Sequel: Betrayal

Deception

I am Jane Hart

It felt like there was a large lump in Amara’s throat, preventing her from speaking. She was frozen in fear, shock, and anger. Such a mix of emotions she was feeling that she was afraid she was going to explode.

She knew she had to pull herself together, and soon.

“Hello, Sir,” Amara started, trying hard to keep her voice from shaking. Her palms felt sweaty and her tongue felt like it was swelling. “I’m Jane Hart.”

Mr. Malfoy seemed like he felt that introducing himself wasn’t necessary, but did anyways. “Lucius,”

“Pleased to meet you, Mr. Malfoy.” Though she wasn’t pleased at all. Next to her, Draco chucked at her formality.

Lucius raised a brow, looking somewhat amused. “Dinner should be ready.”

They soon all gathered at the large table sat down to eat. The first moments of the dinner were awkward and Amara couldn’t stop fidgeting in her seat. She was so uncomfortable and felt so exposed. She was trapped in this house.

“So, you’re Hart’s daughter.” It was not a question, and it was not a very friendly sounding statement.

Amara glanced up at Lucius. He was studying her face intently. “Yes,”

“You look nothing like him.” He said, raising his brows before taking another bite from his plate.

Amara bit the inside of her cheek. “I’m told I look like my mother.”

“Ah, yes, of course.” Lucius said, nodding his head. “I’m afraid I never met your mother.”

“She died when I was very young.” Amara said, bowing her head a bit, trying to look upset. It wasn’t hard, she was upset. She didn’t want to be here. She felt like Jonathan threw her to wolves.

The table remained silent for a while, everyone off in their own thoughts. Though Amara couldn’t help but notice Lucius staring at from time to time.

“I’ve met your father, a few times.” Narcissa spoke up, trying to get the conversation to start up again. “Actually knew him from back at Hogwarts, though he was quite a few years younger.”

“We had a mutual friend.” Lucius said now, bring Amara’s attention back on him. He was staring at her very intently now, making even Draco stare at them curiously.

Narcissa bit her lip and glanced down at her plate.

“Robert Kingston,” the name hung in the air. Amara tried not to flinch when she heard her fathers name. A sudden rage was boiling inside her. How dare the man speak her fathers name! She wanted to leap out of her chair and attack him. She could, too.

He may be skilled with his wand and magic, but she sure he couldn’t actually fight. It was one of the many things Amara earned from Jonathan. To fight the Muggle way.

“I believe you may know his daughters? They came to live with you, didn’t they?” Lucius asked.

Amara took in a deep breath to try and calm herself. “Yes, though I never met him.”

“It was devastating when I heard about his death.” Lucius said. If Amara had hated him before she hated him even more. How dare he act like he lost someone important to him. Her father had been nothing but a scapegoat to him.

“Yes, I suppose.” Amara said, cocking her head to the side. “My father was upset, yet he felt that Mr. Kingston deserved it, after all that he has done. The loss he felt was for a childhood friend.”

This seemed amusing to Lucius for some reason or another. “Sounds like something your father would say.”

Amara shifted her wait, and began to pick at her dinner with her fork. “He doesn’t like to dwell on the past though.”

“I’m surprised he took in Robert’s children.” Lucius sat back in his seat, clearly finished eating. “After all that had transpired.

“They had no one else.” Amara stated. She bit her tongue, in fear of saying something rude.

“You know,” Lucius said, a smirk appearing. “I was their God-Father.”

“They were happy with us.” Amara could hear the bitterness in her tone. Lucius apparently picked up at this because he looked slightly shocked.

“What were they like?” he asked.

“Broken,” Amara didn’t want to try to understand why Lucius wanted to know this. “Hurt, afraid. They had nothing else. When they lost their father it destroyed them. Apparently they were both very close to their father. No children so young should have to lose a parent.”

“One killed herself, didn’t she?” Lucius asked. He looked really uncomfortable now. Amara almost wanted to rejoice at this and probably would have if it wasn’t such a personal comment.

“Yes, the pain was too much to bare.” Amara could guess what his next question was. “The other one refused to eat, got sick, and eventually died. Grief will do that to someone.”

“Okay,” Narcissa looked upset, and shot her husband a look. “That’s enough for tonight.”

Amara felt thankful that this was over. It was always hard reminiscing, especially when it involved her sister.

“You look like him,” everyone at the table froze. Narcissa let out a defeated sigh, and slumped in her seat. Draco, who had gotten up from the table looked at his father with confusion. But Amara, she felt like her heart was beating a thousand miles per minute. “Robert. You look just like him.”

Amara wasn’t sure what to say. She knew this was going to happen. The man had been her fathers best friend since they were both eleven. Amara had to be quick on her toes. “My father told me that before. But he said my father looked like she could have been Mr. Kingston’s sister that they looked so much alike.”

Lucius was still staring, as if not wanting to or not believing her story.

“His daughters, looked like their mother though. Just like her. My father joked that they were the spitting image of her.” Amara chuckled nervously, then shrugged.

“Really?” Lucius looked like a cat that had just caught the mouse. “Because they looked like him when they were babies.”

Amara wanted to cringe. He had met them when they were babies? Instead, she shrugged. “Well, not when they got older.”

“Come on,” Draco said, tugging Amara’s arm.

“Yes, dinner is over.” Narcissa said, noting that her son was obviously uncomfortable. “You two, run along. I must speak to your father privately.”

Lucius sighed, dreading the scolding he was most likely to receive.

Amara jumped from her seat so quickly that she felt light headed. She grabbed onto Draco’s hand and allowed him to lead her away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image



Many thanks to pelican park. for the stunning banner!

Today is my birthday! Yay! So leave a comment, make a banner, do whatever!

Thank you: blackenedrose, pelican park., MyBlackDahlia, chidorifool101, kailixx, and iLOVEbritishaccents.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter.