Status: Just beginning

Last Call For Lovers

The New Client

Odette secured every single thing she needed to bring for this meeting. She wanted to be ready in case the requester wanted to start on the moment, right on the spot. She fixed all her brushes; thin and thick, all her paints; in every shade and hue. She decided to bring some money along with her too, to buy a new canvas. She considered the fact that 5 people in one painting might use up a large sized canvas.

She smiled, zipping her painting knapsack. She was excited for this commission. It was unlike any other and this was big. This could really help her family that’s now in a tight finance. ‘Mum, I’m going now,’ she said, kissing a tall, lanky lady on the cheek. ‘I might be home late.’

The lady looked up as she paused from knitting. ‘Another commission you’ve received honey?’

She nodded beaming. ‘Yeah, it’s a big one, so I can’t really say no.’

Her mother frowned, showing some wrinkles over her eyebrows. ‘I don’t want you to push yourself way too hard, doll. We wouldn’t want you to do this if only we had money.’

Odette understood her mother. She always knew that. But she wanted to help, she felt like she was the rock that they were leaning on. She needed to be strong. ‘I know Mum, I’m just doing this as a hobby, don’t think of it as a job.’ She smiled, assuring her mother. Her mother smiled too.

The moment Odette went out, she felt a strong breeze blowing on her skin. She knew from that moment on that this was going to be a great day. And she was so excited, she couldn’t wait.

She had to ask for directions the moment she got off train. She'd never heard of a ballet studio called Lili’s. Some people knew about it though, which eventually saved her from getting lost. When she came across a pavement, she went right because a shopkeeper told her to. And when she did, there she was, in front of Lili’s. She stood there, her knapsack slung across her miniscule body. She smiled. This was it.

--*--


The five boys stood inside the abandoned, old ballet studio. They skittered along the marbled floor, staring at thin air, waiting for the Odette that they only knew through the web. They walked around the abandoned space in silence, until Louis spoke.

‘Are you sure she’s coming?’ Lou spoke, breaking the silence. ‘I mean, we are complete strangers to her.’

The four other boys looked at each other and frowned.

‘Yeah, I don’t think she’s coming.’ Harry said, looking at his wrist watch. ‘I mean, she’s a couple minutes late. So, I doubt it.’

Liam didn’t say a word as he leaned on the wall. He knew this was a risk, but he was pretty positive that she needed the money, and this is going to be something big. He sort of knew, actually, but it was like he just hoped.

‘Guys. I know she’s coming.’ Niall said, with sincerity. ‘Just don’t be so negative, it brings me down. Just give her a few minutes. Just because she’s a tad late you’re going to say she’s not going? C’mon, give the girl a break. You’ll never know maybe she just got stuck in traffic or something.'

Louis and Harry looked at each other, and they snorted. Zayn and Liam laughed along with them too. They knew Niall had ‘thing’ for her now. Niall wasn’t the type who’d do these kinds of tantrums about girls. Most of his tantrums regarded food, but never girls. So this was new.

‘Our baby’s finally growing up,’ cracked Louis as he grabbed his tummy that was hurting from too much laughing. ‘Aww, our Irish baby’s got a crush,’ they teased.

Niall rolled his eyes and stared at his watch. And suddenly, their laughter broke with a big knock on the door. They all jumped and stared at each other. No one wanted to answer the door. No one moved. Then after a moment, they all stared at Niall who shook his head vigorously.

‘No way guys. I’m not opening that door.’ He said, his expression nervous. ‘Not a chance.’

Liam shook his head. ‘Fine, I’ll do it then.’

He moved closer to the door and turned the knob. The moment the door was open, he saw a girl. A girl that was weighted down by painting materials. Her eyes zoomed in on Liam’s face and her jaw dropped.

‘Liam? Liam Payne?’ she squeaked.

Liam smiled at her sheepishly. ‘Yep, your new client.’