Sequel: Betrayal

Deception

Intro

Shouts of anger and screams of despair came from every which way. The stone walls were damp and the air held a musty smell. The corridor was dark, hardly any light to guide someone, and making it nearly impossible to see anyone behind the bared doors.

This was how everyday was spent though. In the cool, fowl smelling, darkness. The agonizing screams the only sound in the place.

The click-clack of people walking down the corridor was unusual though. It wasn’t a normal sound in such a dark place, and many people tucked away in their cells froze and watched as they went by.

Two cloaked figures walked together in quick steps. They held themselves tall and walked in a such a determined way that no one would bother to stop them if someone were around to.

“This way,” the much taller and bulkier person said, turning curtly to the left. But his companion was already ahead of him, leading the way like they had been there a million times before. Which they hadn’t.

The man hurried his pace, his dark green cloak seemed almost to shimmer when the light caught it, making him almost majestic looking. Were their people about they would have stop and stare and watched this finely dressed man with his intimidating build and wonder what he was doing there.

The shorter one came to an abrupt stop in front of a cell. Unlike their friend, this person seemed to want to be anything but noticed. Their face was hidden behind their dark blue cloak, giving a certain mysteriousness about them.

The taller man, who had spoken earlier rested his hand on his companions shoulder in support. Though his face remained rather hard and cool, the way he stood next to his friend gave off a certain protectiveness.

A muffled cry came from somewhere in the dark cell. An almost pathetic whimpering followed the cry, as if the person just wanted to be put out of their misery.

The person in the dark blue cloak stepped forward, wrapping their slender hand around the bar tightly. A hand suddenly clasped onto theirs, momentarily starling them, and refused to let go.

“Mrs. Kingston, you have a visitor.” The tall man spoke, his voice rough and deep.

“I’m innocent.” The women croaked out and shifted her weight causing her chains to rattle. “I’m innocent, I’m innocent.” she repeated over and over again. The wrinkles on her face made the woman seem much older than she really was. Her dark hair was frizzy and dirty and stood in different directions. “I was framed,” she whimpered out. “I’m innocent.”

“I know,” The person in blue soothed to the half-crazed woman. Mrs. Kingston gulped, her eyes darting this way and that, as if afraid she was only imaging those words.

“I didn’t do anything.” Mrs. Kingston said, gripping the cloaked figure’s hand tighter, digging her nails into the flesh and drawing blood. Her dark eyes were wide as a small spark of hope flickered in them. “I didn’t, I didn’t, I swear. I‘m here but they‘re still out there. They lie. I‘m innocent.”

The cloaked figure tilted their head to the side, their pale face just catching the little light there was. A rueful grin spilled onto their lips as they leaned in closer as if they were going to tell a secret.

“Do not worry Mother, no one will go unpunished.”