Status: Hope you enjoy comments and views are much appriciated

Alexandria Genesis

Chapter 2

"Lovina dear, are you almost ready?" Papa asked after he knocked on my door. "Papa, this is my first ball by myself, beauty cannot be rushed." He sighed. I sat in front of the mirror. My eyes seemed to be darker. I blinked. Mamma always said her and I were different from everyone else. I always knew that since I was around the age of six.

***

I was at a play date with my friend Lollie, and her older sister was playing dress up with us.

"Lovi, your hair is quite dark, I mean, your papa has pretty yellow hair, why not you?" "My mamma has dark hair." She unrolled the curlers in my hair. "Pretty." She said in a monotone. She came to look at my face. "Your eyes are still abnormal you know." "I know, but what can I do?" "Nothing much. Hopefully your parents will keep you out of the schools. Children there can be so mean." She put some light pink stuff on my lips. "There, you couldn't have been perfected but I tried." She lightly shoved me away and sent me to sit on her bed.

***
I shoved the memory out of my head. I turned back to the mirror. I took a deep breath and let it out. Was I really such a disgrace to everyday aristocrats? I didn't have the normal light hair and the slight sun kissed skin. The pompous figure that the female acquired in their later years was out the window for me. Why, why did I have to be so abnormal

"I'm not going!" I shouted. "What, please repeat Lovi but in a calmly manner." My father said. "I'm not going to the ball." He entered my room and came to a stand behind me. I lay my head on my vanity. "Now why would you do that Lovi? You were so excited for it earlier."

I lifted my head up. "Yes I know, but I have changed my mind." Papa chuckled. Why would he laugh? Was I so amusing to him? "Lovi you are your mother's child, and as you mother's child you are a child of stubbornness. So please tell me another reason why you have decided not to go."

"Papa, am I ugly?"

A pause...

"No of course not. Lovina you are quite beautiful. Who said you were ugly." "No one in particular. Just that, I do not look like most girls." "And nor did your mother but she had the bachelors after her. You should've seen them when her father and mother announced that they were looking for her husband. Gifts were being thrown at her left and right." "Were you one of them?" I asked. "Not at all, I sat back and waited."

***
"Mary may you spare a moment with me please?"

"I think you're looking for my papa, he handles the eligible men." "Yes I know but I would like to speak with you." "If you want to give me a gift you can go and give it to the butler, he handles the gifts."

"Ah but you see again, I want to speak to you."

"Okay, you may speak." "Well, I was hoping we could go for a ride in my carriage and talk."

"I'll have to see what papa thinks of that." "What papa doesn't know won't hurt him."

"Finally, real excitement."

***
"But papa, why have I not gotten any marriage proposals. Grandmother Verla said I must marry soon before I become ugly." "Oh that mother of mine. Do not listen to her. You'll get married when you're good and ready. Now if we don't hurry we might miss this ball you're going to." He stood and held out his arm. I wrapped my arm around his and walked out of my room.

"Oh Lovi you look amazing," My mother said. "Thank you mamma." "Now have a good time and remember to be a lady. I do not care what Lollie and that rebel sister of hers is doing you remain classy." "Of course."

We got into the car and we were off.

Lollie lived half an hour away. When we got to her estate, the lights were bright and people were getting out of the cars.

"Would you like me to walk you to the door?" My father asked. "Please." We got out and he led me to the front door. He kissed my forehead and bid me a goodbye. I turned around and Lollie and her sister Lillian were standing in front of me.

"You had your father escort you here? Aren't you turning fifteen tomorrow?" Lillian said. "Lillian do not be so mean to one of our guest, especially to such a close friend of mine." Lollie came and embraced me. Fake was standing in front of me.