Sequel: Betrayal

Deception

The Plan

The chair squeaked loudly as Amara shifted her weight. The small room felt stuffy and to make matters worse a heavy tension had fallen over Jonathan and herself.

It felt like a lifetime that the two sat there staring at one another. But it was, in almost all certainty, only a few minutes. Amara was growing agitated with Jonathan’s silence and Jonathan was trying to debate what he should tell the little girl.

“Amara, I-” He started but Amara sent him an angry glare which shut his protest very quickly. “Look, I need to know for certain that you’ll listen and you’ll see this through. Are you sure you can handle it?”

“I’m not a child.” She answered, leaning forward in her seat. “Just tell me. I want to know all of it.”

“You are a child, Amara.” He said then slowly shook his head. “You’re only seven.”

“Well I don’t feel seven,” was her reply. “I feel like my childhood has been taken away from me.”

“That’s because it has been,” Jonathan muttered. He studied the young girl closely. She looked so much like her father that it was almost painful for Jonathan. Though Mia and Amara were identical twins, Mia seemed to have had a certain air about her that her mother did. But Amara, no, this girl was just like her father. Always straight to the point. “Fine, but know that we can’t go back once we start.”

Amara nodded her head in understanding. She felt like throwing up, all her questions would soon be answered. And with this sick feeling came giddiness at knowing all the truths, knowing that she could avenge her parents.

“Your parents weren't bad people, Amara.” Jonathan began. “They made bad choices, however, especially your father. See, when your father was very young he became involved with this certain group of people. He wanted to fit in with his friends - especially his best friend.”

Amara raised a brow, but restrained herself from saying anything.

“After Hogwarts he became a Death Eater.” Jonathan said, eying Amara wearily. “He liked the idea of it. However, what he thought it was going to be like and what it actually was like, were two separate things entirely.”

Amara bit her bottom lip. She knew of Death Eaters, of course, but to think her father was one was almost unimaginable.

“Your father believed that pure-bloods were superior. Even so, he didn’t necessarily believe that Muggles and Muggle-born were filth at the bottom of his shoe. He did believe that they should be separated in society though.”

Amara nodded her head, urging Jonathan to continue. But Jonathan paid no mind to the little girl any more. He was staring off into space, as if remembering everything.

“You father soon got your mother to marry him. Apparently, he fancied her throughout his school years, but she never paid much attention to him due to the fact that she disliked his best friend. Somehow he won her over after Hogwarts and they were married before they were twenty. She didn’t agree with him being a Death Eater. Actually, they constantly fought about it.”

“They did?” Amara furrowed her brow. She wasn’t naive in thinking her parents didn't argued from time to time. But they always made up rather quickly and they certainly didn’t do it often.

“Yes. You see, although your dear mother was in Slytherin, she wasn’t very mean, for a lack of a better word. She had a certain way about her. She couldn’t be bothered by the silly things in life. She was quite mature for her age and tended to be a loner at school. She almost seemed untouchable, which led many to dislike her. They thought she was snobby and that she believed she was better than everyone else.”

Amara considered this. Her mother was a very reserved woman, and hardly ever yelled. If she was angry she’d simply purse her lips and furrow her brows. She could see why people may have found her mother a bit standoffish.

“Your father was constantly trying to get out of You-Know-Who’s grasp. But your father was scared. Once, though, your father voiced his opinion about the killing of Muggles.”

“What happened?” Amara asked. It came out in a whisper, but Jonathan apparently heard her.

“You-Know-Who killed your Grandmother Suzie.” Jonathan answered with a sigh. “She was all your father had left. You see, your grandfather had died in a terrible potion accident when your father was just a boy. Your grandmothers death broke your fathers heart.”

Of course Amara knew her fathers parents had died. She also knew that her father didn’t have uncles or aunts, siblings or anything of the sort.

“And so, your father tried to behave himself and tried to stay in the background, hoping that You-Know-Who wouldn't notice him. The only person your father really complained to was his best friend. Sadly, that was a terrible idea. You see, your fathers best friend was a coward, and was constantly urging your father to stand up to You-Know-Who.”

“Who was his best friend?” Amara asked, furrowing her brow.

Jonathan held his hand up to silence her. “I’m getting to that. But now, I must enter the picture. You see, I was quite a few years younger than your father. I had admired him quite a bit during school, though I was in Ravenclaw and he was in Slytherin. Still your father had acknowledged me and had often helped me with my school work.”

“You were a first year and he was a seventh, correct?” Amara couldn’t help but ask. Jonathan nodded his head.

“You see, I fell in love with this amazing woman, Ann Marie. The problem was, she was a squib. I had met her during summer holidays my fourth year and instantly fell for her. Her father did not approve. He didn’t believe that I loved his daughter and thought I was playing some cruel prank.”

