Sequel: This Ends Now.
Status: Sequel is coming your way soon :D

Forever Hold My Heart

This plate is too full.

The door opened and Marcus was on the other side.
“Come on,” Marcus said and I followed him
“Where are we going?” I asked
“Important Cutos meeting,” Marcus said
“Oh so then you’re going to drop me off at the house?” I asked
“No everybody’s going to be there now no more questions.” Marcus said

I got in the car and just stayed silent. My arm was deeply bothering me but I knew that without Travis I couldn’t sleep even if I wanted to. Marcus pulled up to the driveway of the building where the masquerade was hosted.
“All the Royals are already here,” Marcus told me. “The place is surrounded by Custos.”
“So the royals are going to be a part of this meeting too?” I asked
“The royals are located on the second floor, the meeting is going to be held on the first floor.” Marcus said as he parked. When we reached the doors we were greeted by two custos. When the door was opened inside were a bunch of plain tables that could sit up to 9 people but some of the tables had more than 9. Marcus went to go sit down and I went the opposite way. I sat a table with Julian, Adam, Landon, Jack, Eddie, Daniel, Adrian, Blake, Damien and two other faces that I recognized to be on Jack’s old team.
“Marcus wanted you to follow him,” Eddie whispered to me.
“It’s nice to see you too,” I whispered back
“Alright if I can have everybody’s attention.” A man upfront said. “Now a lot has happened tonight, we’ve lost two Custos and a Royal, may they rest in peace. Let this be a sign that we have to be more on guard.”
“What are we going to do about the amount?” Someone called out
“We know that we are outnumbered, but please let’s save questions till the end.” He said
“That’s Clarence he’s the one who knows who’s on the board.” Eddie whispered to me
and I slightly nodded.
“About 17 years ago was when we had the most tragic events occur.” Clarence paused, “There was one that we might have been wrong about.”
We all watched as Clarence pulled out a folded up paper.
“This is a copy of an article about the event, 24 children were said to have been kidnapped and killed.” Clarence said as he crumpled up the paper, “First Katelyn came along and that was okay, then another royal from the other world, that happened to be Katelyn’s best friend, showed. A coincidence? Maybe. Now we have a latronum who was originally meant to be a guardian, a coincidence? Not at all. If we’re right then there should be 22 others out there that are working together. They seem to be pretty strong and advanced in technology. So who was leading them? The answer is simple Caroline Henderson. Of course now they lead themselves,” Clarence said and I clenched my fist and closed my eyes.
How did this happen? I didn’t even know, I mean there was a lot I didn’t know about but something so big just slid right under my fingertips. When did she plan on making me part of the ‘team’? I felt angry and lost.
“Due to the threat we plan on doubling Custos to every housing. We need to have a very good defense against them” Clarence said, “This means that those of you who currently live in a house without any Royals will be reassigned.”
I looked up with a confused face.
“Oh no,” I heard Eddie say softly
“I mean no disrespect but how does that solve the problem,” I said
“What exactly do you mean?” Clarence asked.
“I can see how it’s smart to double up on security but its not actually solving the problem.” I said and he sighed
“Okay what do you suggest we do?” He asked
“There are lots of options that could be done,” I started
“Like sending a team out into the forest and risking their lives,” He said
“No, that’s not what I meant. If you think about it our lives are already at risk as I speak this very moment. For example one latronum broke into this house and all hell broke loose, what would happen if all twenty four-”
“Twenty two,” Eddie whispered
“Twenty two of them came to one house? Sure the defenses have been increased but the problem is still there”
“Then what would be your solution?” Clarence asked and I actually had to think about it. “Moving along-”
“Wait! I was once told the reason Royals house’s had a lot of land was because it would be easier to spot someone trying to come in right? So how can we see any much of anything with the forest.”
“We can’t just destroy the whole forest,” Someone said
“I’m not saying to cut down the whole thing I’m just saying to cut around the perimeter.” I said
“And how is that solving anything?” Clarence asked, “If you ask me it’s just a waste of energy and time.”
