Sequel: Betrayal

Deception

A Photo

“What was that about?”

Amara glanced up from staring intently at her hands, willing them to stop shaking from nerves. She sat at the edge of her bed as Draco paced back and forth, brows furrowed and an annoyed expression on his face.

“What was what about?” Hopefully acting oblivious to the whole thing will help her not to actually answer his question.

He stopped pacing and glared at her. “You and my father.”

“Oh,” Amara shifted in her seat. She shrugged and tried to look innocent. “We were talking. You can’t tell me you’ve never talked to someone before. Look here, we’re taking right now!”

“Oh, shut up!” He snapped. His pale face was starting to turn red with anger. “That was no ordinary conversation! There was so much tension that I thought I was going to suffocate!”

“Honestly, Draco, I think you’re making things up.”

She thought he’d scream and rip out his hair at this point. But to his credit, he didn’t. His face got redder, and he gave her an ugly look. He was beyond angry and annoyed at this point. He clenched his fist and then left the room, slamming the door on his way out.

Amara sat quietly by herself. She was feeling a bit ashamed, but more so amused. It was easy to get under Draco’s skin. Sadly, that’s not what she was supposed to be doing. She stood up and headed for her bedroom door.

She had to smooth things over with Draco before he kicked her out - even if she wanted nothing more than to leave his dreadful home.

She peeked her head out the door and glanced down both directions. The house was large and she felt like if she wasn’t careful she could get lost. The idea of that was scary enough for her to make her want to cry. The last thing she wanted was to be lost in the Malfoy Manor.

Timidly she stepped out of her room and began her journey to find the fuming Malfoy. Of course she checked his room first, but he wasn’t there, much to her disappointment. She was hoping she wouldn’t have to go wandering around.

She walked slowly down the halls, taking her time to make sure she knew exactly where she was going. Sure, the tour Draco had given her earlier had helped and she was sure she knew her way around, but waking alone in the dark hallways was quite daunting.

A light shone into the hallway about a yard away and Amara froze where she stood. She had stumbled upon Mr. Malfoy’s study, and he was certainly in there. The possibility that Draco was in there as well didn’t escape her. And if that was the case, she was certain she didn’t want to peek her nose in and see what the two were doing.

For Merlin’s sake! She didn’t want to peek in anyways.

She took in a deep breath and decided that she’d rush past his study without him knowing it. It seemed like it would work. The door leading to his study was only slightly ajar.

Taking a deep breath Amara sprinted across the hallway and past his door.

“Miss Hart, do come in.”

Amara cringed, coming to a halt. The man must have super-hearing, Amara thought bitterly.

She debated on just walking away, pretending she hadn’t heard him, or perhaps make him believe he was going crazy while she pretended she was never there.

In the end, though, she walked to his study and pushed the door open, but didn’t fully walk into the room. “Yes, Sir?”

“Come in,” Lucius said, and gestured towards a chair near his desk. “Sit, please.”

Amara bit her bottom lip and walked into the room and towards the chair. She sat down, her eyes darting around nervously. If she didn’t get a hold of herself soon, then she would surly look guilty.

She took a deep breath and looked at Mr. Malfoy. “Yes?”

He gestured to a box on his desk and gave Amara a smug look. “I just happened to be looking at old photos.”

Just happened - her owls butt.

“Oh?” Amara tried to play it off as if she really could care less. When in reality her nerves were going into overdrive.

“Look,” Lucius said, handing sliding a photo across the desk, towards her. “Do you recognize him?”

Amara grabbed the photo and peered down at it. She felt her heart break. Her father and mother smiled back at her in the photo. They looked so much younger than Amara remembered them to be.

Her father had that crooked smile on his face. The smile she loved so much. Her mother had that timid smile, the one were just the corners of her lips were lifted. In her hands she held, what Amara guessed to be, Mia - Amara, after all, had been quite a fat baby. Her father held herself.

Standing next to them were Lucius and Narcissa, both looking smug. Draco slept peacefully in Narcissa’s arms.

Amara couldn’t help but smile at the picture. Her parents looked so happy.

“You remind me of him.” Lucius suddenly said. “You do recognize them, don’t you?”

Amara glanced up from the photo. Should she tell Lucius? Did he regret what happened? Was he hoping to wrong the right?

“No,” Amara said, raising her brow.

Lucius seemed somewhat shocked at her answer and furrowed his brows. “No? You’re smile, it’s his smile!”

Amara let her smile fall and looked at him curiously. “Oh?” She glanced back down at the photo and cocked her head to the side as if she were really studying it. “I don’t see it.”

“Then why were you smiling?” Lucius asked, trying to keep his frustration in check.

Amara shifted in her seat and glanced down at the photo, scanning it one more time. “Because of Draco. I’d never believe that he could possibly be so peaceful looking.”

Lucius tried not to frown at this, but failed miserably. “Yes, yes. But you do look a lot like Robert.”

“Like I said, Mr. Malfoy, I look like my mother.” Amara said, she could feel herself starting to grow angry. “My father said that my mother and Mr. Kingston looked a lot alike. But after seeing this photo of him and seeing the photos of my mother I have to disagree.”

Lucius sat there silently. “You can’t deny that you look like him, though. Practically the spitting image!”

“May I ask why this matters so much?” Amara asked, narrowing her eyes.

“It doesn’t!” He exclaimed, furrowing his brows.

“Then why are you pushing this so hard?” Amara dug her nails into the palms of her hands to keep herself from strangling him.

“I’m not!”

Amara stood up abruptly and glared at the frustrated man. “Then perhaps, Mr. Malfoy, you are looking for something that is simply not there! You can’t right the wrongs from your past - no matter how awful they may be. So, stop badgering me about this, because you wont find any of the answers you’re looking for here. And, quite frankly, I wouldn’t tell you any even if I could!”

With that Amara turned from Lucius and stomped out of his office.


♠ ♠ ♠

So, I honestly have no excuse on why this took so long. I knew what was going to happen and what I was going to write. Still, this chapter was a pain to right.

Hope you enjoyed it though. :)

LoveChange, pelican park., chidorifool101, MyBlackDahlia,sleeping beauty, and blackenedrose for all being amazing and leaving a comment!