Status: Just beginning

Last Call For Lovers

Ironing Out The Details

Odette’s paint-splattered hands moved over the keyboard feverishly as she checked her online art account and email simultaneously. She had 79 notifications – mostly comments on her latest upload (a portrait of her rabbit, Stu) – and over a hundred emails, asking for commissions.

She knew that she would get around to doing all the commissions eventually, even the five dollar ones, but right now she needed something big. The family was low on money at the moment, and although the larger, more expensive commissions took longer to make, they were better in the short term for a large amount of money. Odette could accept all the five-and-ten dollar commissions she received, and do them in two weeks, but it wouldn’t even make half of what she could get from a large commission in a month.

Plus, she reasoned, I just really feel like throwing myself into a large art project at the moment.

The aspiring artist was just about to close her computer, not having any commissions large enough, when her email alert pinged. Reading the email, a large smile spread over Odette’s face. This was exactly the commission she had been hoping for. It was quite a large commission, a couple of hundred dollars, at the absolute very least, and it was for a girl’s birthday. The requestee didn’t state their name, nor the other names of the people she would be painting, but said that the style was up to her, so long as it was landscape portrait of all five people, and able to be painted within 6 weeks for this girl’s birthday.

A challenge, Odette thought, smiling wryly. I accept. Usually the requests she received were very strict, clear and ordered, leaving not much room for imagination. This was exactly the project she’d been hoping for. She was going to be able to let herself go, choose any art style/period she wanted, and submerse herself completely into the art. It was perfect.

She clicked the ‘reply’ button on her email, typing in three small words.

When and where?

*

Liam read through the email elatedly, hitting Louis’ face in his excitement. He didn’t really care that he’d hit Louis – he considered it payback for all the times Louis slapped his face.

‘She’s agreed! She’s gonna do it guys! She’s gonna paint us!’

Louis glowered at the curly-haired boy as he slipped on a hooded jumper before rubbing at his reddened cheek. ‘Liam that hurt! And who’re you talking about?’

Liam sighed dramatically, throwing a pillow at Louis’ face. They boys were all spending the next few days at Louis and Harry’s apartment, and Harry, Niall and Zayn were currently in the kitchen cooking. Louis was getting ready to go and get pizza for when this cooking experiment inevitably failed.

‘Odette! Odette Adams, the artist? Remember? The one we sent a commission to for Dani’s birthday – she’s gonna do it! We’ve just to go tell her when and where to meet up for the first consultation.’

‘Wha’ conhulhashun?’ Niall stood in the doorway, a batter-coated wooden spoon stuck in his mouth. He pulled the spoon out, licking it clean. ‘We gave up and decided to bake biscuits instead. Harry makes really good biscuits! But what’s this consultation you were talking about?’

Zayn and Harry appeared at Niall’s shoulder, Harry stirring a large metal bowl and Zayn with flour all over his face and in his hair.

Liam sighed. ‘Danielle. Birthday. Commissioned painting. Present. Artist wants to know when and where.’ Sometimes, it was just easier to dumb things down rather than to repeat oneself again.

‘Oh!’ Niall was excited. ‘Cool! I’ve always wanted to be painted! It’s so much different from being in a photoshoot…’

Zayn laughed. ‘Gonna get her to paint a portrait of yourself and hang it in your livin’ room when you move out of home?’

Niall reddened. ‘No, I’ll get one of you instead.’

Harry snorted, nearly dropping the biscuit mixture. ‘That would make many a fan happy,’ he laughed.

Louis shook his head in wonderment, grabbing his set of keys. ‘Right, I’m off for pizza. I’ll be back in a half-hour. Please, please don’t burn the apartment down while I’m gone, ‘else we won’t be able to afford this painting. And I’ve looked her up guys: she’s actually really good. I’m looking forward to this portrait – it’ll be fun.’

He slipped out the door and Liam turned to face the other three boys. ‘Right. Styles, go put those biscuits in to cook. Niall, go help Harry clean up by eating all the leftover mixture. Zayn, c’mere and help me decide when and where we’re gonna meet here.’

Each boy nodded, and Harry and Niall disappeared back into the kitchen. Soon there came a flurry of arguments as the two boys argued over who got to eat the batter on the big spoon.

‘But you already ate what was on the wooden spoon!’ was the line Harry seemed fond of repeating.

Liam rolled his eyes and turned to face his computer as Zayn sat down on the edge of his bed.

‘Okay, where’s quiet enough that this will be kept a secret, close enough to get to often if need be, and large enough to hold all her art needs?’

Zayn was quiet for a moment as he racked his brain for a place that met all three of Liam’s criteria. He smiled when the answer hit him, and grabbed Liam’s computer, typing in the answer and hitting the ‘send’ button.

‘Done.’ He grinned.

Liam was thrilled. It was perfect.

--*--


Odette’s email pinged just as she was putting the finishing touches on a small commission she’d received a few weeks prior. Her eyes scanned the words, and she smiled.

Old, empty ballet studio. A mile from city centre. Called Lili’s. Next Wednesday at 2pm.

It sounded absolutely perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
That was a fun chapter to write, whoo~
Glad to see it getting some comments and subscribers - love you guys!