Sequel: This Ends Now.
Status: Sequel is coming your way soon :D

Forever Hold My Heart

What makes a perfect team.

As I entered into the camp area I could see some teams running and others meditating, it was just like my first day here. The only difference this time around was that nobody hesitated to look and I didn’t blame them. I looked like I had just come back from a bloody crime scene. I headed over to Mathew’s office. When I reached the door I knocked softly.
“Come in,” Mathew answered and I walked in and slumped down in a seat. He just watched me as I tossed the notebook on the other chair. A thought occurred to me, why did they see so much potential in me? It had to be Mathew, he was the one who wrote up all of our records.
“I think I’m losing my mind,” I said and Mathew raised his eyebrow.
“What happened?” Mathew asked and I sighed
“It’s complicated.” I said
“So what did Clarence tell you,” He asked
“I was given an assignment,” I said
“Which is?” He asked
“I’m suppose to find individual custos that I think are ready to leave camp.” I said
“That shouldn’t be too hard, I can let you have access to records and I’d inform teachers that you’ll probably be by to observe.” Mathew said and I nodded as I kept thinking about what Clarence told me. The board wants you.
“Katelyn?” Mathew said and I looked at him, “Are you listening?”
“Yeah, the whole access to records and observe.” I said and he shook his head.
“No, I was just saying you should go talk to Devin,” Mathew said
“Oh right,” I said getting up.
“Katelyn,” I looked at Mathew he was holding up a key, “You might want to go get cleaned up. Most of your stuff has already been brought down.”
“Mathew, can I ask you something?” I said looking down at the notebook.
“Sure,” He said
“If my mom really did assemble that group, how come she didn’t include me if I was a guardian?” I asked and Mathew sat up straight.
“That’s a good question.” He said and didn’t say anything else.
“Well I’m going to go get cleaned up,” I said as I grabbed the notebook and headed for the door.
“Katelyn,” Mathew said and I looked at him. “Cheer up kid.”
I gave him a weak smile and headed out.

Once I got in the shower, I cried. I wasn’t sobbing but just tears. I was so angry and upset. Why would my mom do this? Why couldn’t I just tell Gavin that I couldn’t be in a relationship right now. I always hated the board so what did they want with me. I looked down at my hands I couldn’t stop shaking. No matter how much I tried to pull it off I was scared, I had no idea what I was doing.
When I got out of the shower I walked around the halls quickly glancing into the classrooms. Where was Devin at? I pulled out my cell phone and dialed his number.
“Hello,” He answered
“Where are you?” I asked
“Field 5,” He said
“I’m on my way,” I said. When I was walking down a hallway I could hear laughing coming from a classroom. The door was open and there was someone writing something on the board. The class let out another laugh.
“Derrick you don’t have to get it this time around,” A man said I assumed he was the teacher. I never had this class so I wouldn’t know who he was.
“No, let me try one more time.” Derrick said, I looked at him. I recognized him from team testing, last time he had gotten beat up pretty bad but he didn’t give up.
I couldn’t remember his last time.
“Please have a seat,” The teacher said getting up. I walked away I had to remember to look him up later. I didn’t want any of the trainees to know if I had an interest in them.