“Well it could be a start, there’d be a decent enough distance between them and us and if you really wanted a better defense system then maybe you could put motion sensors that when activated a camera could send live feed to a screen.” I said
“Where would we even get that technology,” Clarence said
“If we really wanted it, from the other world, but the point that I’m trying to get across is maybe sticking to the same old plans isn’t enough,” I said
“They’ve worked so far,” He said
“Yeah and how many latronums are out there in total,” I said
“Enough, Katelyn,” Mathew said in a stern voice and I just leaned back in my chair.
“So it’s settled we will double up on security, tonight the royals will sleep here. Tomorrow there will be a new set up and that’s the plan. The rest of you will switch off, on watch.” Clarence said I clenched my fists. I was mad because it was like everything I said went in one ear and out the other. I was also mad because hardly anybody shared their opinions, that was the point of meetings to try and come to an agreement or make a plan, not just take orders from someone who is representing the damn board who nobody even knows who they are.
“I would calm down before that vein pops,” Blake said tapping my forehead.
“I’m just frustrated.” I said
“I think we all could see that, just take it easy, things take time,” Blake said and he walked away. I sighed time was something that we didn’t have anymore. I looked around, everybody was putting the chairs and tables away. I needed some air before I lost it. Once I was outside, I sat down on the wall next to the two guardians by the door.
The doors opened and I saw Mathew and Devin hurry out.
“Where you guys going?” I asked. They paused and looked at each other.
“Come on,” Mathew said and I got up and followed them to a car anywhere was better than here.
“Where exactly are we going?” I asked
“To go check up on Travis.” Mathew said
“Oh okay,” I said as I got into the car. The drive was quiet, I couldn’t tell if they were talking to each other or if they were just keeping to themselves.
“We’re far enough now,” Mathew said
“Far enough for what?” I asked
“So that they can’t hear our thoughts,” Devin said
“That’s important-” I started
“They are not happy with you at all,” Mathew said
“Who’s not?” I asked
“Clarence and a lot of the older Custos,” Mathew said
“I don’t care, I was just trying to help and if they can’t see that then-” I started
“No the whole time they were just comparing you to your dad,” Devin said
“Why,” I said getting even more upset
“Your dad before he turned tried to change the system,” Mathew said and I stayed quiet, “He had a lot of good ideas but they ignored him as well, it wasn’t until after everything happened that they decided to change a few of their ideas.”
“As much as you might not want to hear it Katelyn but you are a lot like your dad before he became a latronum.” Devin said
“Okay but that doesn’t mean that I’m going to be just like him,” I said
“We know that but people find it easy to make assumptions.” Devin said
“Well then they should know that I won’t stop until I finish what my parents started.” I said as we pulled up to a clinic.
“That’s why you have us,” Mathew said as we got out of the car.
“Not this place again,” I said
“Aside from the fact that this is where you had your surgery done, this is where Custos are sent when they are in pretty bad shape,” Mathew said and I nodded as we entered
We walked past the reception desk and back into the hallway. We entered Travis’s room he was sleeping on his side. The doctor just looked at us as we entered.
“How is he?” Mathew asked as Devin and I took a seat.
“He’s coming along really good there was no anti-sleep serum or any type of tracking chip. The only thing is one of the bullets had a strange type of poison.” The doctor said. My eyes widened and I sat up straight.
“Were you able to give him an anecdote?” Mathew asked
“When we first found the poison it was such a small amount it was about .01 of a percent it’s about a .05 last time we checked but its such a small amount that it shouldn’t even affect him.”
I leaned back in my chair, I felt relief wash over me.
“That’s good to hear,” Devin said as the doctor excused himself.
“He should be up in a couple hours,” Mathew said
“So what do we do now?” I asked
“You are going to go to sleep,” Mathew said
“But-”
“Just try it doesn’t matter if you have night terrors, right now what’s important is you heal that arm.” Mathew said and I just curled up onto the chair using Devins arm as my head rest.

