lip as he removed the mysterious object from the bag. He held it up before turning back to Dean. “What is it?”

Dean beamed. “It’s a unicorn! It’s one of those nifty little Pillow Pet things that I see on TV all the time. I thought you would like it.”

Cas still had the stuffed object in the air as if examining it with his eyes. His eyes then softened and he held the unicorn to his chest. “Thank you Dean. I’ll always take care of it.”

Dean leaned closer to Cas. “Do you want to know why I picked a unicorn out?”

“Why?”

“Because unicorns are one of a kind. They’re special. They’re powerful and really awesome. They’re beautiful and sacred and naïve. Just like you Cas,” Dean whispered. “And plus they have wings some times. You know, like an angel.”

Cas felt an odd sensation. He suddenly felt hot all over and he could feel his face burning. He had never experienced this before. To make things even more unusual, his heart was beating faster. All of it was due to being with Dean. Cas cleared his throat out. “That’s very nice and thoughtful of you Dean.”

Dean was obviously pleased with himself. He patted the unicorn on Cas’ chest. “Well, what do you think you’re going to name it?”

“It’s an animate object, Dean. It doesn’t need a name,” Cas replied matter-of-factly while giving Dean a strange look.

“That’s no fun! You have to name it.”

Cas shrugged and thought for a few seconds before coming up with a name. “I know what I’ll name it.”

Dean’s green eyes lit up. “Really? What is it?”

“I can’t tell you.”

“Oh come on, I’m the one who bought it for you. Do you know how strange it is to see a grown man clutching a unicorn Pillow Pet around a store? You should have seen the looks the cashier was shooting me with. I think you can tell me the name.”

Cas gulped. “I’m naming it Dean.”

Without even making a usual sarcastic comment, Dean shrugged an arm over Cas’ shoulder. “I think that’s a perfect name.”