Sequel: Betrayal

Deception

A Weapon

Amara sighed to herself, loosening her grip on the weird girl she was holding onto. She was pretty sure if Potter’s friend wanted to escape right about now, she probably could. Amara hardly hanging onto her at this point, nor was Amara really paying attention.

What she really wanted to know was what was taking Draco so long and how much longer she’d have to stay in Umbridge’s office and listen to her annoying plates with cats on them meowing every other minute.

Just when Amara was contemplating accidently knowing down one of the plates from the wall, Malfoy returned with Professor Snape following right behind.

Amara stood up straighter and tightened her grip on the blond she was holding onto.

“You wanted to see me, Headmistress?” said Snape, looking around the office at every student that currently stood in there. When his eyes landed on Amara she shifted uncomfortably. Professor Snape always slightly frightened her.

“Ah, Professor Snape,” Umbridge said, her smile making Amara’s skin crawl. “Yes, I would like another bottle of Veritaserum as quick as you can, please.”

“You took my last bottle to interrogate Potter,” Snape replied coolly, his dark eyes staring her down. Surely you did not use it all? I told you that three drops would be sufficient.”

Umbridge’s face turned a bright red with embarrassment. It took every last strength in Amara not to laugh at Umbridge’s obvious discomfort for being called out like that.

“You can make some more, can’t you?” Umbridge asked, a sickly sweet tone in her voice, as if that would make anyone want to do anything for her.

“Certainly,” Snape answered with a curl of his lip. Umbridge seemed to perk up at these words. But her hopes where quickly crushed as soon as Snape continued. “It takes a full moon cycle to mature, so I should have it ready for you in a round a month.”

“A month?” Umbridge squawked, “A month? But I need it this evening, Snape! I have just found Potter using my fire to communicate with a person or persons unknown!”

“Really?” Snape said, finally showing interest in the conversation, his eyes narrowing in on Potter.

There was more complaining from Umbridge, who looked more like a toad every second. Professor Snape continued to tell her the same thing, which she would have to wait, until finally Umbridge snapped.

“You are on probation!” Umbridge shrieked at Professor Snape, who simply raised his brows. “You are being deliberately unhelpful! I expected better, Lucius Malfoy always speaks most highly of you! Now get out of my office!”

Snape gave her an ironic bow, which Amara was unable to stop herself from chuckling. She was quick though and covered it up with a cough.

“He’s got Padfoot!” Harry suddenly burst out, causing everyone in the room to freeze and for all eyes to bear down on him. “He’s got Padfoot at the place where it’s hidden!”

Amara glanced from Harry to her Professor, completely confused.

“Padfoot?” Umbridge cried out, looking from Snape to Potter. “What is Padfoot? Where what is hidden? What does he mean, Snape?”

Snape looked at Harry, his face unreadable.

The room was quest for a moment; it seemed everyone was holding their breath, waiting for Snape’s answer.

“I have no idea,” Snape finally replied. “Potter, when I want nonsense shouted at me I shall give you a Babbling Beverage. And Crabbe loosen your hold a little, if Longbottom suffocates it will mean a lot of tedious paperwork, and I am afraid I shall have to mention it on your reference if ever you apply for a job.

And with that Snape left the room.

“Very well," Umbridge said, pulling her wand out. “I am left with no alternative. . . This is more than a matter of school discipline. . . This is an issue of Ministry security. . .”

Everyone stared at Umbridge as she started to mumble to herself and Amara was sure that there Headmistress had completely lost it.

“You are forcing me, Potter. . . I do not want to,” Umbridge continued moving her weight from one foot to the other, “but sometimes circumstances justify the use. . . I am sure the Minister will understand that I had no choice. . .”

Malfoy was staring at Umbridge as if this was the best thing he was hearing and he couldn’t wait to hear what exactly she was going to do. Amara was filled up with dread, however as an uneasy feeling overcame her.

“The Cruciatus Curse ought to loosen your tongue,” Umbridge said quietly.

Amara took a step back without realizing it, dragging her captive with her. Amara did not want to see this. She did not want to be here. Umbridge was a bully before, but this was just wrong. Amara was unsure what she should do. Should she try and save Potter? Perhaps, hit Umbridge with a jinx.