I was walking down the street to my old house. Was I dreaming? I could see the house, yet I couldn’t stop myself from walking to the front door. I knew I was dreaming but I wasn’t in control of my actions. I opened the door and I could faintly hear the tv, I walked into the living room to see my mom and dad sitting together. They didn’t even react to my presence.
“Mom? Dad?” I said and my dad motioned for me to sit on the other couch. I slowly walked over and my mom looked at me, she had blood coming down from the side of her mouth. I felt like I couldn’t move, no matter how much I tried to wake myself up I just couldn’t. I saw my dad turn my way and his skin was rotting.
“We’re waiting for you Katelyn,” My mom said
“Don’t you want to be like us?” My dad said and I felt like I was suffocating as they stood up to walk over to me.
Suddenly they disappeared and all my fears were replaced by the sound of piano lightly being played. I hardly remembered any of my dreams but I wouldn’t mind remembering this one. I could see a piano out in the distance and I started to walk over. The more I walked, the farther the piano seemed. I suddenly came across a tree with a tire swing. I sat down and let the music consume me. I closed my eyes as I felt the soft wind against my face. Suddenly someone whispered into my ear.
“Wake up,”

I shot up, I looked around I was at the clinic, I rubbed my eyes, I had been dreaming. Devin and Marcus were asleep.
“Are you okay?” I turned my head, Travis was still laying on his side and he was awake.
“Yeah, I was just startled in my dreams,” I said and I looked at him with a raised eyebrow.
“Hey you were having a nightmare so I did what I could, plus your dreams are so loud,” Travis smiled.
“At least this time I only had one bad dream,” I said as I pulled my chair next to the bed. I crossed my arms on the bed and rested my head on my arms. My arm had somewhat healed but it was looking better.
“You mean you only remember having one bad dream,” Travis said
“There was more?” I asked
“Yes, it’s why I probably look tired.” Travis said
“I’m sorry,” I said and he closed his eyes.
“Don’t be,” He said
“Thank you,” I said and he opened one eye
“It’s no problem, you make it seem like its the first time I’ve ever done it,” he said
“No, Thank you for saving me,” I said
“I wasn’t just going to stand back and watch,” Travis said giving me a tired smile and he closed his eyes again.
“Goodnight Travis,” I said. I was just about to fall asleep myself when I felt my phone vibrating. I got up and stepped outside.
“Hello?” I answered
“Hey,” Gavin replied
“What’s up?” I asked
“I was just calling to see if you were okay.” He asked
“Yeah why do you ask?”
“Cecilia got someone to tell her what happened at the meeting,” He replied
“Of course, I’m fine don’t even worry about me,” I said
“How come you left?” Gavin asked
“I just needed to get away, I guess,” I said
“I know what you mean,” Gavin said
“It’s awfully quiet, where are you?” I asked
“I’m outside,” Gavin said
“What are you doing outside! Who’s with you?!” I said raising my voice
“There are two custos by the door they can see me from where I’m at.” Gavin said
“Get back inside,” I said
“I don’t want to wake up anybody up, calm down,” Gavin said
“Look I, just please go inside you’ll be safe inside,” I said
“What about you? You’re not safe out there, Cecilia told me that they’re after you too,” Gavin said and I got irritated what doesn’t that girl know.
“I can fend for myself,” I said
“Why are you acting like this,” Gavin said
“Like what? Just go inside, please.” I said and then I heard shuffling, “Gavin?”
I looked at my phone he had hung up on me. I dialed Marcus.
“What is it Katelyn?” Marcus asked
“Gavin is outside bring him inside, don’t tell him I told you,” I said and I heard Marcus sigh
“Okay bye,” Marcus said and I hung up. When I walked back inside Mathew was awake.
“What was that?” Mathew asked
“I don’t want to talk about it,” I said going back to my chair. “Just let me sleep.”

“Katelyn,” Someone whispered as they shook me awake. I slowly opened my eyes it was Devin. “Come on we’re leaving.”
I stood up and stretched Travis wasn’t in his bed anymore.
“They’ll catch up,” Devin said as we walked out to the car. It was still dark but out in the horizon you could see the sky slightly beginning to light up. I stared out the window and just let my thoughts take over. What the hell was I doing with my life. I should have just broken up with Gavin earlier, the chemistry just wasn’t there. We weren’t even functional friends, aside from the fact that we had changed, my priorities in life had changed. Just that thought made me feel like a horrible person. When we got back I would have a talk with him to try and figure things out.
I broke out of my thoughts when the Travis and Mathew got into the car.
“Alright, Katelyn, no matter what happens just go with it for now,” Mathew said
“I guess,” I said

