Sequel: Betrayal

Deception

His Fault

It was cool outside, but Amara didn’t care as she plopped down onto the wet grass. She just wanted to be left alone with her thoughts. Last night’s run-in with Malfoy had scared her. What if they hadn’t gotten away in time? Her cover would have been exposed and everything would have been jeopardized.

Jonathan would not have been pleased.

The soft sound of footsteps drawing closer snapped Amara back to reality. She glanced up to see Gabby coming to a stop in front of her.

“Why aren’t you at breakfast?” The curly haired girl asked. Her thin brows furrowed in confusion and concern. “What are you doing out here in the cold?”

Things were still tense between the two. Amara knew that Gabby didn’t fully trust her – and probably never would again – but at least it was a step in the right direction. Not that Amara really cared.

“How did you know I was out here?” Amara asked, deciding to avoid Gabby’s questions.

“I saw you leave,” Gabby replied. The younger girl let out a sigh before plopping down on the grass next to Amara. “I see you joined The Inquisitorial Squad.”

The tone in her voice told Amara that Gabby was not pleased and was suspicious of Amara's motives.

Amara shrugged and tucked a dark strand of her hair behind her ear. She fingered the silver I on her school robe. “I figured that I can throw them off about the D.A. meetings. It’s best to have a friend on the inside. Plus, Malfoy insisted.”

“So you’re not going to snitch, right?” Gabby asked, eyeing Amara wearily. When Amara shook her head Gabby immediately relaxed. “Last night was quite frightening, wasn’t it?”

Amara nodded her head and avoided Gabby’s gaze. “You’ll teach me still, won’t you? The things you learn in D.A.?”

The pair sat in silence as Gabby thought over this request. Amara knew that the girl was conflicted. Did she trust Amara enough yet? Was it all some kind of nasty trick?

Gabby let out a long sigh. “I suppose I can.”

Amara nodded her head in thanks before the two fell back into an awkward silence. Amara gladly accepted this though, for she found it better than trying to find things to talk about. But both girls were pulled from their silence by Malfoy’s sudden arrival.

“Hello,” Amara greeted, staring up Draco’s confused face.

He glanced briefly at Gabby before his gaze fell back on Amara. If he had recognized Gabby from last night it didn’t show.

“What are you doing out here, Hart?” He asked.

“I just needed some fresh air before classes begin.” Amara answered. Malfoy seemed to ponder over this before shrugging and plopping down on the grass next to Amara, shocking both girls.

They made idle chit-chat. Draco always found a way to cut off Gabby when she was mid-sentence and usually left her out of the conversation altogether. Whenever she tried to speak to him directly he’d look at her like she was an annoying fly.

It wasn’t long before Fran came running towards them, waving The Daily Prophet in her hand wildly. Nicole followed behind at much normal pace, not looking quite as excited as Fran was.

“Have you read the paper today?” Fran called out to them stumbling about the rest of the way. She was out of breath when she finally reached them and gasped for air between words. “Someone died in Azkaban last night.”

“Really?” Gabby asked, sitting up straighter, her curiosity peeking.

“Yes,” Fran said, flopping down on the grass between Draco and Amara, much to Malfoy’s annoyance. “Apparently Maria Kingston has passed away.”

Amara stilled. Her heart felt like it was racing, her stomach turned, and tears threatened to burst out of her at any moment. Her mind was blank and she couldn’t bring herself to act like the name meant nothing for her.

“Wasn’t she that crazy one?” Gabby asked, raising a brow in curiosity.

“Good riddance, I say.” Malfoy spat out. “Father says they were a worthless family anyways.”

Amara gave Malfoy a sharp look. She wanted to gouge his eyes out.

“The last remaining Kingston is gone.” Fran muttered, cocking her head to the side. She pursed her lips and furrowed her brows. “It’s sad if you think about it. Another family wiped out of the wizardry world. It’s quite tragic.”

“They were Dark Wizards.” Gabby bluntly stated. “It’s best they are gone.”

“A family full of cowards it’s what I’ve heard.” Draco added in with Gabby nodding her head. “Mental, the whole lot of them. Their own daughter jumped out the window and the other one poisoned herself from what I heard.”

“The Kingston family has died out.” Nicole muttered from where she stood. Her brown eyes looked sad as she glanced down at the paper Fran was still holding. “That family never stood a chance.”

“My father says-“

“No one cares what your father says, Malfoy!” Amara snapped, causing everyone to stare at her. Amara laughed nervously and took the paper from Fran. “I mean, whatever he says can’t possibly be true, can it?”

“He knew them,” Draco said as everyone’s attention went back to him. “So he obviously knows more than you do, Hart.”

“Didn’t the girls live with you?” Fran asked Amara. “I mean, you sort of knew them too, right Jane?”

“Not really.” Amara muttered. “I never got the chance to know who Mia was, or Amara. I don’t think they’d ever be able to become the people they were meant to be.”

It pained Amara to say this, the words ringing true. Mia would never grow up. She would never have a chance to be happy. And Amara herself, would never get to live the life she was meant to.

“Deep,” Gabby muttered with a roll of her eyes.