No, Jonathan would never forgive her if she did that. She would blow everything.

“No!” Granger shrieked loudly. “Professor Umbridge - it’s illegal!”

But Umbridge paid no mind to Granger’s words. A look of excitement and eagerness was on Umbridge’s face and Amara knew nothing would stop her from doing what she wanted.

“The Minister wouldn’t want you to break the law, Professor Umbridge!” Granger tried once more.

“What Cornelius doesn’t know won’t hurt him,” Umbridge replied as she raised her wand and pointed it at Potter. “He never knew I ordered dementors after Potter last summer, but he was delighted to be given the chance to expel him, all the same. . .”

“It was you?” Potter gasped. “You sent the dementors after me?”

“Somebody had to act,” Umbridge breathed out, as if excited to see Potter so distraught. She aimed her wand directly at Potters forehead. “. . . only you wiggled out of that one, didn’t you, Potter? Not today, though, not now. . .” taking a deep breath, she cried out “Cruc-“

“No!” Hermione shouted her voice cracking. “No – Harry – Harry, we’ll have to tell her!”

“No way!” Harry yelled back at Hermione.

“We’ll have to, Harry, she’ll force it out of you anyway, what’s . . . what’s the point . . .?” The Granger began to cry, causing Millicent’s upper lip to curl with disgust before pushing Granger away.

“Well, well, well!” Umbridge said, looking so triumphant. “Little Miss Question-All is going to give us some answers! Come on then, girl, come on!”

Ron Weasley tried to tell Granger no, but his voice was muffled through his gag.

“I’m – I’m sorry everyone,” Hermione cried into her hands. “But – I can’t stand it –“

“That’s right, that’s right, girl!” Umbridge squealed happily, grabbing Granger by the shoulder and pushing her into an empty chair. “Now then . . . with whom was Potter communicating just now?”

“Well, well, he was trying to speak to Professor Dumbledore . . .”

“Dumbledore!” Umbridge cried out eagerly. “You know where Dumbledore is, then?”

“Well. . . no!” Granger sobbed. “We’ve tried the Leaky Cauldron in Diagon Alley and the Three Broomsticks and even the Hog’s Head –“

“Idiot girl, Dumbledore won’t be sitting in a pub when the whole Ministry’s looking for him!” Umbridge shouted, the disappointment evident in her voice.

“But – but we need to tell him something important!” Hermione wailed out.

“Yes?” Umbridge asked, her excitement suddenly returning. “What was it that you wanted to tell him?”

“We . . . We wanted to tell him that it’s ready!” Granger choked out. Amara had to admit, she was just as curious as everyone else about what Granger was talking about.

“What’s ready?” Umbridge asked, growing impatient now. She grabbed Granger’s shoulders and shook her. “What’s ready, girl?”

“The . . . the weapon,” Hermione answered.

It was odd though, for things were not adding up. When Amara was hiding away in the cabinet, there was no talk of a weapon. Amara glanced at the others in the room, wondering whether anyone knew exactly what was going on. But she was only met with confused expressions.
“Weapon? Weapon?“ Umbridge’s eye grew so wide that Amara was afraid they’d pop out, or that Umbridge would explode. “You have been developing some method of resistance? A weapon you could use against the Ministry? On Professor Dumbledore’s orders, of course?”

“Y-y-yes.” Granger sputtered out. “But he had to leave before it was finished and now we’ve finished it for him, and can’t find him to tell him!”

“What kind of weapon is it?” said Umbridge harshly, her hand still gripping tightly into Hermione’s shoulders.

“We don’t r-r-eally understand it,” Granger said, sniffling loudly. ”We j-j-ust did what P-P-Professor Dumbledore told us t-t-to do. . .”

Umbridge stood up, looking satisfied. “Lead me to the weapon,” she said.

“I’m not showing. . . them,” Granger said in a shrilly voice giving Malfoy and all the Slytherins in the room. Amara felt strangely guilty, though she hadn’t done anything.

“It’s not for you to set conditions,” Professor Umbridge said in a harsh tone.

“Fine,” Granger said and began to cry into her hands once more. “Fine . . . let them see it, I hope they use it on you! In fact, I wish you’d invite loads and loads of people to come and see! Th-that would serve you right – oh, I’d love it if the wh-whole school knew where it was, and how to u-use it, and then if you annoy any of them they’ll be able to s-sort you out!”