When I finally reached field 5 Devin was with a boy around the age of 15.
“Hey,” I said as I walked over.
“Hello Katelyn, this is Mason,” Devin said
“Hello Mason,” I said
“I just found him yesterday,” Devin said
“Don’t guardians usually turn at a younger age?” I asked
“Not everyone is the same,” Devin said
“So how long have you been a Custos Mason?” I asked he wasn’t even paying attention
“His mom says he doesn’t really talk much,” Devin said
“Oh,” I said
“I’ve come out here to run some tests.” Devin said
“Without Marcus?” I asked
“Yes without him, plus it was different with you,” Devin said
“You’re so lucky Mason you might want to steer clear of Marcus.” I said with a laugh
“Alright Mason, first I want you to just run by the camp gates until you feel like you can’t or when I tell you to stop.” Devin said and Mason didn’t move. “You can go now:”
Mason just stood there. I looked at Devin with huge smile. It wasn’t everyday that someone ignored Devin.
“Mason?” Devin said trying to get his attention.
“Hey Mason come with me. Let’s go for a walk.” I said putting my arm around his shoulders.
“Where are you going?” Devin asked
“Don’t worry I got him.” I said
“What about the tests?” He called out
“There is always tomorrow.” I said
“I still need to talk to you though?” Devin said as we got farther from him.
“Tomorrow!” I yelled out throwing my other hand in the air. “So what do you want to do?”
Mason just looked at me and I removed my arm from around his shoulders.
“We can just walk if you want,” I said and he just looked down. I didn’t know what to say or if I should say anything at all. We kept walking as we hit the archery station. No one was supervising the boys. They seemed to be pretty on task that was until I saw an arrow shot into the sky, they managed to hit a bird’s wing. It came down to the ground pretty fast.
“Hey!” I ran over, “What the hell do you guys think you’re doing.”
“Katelyn, it’s just a bird,” Noah said
“It’s not just a bird. You guys are not even on task.” I said
“So, what are you going to tell,” One of them said
“No, go run until I’m tired.” I said
“You can’t do that, you’re not a leader or a teacher.” The same one said and I pulled out my phone. I dialed Mathew.
“Hello” He answered
“Hey Mathew, would you say I have the same authority as a leader over the boys?” I asked
“Yeah,” Mathew said
“Hold on,” I said putting him on speaker.
“So I do have the same authority as a leader, Mathew?” I asked again
“Yes, Katelyn,” Mathew said
“Okay thank you, bye” I said
“Bye,” Mathew said and I hung up. I looked up at the boys and they all groaned as they started running. I looked around and could see Mason with the bird in his hands. I walked over, he had already taken out the arrow.
“She’s going to be okay,” Mason said
“Well that’s good to hear,” I said
“She says thank you,” Mason said as he let the bird go. “She has a family to go back and feed.”
“How do you know that?” I asked
“She told me,” He said
“How long have you been able to hear birds,” I said
“Not just birds but other animals too, but ever since I got the marking,” He said showing me his wrist. Could this be Mason’s specialty? I looked up the boys were barely jogging except for one of them he was seriously running.
“Hey you with the red shirt,” I yelled and he slowed down and pointed at himself.
“Come here,” I said as he came over, he was really tall. He was probably taller than 6 feet. “What’s your name.”
“Bryson Morales,” He said and I wrote it down in my notebook. “You can go back to practicing archery.”
“Thank you,” He said and he walked back. I dialed Devin.
“If you’re calling me to tell me that he is too much to handle, I will never let you hear the end of it,” Devin said
“Calm down, bring the latin book of specialties,” I said
“That’s a little random,” He said
“I think Mason has a specialty,” I said
“Where are you,” His tone changed to a more serious one.
“Archery station,” I said
“Why are you different than the others,” Mason said and I was caught off guard.
“Well you know I have boobs and my voice isn’t nearly as deep as the other guys.” I smiled but he just had a serious face. “I don’t know.”
“You seem to be a pretty composed person,” Mason said
“What do you mean?” I asked
“My Dad use to always watch the news about you and things like that.” Mason shrugged
“So I’m composed because of the news?” I asked unsure
“No, you walk around like nothing is wrong,” He said and I slowly nodded.
“What’s it feel like to kill somebody?” Mason asked and I felt my stomach drop.
“Enough about me, tell me about yourself.” I said
“There’s not much to tell,” He said and I just looked up. The guys were still jogging while Bryson kept practicing.
“Do you want to go shoot some arrows,” I said
“I don’t know how,” He said and we walked over to where Bryson was at.
“It’s quite simple, actually no its not I lie I couldn’t do it my first time around.” I said as I picked up a bow. “Marcus is the best one at this. He becomes one with his target.”
When I looked back at Mason, Byrson was fixing Masons posture.
“Just like that,” Bryson said to Mason. When he let it go he actually hit the board, he was far from the middle target but he hit it none the less..
“Well then I’ll just let you two continue,” I said putting the bow down. I continued to watch them, they were getting along pretty good. I wrote down Masons name down in my note book. I closed it and a thought occurred to me, what if I made a team.
“Okay, I’m here,” Devin said carrying the book, “So what makes you think he has a specialty.”
“He can talk to animals,” I said
“Oh, are you sure,” He asked
“Well I mean I don’t see why he would lie,” I said and he took a seat in the grass. I sat down across from him.
“Why are the guys running?” Devin asked, I looked up at the guys they were actually running now.
“I told them to run until I was tired.” I said
“How come Bryson isn’t with them.” Devin asked
“Because he’s the only one who was actually trying.” I said
“They all look like they’re trying,” Devin said
“Yeah once you got here,” I said and he just shook his head as he opened the book.
“So how is this thing organized,” I asked
“It’s not,” Devin said with a smile.
“Oh God,” I said
“Okay I found one.” Devin said looking up, “No it can’t be that one, nevermind. Ah this one.”
“What?” I asked
“Hey Mason come here,” Devin said and Mason just kind of looked at him. I waved him over and he walked over. Devin just looked at me. “Hey buddy I have to ask you some questions, okay.”
Mason just nodded.
“When you talk to the animals can you only talk to one at a time or just focus on one of their thoughts at a time?” Devin asked
“Yeah,” Mason said and his face lit up, like finally someone understood him.
“You have a specialty Mason and it is called animalis interpres” Devin said
“So then the odds of me bonding are very low right?” Mason asked and I nodded
“Now that we know that, will you let Devin run the need tests?” I asked. He looked at me and he slowly nodded.
“Okay,” Mason said getting up.
“Why don’t you go run with those guys,” Devin said Mason got up and started running with the guys. “Thanks.”
“No problem,” I said
“So hows your scouting going?” Devin asked
“I’m not sure, I mean I haven’t really been looking.” I said
“You’ll just know,” Devin said
“Hey before I forget what exactly does the board do?” I asked
“Well they approve or deny any requests submitted by Custos and Periculums. They make decisions on all the assignments that are given out. They are in charge of handling what the finances are and know where Custos can get their supplies. ” Devin said watching Mason. He was keeping up with the guys, when I first started I think I got overlapped at least 5 times.
“Who even decides who gets to be on the board,” I asked
“They do,” Devin said
“What if they becom corrupt,” I asked
“It’s happen before but the Custos just ignored them completely and then a new board was made.” Devin said
“That makes no sense,” I said
“Weren’t you paying attention in Custos 101,” Devin said raising his eyebrow. I gave him a smile and he just shook his head.
“Before I forget, do you know Derrick?” I asked him
“Acosta or Hays,” He asked
“I don’t know his last name,” I said
“Oh you’re probably talking about Derrick Acosta, he seems like a good fit. He does pretty good in everything I guess you would just have to see for yourself.” Devin said
“Well he does seem to have determination.” I said
“You know you should check out people from teams placed in first, second, and then just make your way down from there.” Devin said
“That’s not a bad idea,” I said watching as Mason started falling a little bit behind but he kept pushing himself. “What place is this team in?”
“mmm 4th place.” Devin said, “Keep in mind since your team and the other team left every other team moved up two places. So they were originally in 6th place.”
“I just got to thinking once I have a couple of people selected, do you think Mathew would let me make them a temporary team and put them through team tournament.”
“Tournament?” Devin asked
“Yeah and the team that gets first place has to go against my team.” I said
“Sounds like an interesting concept,” Devin said I just laid on my back.
“What am I saying, I can’t get my life together how am I going to create a ‘perfect’ team,” I said
“You’ll be fine,” Devin said, “Although you do seemed more stress than usual. Is it because of what the Latronum said to you during the interrogation?”
“That’s not even the start of it.” I said
“Well I’m going to take Mason to the next thing, want to come?” Devin asked and I sat up.
“No, I don’t want to watch you make the poor kid reach exhaustion,” I said
“Well then talk to you later,” Devin said running over to Mason. Just like with me he made him run to the next part.
“Alright, you guys can stop running,” I said as I picked up the Latin book of specialties. I got up and flipped through the book. Yeah if I didn’t understand latin then I wasn’t going to understand it now. Wait I thought Clarence was talking Latin or something with the board so how could I be a board member if I couldn’t even speak Latin. Life only got more complicated by the second.