When we arrived I dreaded each step I took to the doors. When we opened the doors there were some Custos sleeping, while the rest of them were just hanging out.
“I’m going to go talk to Gavin,” I said and Mathew nodded. As I was walking away, I looked back. I never took much notice to how close Mathew, Devin, and Travis were. I guess it’s also fair to say Marcus too. It was more than just being leaders from camp, they looked too cool for their own good. I smirked as I made my way to the back door that read ‘stairs’. My smirk quickly faded as I remembered why I was going up the stairs.
When I reached the floor there were a whole bunch of Periculums sleeping on the floor. There was a handful of them that were still up, among the group was Gavin.
“Oh no you don’t,” Landon whispered to me as he started pushing me back down the stairs.
“What?” I whispered back and he walked me all the way to the bottom.
“He is not very happy with you right now,” Landon said in a low voice
“What do you mean,” I asked
“He’s upset that you sent Marcus to go get him from outside when all he wanted was to talk.” Landon replied
“I just want to talk to him,” I said
“And make a scene? I don’t think so,” Landon said
“We’ll go into the back kitchen and you can supervise if you really feel the need to.” I said and he just looked at me. “Well?”
“Fine, wait in the kitchen.” Landon said
“Thank you,” I said as I walked around to the kitchen. No one was in here so I leaned against the counter. I waited, I wasn’t even sure what I was going to say. I looked down at my clothes, I wasn’t surprised that I looked like a bloody zombie. I just had to be wearing beige today. I looked up when the door swung open.
Gavin walked in followed by Landon and Damien. I just gave Landon a look.
“What is Damien doing here,” I said to Landon then looked at Damien, “No offense.”
“I just thought-” Landon started
“I’m sorry Damien could you just wait outside the door I really don’t want every Custos to hear my business.” I said
“I completely understand,” He said as he walked out the door
“Do you really think things will get that bad?” I said to Landon and he shrugged his shoulders. “Gavin we really need to talk.”
“I know,” Gavin said
“I honestly don’t even know where to start,” I said
“It’s okay, I know you have a lot going on, it was just hard finding out my parents weren’t who I thought they were.” Gavin said and I stayed quiet. I was a horrible person, Gavin knew everything that was going on with me but I knew nothing about him. “I know you’re just trying to protect me but I don’t want that to get in the way of us, with time we can have a stronger connection.”
I slowly nodded.
“We’ll get through this together,” Gavin said as he grabbed my hands. I looked down, what was I doing. I knew I had to stop this before it got worse. He put a hand under my chin and slowly brought his lips to mine. Gavin’s kiss was gentle, he wasn’t rough at all. He wrapped his arms around my waist as he pulled me closer. He broke the kiss and whispered, “You’re all I have left.”
I squeezed my eyes shut, he was only making this harder for me.
“Don’t say that,” I said he stepped back when someone knocked on the door. We looked Landon wasn’t even facing us. Damien peeked his head through the door.
“Another meeting is going to start, they’ve already started setting out tables.” Damien said
“Okay,” Landon said quickly hurrying out. I couldn’t help but smile it wasn’t my fault he felt awkward. It’s not like I was enjoying myself either.
“I’ll be out in a minute,” I said and Damien nodded and left.
“Are you going to be okay?” I asked him.
“Yeah,” He said and I felt like I couldn’t look him straight in the eyes. We walked out and I watched as he headed back upstairs. As I walked over to the table I grabbed a chair from the racks. Most of the guys were already sitting down, I sat down at the table I sat down next time, except I was next to Damien and Adrian.
I put my head down on the table. I was mad at myself for not doing the right thing. Why was this so hard? Was it because he was my best friend? Was this what I wanted deep down inside but I just didn’t want to accept it? What if I was suppressing my feelings? I felt like I could cry.
“So... are things with you and Gavin better?” Damien asked
“I don’t want to talk about it,” I said still with my head to the table
“Well from what I saw,” Landon started and I lifted my head
“Not a word, Landon. Not another word.” I said and he slowly nodded as I put my head back down.
“It can’t be that bad,” Blake said
“So did you decide to work things out?” Damien asked. I sat up what part of ‘I don’t want to talk about it’ did they not understand.
“Can we change the subject, I already said that I really don’t want to talk about it,” I said and I saw Marcus stop walking.
“Talk about what?” Marcus asked
“She doesn’t want to talk about,” Eddie said
“If something is bothering you, you should talk about it.” Marcus said
“What is this intervention?” I asked
“Alright everyone take your seats,” Clarence called out. “First I will name the street the house is on and then I will list those of you who have been added to that house.”
I just rolled my eyes. Theres always that one person that gets on your nerves beyond comprehension and what makes it worse is that it seems that nobody else feels the same about them. This person happen to be Clarence. I was hardly paying attention until he said Jack’s name. I was waiting for him to list any of the rest of us but he didn’t. Was this going to be another Masquerade all over again. I started paying attention closely, he was listing another group. He said Landon and Adam’s name and that was it. In the next group he said Julian, I was waiting for my name but he didn’t he just moved on. I tapped my fingers on the table, I was anxious to know where I was going to be placed.
“That is all,” Clarence said and I felt myself flinch. He couldn’t have seriously forgotten me could he? “Everyone go to your groups you’ll be given further directions from there.”