Amara raised a brow. She was wondering what any of this had to do with her parents.

“My seventh year, Ann Marie became pregnant. Afraid of her fathers reaction we ran away and I ran to the only person I could trust - your father. Your parents took Ann Marie and I in. I will forever be grateful, for those were dark times, certainly. Your mother wasn’t exactly thrilled about the whole thing, but she never voiced any objections and helped Ann Marie the best she could.”

Jonathan’s gaze finally fell on Amara. A sad look over came his features as he thought about his Ann Marie.

“We staid hidden at your parents home. No one knew that I lived there. No one knew that your father and I were friends.” Jonathan stated. “Soon your mother became pregnant with you and your sister and your mother began to fret about everything. She insisted that we should all run away, but your father refused. Then I began working at the Ministry and soon after Jane was born.”

Amara gave him a weak smile, but it fell instantly at Jonathan’s chocked sob.

“Jane was early and had come so quickly that everything was almost a blur. We were afraid Jane would die, but she didn’t. No, but Ann Marie did.” Jonathan said in a soft voice. So many emotions washing over him. “It seemed bad things kept happening after that. Your mothers father died - he was an Auror - and that just about destroyed your mother. Then there were whispers of a prophesy. But not many believed it. You and your sister were soon born and I found a house for Jane and I.”

“Well, that doesn’t sound too bad.” Amara said. Jonathan shrugged, pursing his lips.

“It was lonely.” He answered. “Soon your fathers best friend had his own child and it began to become apparent that your father could no longer trust his friend and stopped speaking to him for the most part. This, of course, made your fathers friend very curious but that friendship soon ended. And then that bloody prophesy came about again and You-Know-Who was going to kill the little boy.. Your father was not please about this, at all. His ex-friend knew this - it was apparent for all to see, really - and urged your father to stop this.”

Amara cocked her head to the side.

Jonathan ran his hand down his face. “For the life of me, I still don’t understand why your father listened to him. Perhaps it was because this had been his childhood friend. The best man at his wedding. The would-have-been godfather to you and your sister. But yes, your father listened to him. He threatened to go to the Ministry and then he ran. He took you, Mia, and your mother and just ran.”

The room fell silent.

Jonathan rubbed his hands together and raised a brow. “Would you like some tea?”

“Jonathan!” Amara cried, slightly agitated.

“Fine.” Jonathan muttered. “You-Know-Who tortured your mothers mother. He wanted to know where your father was hiding. She didn’t know, though and was eventually killed for being useless. You-Know-Who gave up looking for your father for the time being for he had more pressing things to do. He eventually figured he could take care of your father later. We all know You-Know-Who died and Death Eaters were caught and Potter became The Boy Who Lived. You’d think your father would come out of hiding after this, correct?”

Amara nodded head. But she had a bad feeling.

“He probably would have too, if your fathers
best friend hadn’t made out your father to be this wretched man.”

“But wasn’t his best friend a Death Eater?” Amara asked.

Jonathan nodded his head. “Yes, he said your father had threatened him and his family. His best friend had no choice but to go to You-Know-Who and said when he tried to defy becoming a Death Eater he was put under the imperius curse.”

“And they believed him?” Amara raised a brow. There was no way that the Ministry could possibly believe this.

“They did,” Jonathan answered. “His friend said your father was dangerous and knew information. Your father became a very wanted man after that. People believed that your father was training you and your sister for dark purposes as well. And your mother, many believed, was even worse than your father.”

“Is this why we moved around so much?” Amara questioned. It was starting to make sense now. They had never staid in one place for long.

“Working at the Ministry I was able to warn your father. Nobody suspected a thing.” Jonathan said, looking slightly proud about this. “Until suddenly they did catch your father.”

“Yes,” Amara mumbled, that night still haunted her dreams. “I remember.”

Jonathan gave her a very grave look. “So now you understand everything.”

“It seems like two people were responsible for my parents capture and my father eventual death. Sadly, one of them is dead. The other, though, will certainly pay.” Amara said, her hands balling into fists. “Who was best friend?”

“Lucius Malfoy.” Jonathan snarled, his upper lip curling.

Amara let the name sink in. She would never forget that name for as long as she lived. “I will kill him.”

“No, you wont.” Jonathan said, causing Amara to jump in shock.

“Yes!” Amara snapped. “I will! Look at what he’s done. I have no family, Mr. Hart. This whole thing had destroyed everything that I have.”

“To kill him would be such a quick and unsatisfying thing.” Jonathan told her in a calm voice. “If you really want pay back, you must make him suffer.”

“How in the world am I supposed to do that?” Amara asked.

“He has a son a few months younger than you,” was Jonathan’s simple reply. “You will get close to this boy.”