I had dropped off the book in Mathew’s office, it was about team testing time so I went out to the fields to observe. I sat down to watch the team in first place. I place the notebook in my lap and ate my apple as I watched them. Every now and then they would glance at me. I still hadn’t written anything at all. They were just marking their hits. They weren’t even hitting each other. I finally got irritated and threw my apple at them.
“What are you guys doing, get serious!” I said and they just looked at me like I was crazy. I just rolled my eyes and got up and walked away.
“Dude I thought she graduated with Damiens team.” One of them said
“I heard that she got beat up so bad that they sent her back.” Another one said. I stopped in my tracks. I looked down at my hand, I had broken my pencil. I dropped my stuff on the floor, I took off my tank top, I had on a sports bra so I didn’t even care.
“That’s it follow me and keep up.” I said and I started running. I was just running recklessly if you ask me. I wanted to see how far I could push them. We ran through the halls and I made a turn for the swimming pool. Once it was in sight I dove right in and swam as fast as I could to the other side. When I reached the other side only 1 out of the 6 of them had jumped in. I pulled myself out and the other guy followed.
“What’s your name,” I said catching my breath
“Oliver,” He said
“Last name?” I asked
“Langley,” He said
“Good Job, Oliver go was up and meet your team when you’re ready. The rest you, get out of here and go back to training.” I said. Once they all left I just stayed floating in the pool trying to catch my breath. I heard a slow applause, I looked to see Marcus sitting in the bleachers.
“Katelyn just because someone jumps into the pool after you doesn’t make them ready,” Marcus said and I rolled my eyes.
“You have to read between the lines. See the difference between Oliver and the rest of his team was that Oliver was willing to go the distance even if it was just a small request such as follow me. Oliver was loyal and determined, determination is key.” I said and Marcus laughed
“If you say so,” Marcus said and I splashed water at him.
“Do you have any better suggestions,” I said
“Yeah looking at their records, which we all know you haven’t done.” Marcus said
“Well first I want to find anyone who catches my attention, then I’ll go to the records and from there I’ll stalk them around for some hardcore observation.” I said
“By the way Devin passed your idea to Mathew,” Marcus said as I got out of the pool.
“And?” I asked
“He sent a request into the board,” He said and I clenched my fist.
“Ugh, should have seen that one coming,” I said
“By the way Travis is looking for you,” Marcus said
“Well let him know that I’ll be there once I go get changed.” I said
“Alright, see you later,” Marcus said.