Malfoy scoffed at Amara’s comment as the bell rang loudly overhead. “That family was a disgrace. We’re all better off with them gone. Just look at that woman in the picture. She’s absolutely hideous.”

The small group of friends stood up while Amara remained sitting in the grass, the newspaper clutched tightly in her hand.

“Aren’t you coming?” Gabby asked, noticing that Amara hadn’t moved.

“I’ll be there in a second.” Amara muttered.

Draco gave her a confused look but shrugged it off before leading the group back inside.

Amara glanced down at the paper. There was her mother’s grimy face, her dirty hair wild. Her eyes looked sad, her face worn and tired. This was not Amara’s mother. This was not the mother she wanted to remember.


Image




The faint sound of fireworks bursting could be heard down in the dungeons.

Earlier the infamous Weasley twins had set off fireworks, among other things. The students loved it. Professor Umbridge, however, did not.

Amara would have found it amusing if she hadn’t been in such a dark place. Her emotions were trapped inside; she wasn’t given the option to grieve. She had to hide it deep, deep down. Just like everything else.

She was angry with Jonathan. Why hadn’t he told her about her mother’s passing? Even now, with a whole days passing, he had yet to send an owl with the news.

But it didn't matter. She couldn't dwell on it at the moment. She had business to take care of.

It was dark in the corridor; perfect for hiding.

Parkinson had made her way back upstairs, while Malfoy remained down below. It was nearing the end of their Prefect duties for the night. Malfoy would be tired, presenting the perfect opportunity.

Amara stepped out of the shadows, making sure her right foot dragged against the floor.

Malfoy jumped in fright and turned around. “Parkinson?”

“No,” Amara answered, not bothering to hide her voice. Malfoy squinted, as if trying to see if he could tell who this person was. But he would never be able to know it was her. Wearing only black, and a ridiculous Muggle mask, her identity was well hidden.

“You’re out past hours.” Malfoy snapped, his voice taking on an authoritative tone.

Expeliarmus!”

Malfoy’s wand flew from his hand. The blond stepped back in shock, but he quickly recovered himself. He narrowed his eyes and pointed an accusing finger. “What do you think you’re doing?”

Amara only walked closer to him and stopped when they were only a few feet apart. She held out her wand before tossing it to her left. “Don’t worry; we’ll make this a fair fight.”

Malfoy took another step back, his eyes still set in a glare. But he was unsure and that small vulnerability was all it took to make him nervous and for the adrenaline to kick in. “What are you bloody doing?”

Amara didn’t answer, instead, she struck. A sense of gratification overcame Amara as her fist connected with Malfoy’s jaw. Draco stumbled back, his blue eyes wide in surprise.

“Are you mental? What the bloody hell was that for?” He screamed. His pale face started turning red with anger and embarrassment.

Amara struck again, this time Malfoy barely stepping out of the way.

Their eyes connected briefly before Malfoy dove for his wand. But Amara was quicker, and stepped on his hand when he reached for it. He cried out in pain and drew his hand back.

Now he was angry, but Amara didn’t care. She kicked his wand away so it was out of reach once more. “I said I’d play fair. That means you have to as well.”

Malfoy was angry now and charged at her. The pair fell to the ground; Amara’s back hitting the stone floor hard. She cringed before pushing Malfoy off of her.

He scrambled up and made a dash to get away. Amara charged after him, taking a chance and leaping. They fell to the ground once more, but this time Malfoy took the most of the impact of the fall.

Amara did not hold back. Her fists flew and blind anger consumed her. She no longer knew what she was doing. Just that she was hurt and she wanted someone to pay.

Malfoy covered his face with his arms, but that didn’t stop Amara. She clawed and punched and probably would have continued if she hadn't snapped back to herself when Malfoy cried out in pain.

She could feel the tears falling down her face. She wanted so badly to wipe them away, but she’d have to take off her mask to do so. And that was not going to happen.

“Your father is a bastard,” Amara snapped, her words dripping with venom. She rolled off Malfoy and sat there, watching him groan in pain. “This is all his fault.”

Part of her felt bad for Draco as he laid on the ground in pain. She looked away, not wanting to feel ashamed for what she did.

“Looks like we both have to pay for your fathers mistakes.” She mumbled, but she knew he could hear her. “But I find that I’ve suffered more.”

She pushed herself off the ground and stood, staring down at Malfoy. He cringed, awaiting another blow. But none came and he was forced to look up at his attacker.

“Tell your father it began with him and it will end with him.” Amara stated, her voice cold and her stare blazing with anger.

She walked away, her footsteps light. She wanted to wipe away her tears; she wanted to not feel this way. She grabbed her wand from the ground and looked back at Malfoy who had managed to sit up. She knew he’d be in the Hospital Wing tonight. Maybe Parkinson would help him get there.

Amara had no regrets. Or at least, that’s what she kept telling herself.

♠ ♠ ♠
I am very sorry that this took me so long to update! But it's long, so hopefully that makes up for me not updating sooner.

Are any of you in search of a great original story that will have you giggling? If so, you really need to check out How to Be a Superhero. It's an amazing story, and personally one of my favorites.

Thank you everyone for leaving a comment! I appreciate it!