Sequel: Betrayal

Deception

Christmas

The following days had become awkward for Amara and the Malfoy family. Lucius did not bring up their conversation again, having seemingly taken her word for it. Though, at times, she caught him staring at him. Amara knew that as long as she didn’t give him any reason to believe that she was the missing Kingston then he wouldn’t bring it up.

Christmas morning dawned bright and chilly. Amara buried herself under her covers and refused to come out. She hated mornings - cold ones even more so.

The sound of her bedroom door opening awoke her almost instantly. She stilled where she laid and listened intently as someone padded across her room and towards her bed. Her heart was raising and she was ready to spring into action if needed.

“Wake up.” Draco’s grumpy and tired voice commanded before giving her a rough shake.

Amara groaned and rolled away from him. “No.”

“Come on, it’s Christmas.” He told her.

“So?” Amara replied squeezing her eyes tightly.

“So?” She could here the shock in Malfoy’s voice. “So, so it’s Christmas!”

Amara popped her head out from underneath the covers. “Again, so?”

“Don’t you, you know, celebrate Christmas?” Draco asked her, looking at her as if he wasn’t quite sure if he should believe what he was hearing.

“Not since I was little.” Amara answered truthfully and sat up in her bed. She ran her fingers through her tangled hair in hopes to look at least decent. “I guess I assumed that since your family is so…so…well, you know. I guess I just thought you didn’t celebrate it either.”

Draco raised a brow. “Are you serious?”

“Well, yeah, you’re all so…moody, I guess I thought you were incapable of celebrating anything other than someone's failure.”

“Not that,” Malfoy closed his eyes tightly, obviously trying to keep his anger in check. “That you haven’t had a Christmas since you were little?”

“Oh,” Amara cocked her head to the side and shrugged. “Yeah. Ever since…well, I was about five or so.”

“Why?” Draco asked.

Amara couldn’t tell him the truth. That the last Christmas she had was after Jonathan had taken them in. He had tried so hard to give them a proper Christmas. It had been their first Christmas without their parents. It was hard. After seeing had miserable Amara and Mia had been, Jonathan never celebrated Christmas again.

“I don’t know.” Amara shrugged. “My father and I feel like presents are useless. Plus, he’s never home for Christmas anyways.”

“Well, since you think presents are useless then I guess you don’t want the present I got you.” Draco said, giving her a sly look.

“I do!” Amara jumped up and grabbed his arm before she could stop herself. “I want it!”

Malfoy shook his head, a grin on his face as he pulled away from her. He stood up and crossed his arms and stared down at her. “I don’t know. I don’t think you really do.”

“I do too!” Amara cried, jumping out of her bed and lunging for him. They both crashed to the ground and Amara laughed. “Get me my present!”

Draco chuckled before getting up and leaving the room to grab her present. Amara sat on the floor waiting as patiently as she could. Then the realization that she had nothing for Draco hit her.

She jumped off the ground and glanced around the room trying to think of something. But nothing came to her. What In the world could she get Draco that he didn’t already have?

She contemplated taking some of the candles that were decorated around the guest bedroom and giving it to him. The Malfoy’s would never notice a couple of candles missing. She doubted that they actually used half of the rooms in their house anyways.

Amara frowned and sank back down to the floor and crossed her legs. What boy would honestly want a candle for Christmas?

Draco returned to her room, a small box in hand. Amara eyed the tiny box as he walked towards her.

“Here you go,” Draco said as he sat down on the floor next to her and handed her Christmas present.

Amara sighed. “I don’t have a present for you.”

For some reason Draco seemed rather shocked by this. As if he assumed that even though people who don’t do Christmas should get him presents.

“Okay,” he said, giving her a weary look. “That’s fine…”

Amara could tell that it wasn’t fine. She wanted so desperately to smack Draco for being so self-absorbed. But then again, she really probably should have gotten him something.

“Open it,” Draco told her, nodding at the nicely wrapped box in her hands.

Amara bit her lip and slowly opened it. Inside were a pair of black, leather gloves. Amara pulled them out of the box and held them with care. She could tell that they were probably rather expensive gloves.

“Thank you,” Amara said, and gave Draco a timid smile. Inside she was really giddy with excitement. To most, gloves would seem like such a silly, inexpensive gift. But to Amara, it was sweet. This was the first Christmas present she had received in about ten years.

She leaned in and gave him a soft kiss on the lips. He would never know how much she appreciated his gift.

It would be nice to say that the rest of the day went much like the morning had. Sadly, it didn’t. Sure, they had a wonderful Christmas breakfast and an amazing Christmas dinner. But Mr. and Mrs. Malfoy seemed slightly appalled that Amara hadn’t bought their son a present.

As if it was expected and required that everyone lavish their only child with presents.

And for some reason, they were offended that Amara hadn’t given them one either. Though, Amara couldn’t quite wrap her head around that one, seeing as they hadn’t given her gift.

But all in all it wasn’t a terrible Christmas.

Though at night, when the rest of the household was tucked away in bed, Amara stood staring out her bedroom window. With er blanket wrapped tightly around her, she cried quietly to herself. Just imagining what could have been if her family hadn’t been taken away from her.

♠ ♠ ♠

I'm sorry it took so long to write this chapter. It's not necessarily writers block...just a lack of motivation to actually write. But you all deserve an update so I pushed on and wrote this.

Thanks goes to: LoveChange, chidorifool101, MyBlackDahlia, pelican park., blackenedrose, noski, and foREVer Jimmy.

I love the long comments, you guys! I enjoy reading what you liked about the chapter or story. It let's me know if doing okay and what you like so I know what to put and what not to put in my story. So thanks!