I took a quick shower and got dressed. All I could think about was who I thought I had for my ‘team’. The boy who kept trying no matter how much they laughed, the one who listened when no one else did, the one who jumped into the pool when no one else did, the one who didn’t just do anything he was told. The only thing they had in common was doing what nobody else did. I guess it could be seen as a good thing. I started walking over to Travis office, when I reached the door I knocked.
“Come in,” Travis said and I walked in and took a seat.
“Marcus said you were looking for me,” I said
“Not really just wanted to talk,” He said
“Oh more tips or is this a lecture,” I said
“No I just wanted to see how you’re doing,” He said
“I’m still breathing,” I said
“That’s good to hear?” Travis said with a confused look, “This is yours.”
He handed me two bags it was the skirt Nate bought me and the shoes Gavin gave me. I had to end it with Gavin no matter what no matter what.
“Can I ask you for a favor,” I said
“Depends,” Travis said
“Could you take me to go see Gavin later on today,” I said
“Yeah, I don’t see why not,” Travis said
“Thanks,” I said
“No problem,” He said then he opened his draw. “Oh before I forget, look what came in today.”
He handed me a thick magazine.
“It’s from the Masquerade.” Travis said I flipped through the pages, I saw my picture with Travis.
“We look sharp,” I said with a smile. The other pictures of me were when I was dancing with Adam and when I was at the table.
“You can take it with you,” Travis said
“Thank you, so I’ll see you later.” I said grabbing my things
“We’ll go during lounge time,” He said
I dropped my things off when I remembered I had left my notebook out in the fields. I hurried over and it was right where I left it with my broken pencil. I looked up at the sky, there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. It would have to be such a beautiful day the day I would break my best friends heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so tired so all I have to say is enjoy.