I watched as everyone got up. Damien patted my shoulder as he left. I looked at Clarence as he motioned me over. I looked back at Mathew but he was talking to Marcus. When I reached Clarence he was just watching everyone.
“So...” I started
“Hold on,” Clarence said
“Okay...” I said as I waited patiently. I watched as the groups assembled. For so many of us it was pretty organized.
“Everything seems to be going good, so let’s go.” Clarence said
“Where are we going?” I asked
“To my office,” Clarence said as I followed him. I kept my guard up, I looked at Mathew one more time he still didn’t notice. Once we were outside the sun was already out.
“So why are we going to your office?” I asked as I got into the car.
“They wanted me to go over your record before the board makes a final decision.” Clarence said
“Decision about?” I asked
“You’ll see,” He said
“Okay...” I trailed off.
“I honestly don’t know what they’re thinking,” Clarence said
“What do you mean?” I asked and he just shook his head.
“Then why would you even say anything if you weren’t going to tell me,” I said
“Why are you so persistent?” He asked
“Persistent? More like annoyed that you would bring something up and then not want to talk about.” I said
“Fine. The board really likes you for some reason. I have no idea why, I think you’re too young and a bit ignorant. Your father had some good ideas but then when he went downhill he used his potential for the wrong thing, so I guess in a sense they see a lot of potential in you.” Clarence said
“Then what do they have planned for me?” I asked as we pulled up a building. It was the same place where they Daphne was interrogated.
“Come on,” He said as he got out of the car. I looked around there were no other cars here, was this like some sort of hide out for Custos? Maybe like a police station but for the guardians. We walked the opposite way of the interrogation rooms. Clarence office was a mess, he had paper in messy piles. There were books next to the walls and the shelves were horribly organized, the books were all slanted to the side.
“You ever heard of being organized.” I asked
“With so much going on that is the last thing on my mind,” Clarence said
“Yeah but this is just,” I paused as I looked around.
“I know, I got it okay, now hold on while I pull up your record,” He said typing away something on his computer. I just stood there, he picked up his cell phone. He was speaking in a foreign language, it could’ve been Latin but I wasn’t completely sure. I walked over to his bookshelf I pushed the books back into place. All of the books were in Latin, sometimes I wonder why they even let me ‘Graduate’ from camp. I wasn’t even as great as the other guys, sure I did improve immensely but anybody could have said I wasn’t ready. I furrowed my eyebrows, where were all these thoughts coming from.
When I was at camp I felt like I had to much on my plate to be thinking about things like this. All I could think of is where I was suppose to be and what I needed to do to get there. Determination is what got me here, yet things seemed to be falling apart at the seams. What if this is what happened to my dad before he lost it. I clenched my fist, I would never do what he did.
“Katelyn?” Clarence said and I quickly turned my head. “Are you deaf?”
“No, I was just thinking,” I said
“You’ve been given an assignment,” Clarence said
“Okay, who’s on my team?” I asked
“You, yourself, and you,” Clarence said and I just gave him a blank stare
“I seriously think the board has lost their mind but they need more Guardians out in action. So they want you to go back to camp, but instead of being a teacher or a student you will be a scout.” He said handing me a notebook.
“A scout?” I asked flipping through the notebook, it was just blank pages.
“Yes, they want you to take notes on anybody at the camp that you feel is ready to leave the camp. They feel like you’ll have a good sense of judgement on who is ready physically and mentally.” Clarence said
“Oh but couldn’t they have given this task to Mathew or one of the Team Leaders?” I asked
“Yes but they’re going to be too busy running the camp, they already have a lot to deal with. Also if for some reason the Latronums tried to make a move to come for you then you’d be safer and away from Royals. Another good reason is that the camp is one of the locations that is the most reasonable distance between each of the Royal’s homes.” Clarence said
“I see, so that’s it?” I said
“Please take this assignment very seriously, this could decide your addition to the board.” Clarence said and I dropped my notebook. I quickly picked it up.
“What?” I asked
“Invitation... to... become... a... member,” He started saying slowly.
“I got that but I don’t understand, I, this, me,” I felt light headed and took a seat on a stack of books near the wall.
“They think you have ideas, that could work in the future but you’re still too young.” He said
“I don’t even know what to say.” I said
“Well you’re not supposed to say anything, to anyone,” Clarence say
“Not even about the assignment?” I asked
“Oh that’s different,” Clarence said
“How come you get to know who’s on the board.” I asked
“That I can’t tell you,” Clarence said getting up from his chair. “Follow me.”
follow me” I mimicked him. We were already heading our way back to the car. “Where are we going now?”
“I’m taking you to back to camp.” Clarence said like it was the most obvious thing in the world. I could just smack him in the face with this notebook.

When we pulled up to the parking lot he parked and turned off the car.
“I’ll be back in a week to get an update from you.” Clarence said as I opened the door.
“Ugh,” Was all I said as I walked up to the gates. I let out a huge sigh as I entered the camp.
♠ ♠ ♠
Why did I dread every other word that I wrote in this chapter. Oh yeah I know why I just can't tell you. Sorry it took so long, I didn't know where to stop? I don't know this one's sort of long it was tiring to write as well....
okay i'll stop ranting, Enjoy!