“I can’t!” Amara cried. The idea of getting close to any boy slightly sent Amara on edge. She was only seven, after all. Boys were annoying and gross. She wanted nothing to do with them. “Besides, wouldn’t his father refuse to let his son even talk to me. Much less look at me?”

“You know Jane is dying,” This seemed to shut Amara up. The young girl gave him a startled look. “Although Jane is dying, it’ll be Amara Kingston on the gravestone. To the rest of the world, Amara Kingston would die, and Jane Hart lives.”

“You want me to become Jane!” Amara snapped. She was appalled at this. “How will Jane feel when she finds out about this?”

“Only at Hogwarts.” Jonathan answered, in hopes to settle her. “And Jane already knows of the plan.”

“She does?” Amara asked. All Amara wanted to do was throw up. “How could she agree to something like this?”

“It was her idea for you to take her name, actually.” Jonathan said with a shrug. “Look, Amara, I’m not thrilled about it either. This is my daughter we are talking about. I don’t want her to die.”

“Then why do you keep her here?” Jane shook her head slowly. “Why not take her to St. Mungos?”

“Because Jane outright refuses to go.” Jonathan stated. “I took her when she was young. They believed they could help her. But Jane hated it there. She ran away once. Took the healers and I hours to find her. She was curled up in a ball in one of the broom closet. She begged me to take her home. Told me she’d rather die then be there.”

“And you listened to her?” Amara asked, shaking her head.

“You have to understand, Amara.” Jonathan said. “She’s the only thing I have left and I will do anything to make her happy. She swears up and down that she wants to die. So I have a potion that eases the pain, however it also killing her.”

“You’re killing your own daughter?” Amara jumped from her seat and felt the blood drain from her face. She slouched down back into her seat, her head hanging. “I honestly don’t know what to say.”

“As soon as Jane dies, Amara, you will become her at Hogwarts.” Jonathan said, leaving no room for discussion. “You will grow close to the Malfoy boy and you will carry on to ruin Lucius Malfoy. You will ruin his life. You will make him suffer like he has made you and your family suffer.”

Amara bit down on her bottom lip hard until it started to bleed. “I don’t think I can.”

Jonathan stood up and suddenly seemed very frightening. “I will teach you spells and potions, among other things. Just because you have yet to receive a wand does not mean I cannot teach you the proper pronunciation and wand movement.”

Amara took in a sharp breath but found she could not refuse him.

“And Amara,” Jonathan said walking towards his the door. “No matter what, you may not let your feelings get in the way. You will not grow fond of this boy, do you understand me?”

Amara nodded her head. She doubted she would ever like this Malfoy boy after all of the things his father had done.

“Jonathan,” Amara said, stopping Jonathan from walking out the door. He turned to gaze down at her, raising a brow. “Will you take me to see my mother?”

Jonathan’s gaze continued to bore down on her until finally he answered. “Someday.”

He left the room without another room, leaving Amara by herself.

That’s all it took, then. If she got to see her mother even one more time then she would do anything for Jonathan.

She would destroy Lucius Malfoy.


Image



Amara glanced up from the book she was reading as a couple of second years chattered loudly as they passed Amara and crossed to the other side of the common room, plucking down in the seats. Amara rolled her eyes, before returning to her book.

The week following the Quidditch match was a quick one and everything seemed to go by in a bit of a blur.

She and Draco had spent a great deal of time together - mostly in comfortable silence since Malfoy was still sulking over Slytherin’s defeat. He couldn‘t bother to mutter so much as two sentences unless it was to insult somebody.

When people asked if she and Draco were together, she wouldn’t deny it. And it seemed, Draco wasn’t either. Though, he didn’t really seem to care either way.

Parkinson seemed to back off. After a few failed attempts at trying to take care of Draco after his fight, she seemed to step back. Draco was still giving Parkinson the silent treatment, so all was well in Amara’s eyes.

Not to mention that Pansy started to realize that Amara’s glares were more of a threat than a mean look.

All in all life was good and Amara couldn’t complain. She had received praise from Jonathan after she had sent him an excited letter about being invited to Draco’s for the winter holidays.

Amara was practically giddy about the whole thing. She was finally going to meet Lucius Malfoy. She was going to be in his home, with his family, and his valuable things and information. It will all be within her grasp.

Because Amara wasn’t after Draco, she was after Lucius. In the end, when all is said and done, Draco Malfoy was going to be nothing but collateral damage.

♠ ♠ ♠

Image
This amazing banner was made by venture;;. I love it!

I finally got more than two comments on this chapter. Happy days! Thank you sleeping beauty, pelican park., blackenedrose, and venture;;.

So anyways, I hope you a liked this chapter. It was like 6 pages. So, leave a comment and let me know what you thought. It only takes like a minute to do so.