Amara perked up at these words. A way to put Umbridge in her place, it sounded absolutely delightful. But Amara was quick, unlike Malfoy, to hide the eagerness that overcame her when Umbridge began to look suspiciously around the room.

Amara bit her lip and glanced at Granger closely. Such a powerful weapon was in their hands and they had yet to use it on Umbridge – especially Potter, for it was quite evident he hated the woman – something was simply not adding up.

That was when Amara realized that despite being so distraught, Granger wasn’t actually crying. Actually her face was dry from tears, or at least from what she could tell, for Granger had buried her face in her hands.

There was no weapon, was there? It was lie, it must be.

Amara felt her earlier excitement deflate as she realized this. There would be no putting Umbridge in her place this evening.

Umbridge cut Amara’s thoughts as a small smile appeared on her face. She tried to sound sweet, as if she were a sweet mother talking to her child she simply adored. Except that it sounded nothing like that at all. To Amara, Umbridge sounded too forced and quite frightening. “All right, dear, let’s make it just you and me . . . and we’ll take Potter too, shall we? Get up, now –“

“Professor,” Malfoy said, causing Amara to scowl. “Professor Umbridge, I think some of the squad should come with you to look after –“

“I am a fully qualified Ministry official, Malfoy, do you really think I cannot manage two wandless teenagers alone?” Umbridge asked, glaring at Draco. “In any case, it does not sound as though this weapon is something that schoolchildren should see. You will remain here until I return and make sure none of the –“ she said, waving her hand at the captives “escape.”

“All right,” Malfoy said, looking quite disappointed.

Umbridge turned her attention back to the matter at hand and gestured towards Potter and Granger. “And you two can go ahead of me and show me the way, lead on . . .”

The door clicked shut and all was quiet in the room, aside from the Weasley siblings trying to nudge their way free.

Malfoy turned his gaze on Amara, a cowl on his face. Amara frowned in return, why did Umbridge have to go and make him grumpy, now he was going to take his anger out on everyone else.

“Hart, hold onto Lovegood,” Draco snapped. “Are you trying to let her go free?”

Amara glanced at Luna Lovegood, suddenly remembering that she was in D.A. with everyone else. Well that made better sense on why a Ravenclaw was spending time with Gryffindors.

Amara pulled Luna closer and held onto her arms tighter. Not that it seemed to help any, for Lovegood did not seem care, no notice, at all.

That was when all hell broke loose. Suddenly spells and jinxes were flying.

On instinct Amara dropped to the ground, dragging Lovegood with her.

“Sorry,” Amara mumbled as Luna smacked onto the ground hard. Luna nodded in acknowledgment and rubbed her elbow.

Malfoy suddenly cried out and Amara couldn’t help but giggle as he ran screaming from the room.

Amara glanced around the room as the Slytherin’s raced for the door in retreat.

“Come on,” Amara said helping Luna off the floor.

Three wands were pointed straight at Amara’s head, and Amara couldn’t help bit yelp in surprise.

“Go, I’m not going to try and stop you guys.” Amara said raising her hands in the air in surrender. “Honestly, I have better things to do than to try and stop you four from leaving. Besides, I’m sure Potter and Granger need help, sooner than later.”

Ginny looked at Amara with a weary look and slowly lowered her wand. “You’re friends with Fran and Gabby, aren’t you?”

Amara nodded her head. “Yes, but again, you are wasting time worrying over me when you should be worried about Crazy Toad Lady.”

Ron nodded his head in agreement and Longbottom grabbed Luna’s hand, pulling her towards the rest of the group.

“Not all Slytherin’s are bad,” Luna said, a distant look on her face as she gave Amara a small smile. “At least, you aren’t.”

“Will you just go!” Amara shouted at them. That seemed to kick the group in gear and they made a dash out the door.

Amara couldn’t hide the smirk on her face as she walked towards the door. With a flick of her wand, a row of meowing cat plates crashed to the ground.

She had a letter to write.
♠ ♠ ♠
A lot of this chapter is from the book, as you can tell.
I really miss Harry Potter right now.

Comments are appreciated!