Sequel: Betrayal

Deception

Easy to Flirt

Two little girls stood side by side, both wearing the same sour looks on their identical faces. The girls were so much alike, in both appearance and personality that the only way to tell them apart was by their hair.

Mia’s was cut short, barely brushing her shoulders and always wore a pretty ribbon in it.

The other girls hair was long and wavy, and for the most part, messy. Her name was Amara.

“I don’t want to go,” Mia whispered, grabbing her twins hand and squeezing it tightly. Mia’s brown eyes were red and puffy, her cheeks tear-stained and pale. She was tired, not having slept that night and her clothes were wrinkled. Her twin looking much the same. “I don’t even know Uncle Jonathan.”

Amara fidgeted, as she watched Jonathan and a few other adults that were part of the ministry speak to one another animatedly.

She wasn’t so sure about their Uncle Jonathan, either. They had only met him a handful of times; mainly during holidays. He wasn’t even really their Uncle either, just friends with the girls father.

“I’m their Godfather,” Jonathan Hart’s raised voice drifted over to the girls. “I can take them away from
this and put them in a safe and loving home. I have a daughter of my own, you know that.”

“You haven’t seen these girls in years, Mr. Hart, you have no idea what their parents have drilled into their heads. It’s best if we put them away in an orphanage, far from here.” A man said, standing a whole head shorter than Jonathan.

Amara felt a nudge from Mia as the five year old leaned towards her sister and whispered in her ear. “But we saw Uncle Jonathan a month ago.”

“Shh.” Amara hissed back, though she was curious about this as well.

Jonathan’s jaw clenched and his hands balled into fists. “Bagnold, these girls need someone in their lives that they can look up too. Locking them away in some orphanage is not going to do that. Please, let them live with me. Their lives have been torn and flipped upside down enough as it is.”

A tall, slender woman sighed, running a hand through her dark hair as she pondered this over. “Fine, Mr. Hart. But if they are acting…unusual, please do let us know so we can take care of it.”

“They’re just kids.” Mr. Hart said, through clenched teeth. “Just two little girls who just lost their parents. What damage can they possibly do?”

“I hope you’re right, Mr. Hart.” The woman said, raising a brow. “I really do.”

With that the woman turned on her heel and strode away. With a loud crack in the cool night air, she vanished.

Mr. Hart sighed before turning towards the twins, a small smile growing on his face. “Come on girls, let’s go home.”

“No!” Mia cried, her eyes getting watery. She clung onto her sisters arm tightly. The girls stepped away as Jonathan stepped forward. “I want my mommy! I want Father! Bring them back now.”

Jonathan stopped short, the smile vanishing. “I can’t bring them here.”

“Then take us to them!” Mia cried, finally breaking into tears.

Jonathan glanced between the girls. One in tears and the other one staring at him with a grim look on her face.

“Good luck, Mr. Hart.” The man who had spoken earlier said. “You’re going to need it.”

“Thank you, Devon.” Jonathan growled out, without turning around to face him. A small humph of annoyance escaped the mans lips until he vanished, only a loud crack of noise to indicate that he was gone.

“Come on girls, you can see Jane.” Jonathan soothed. “You remember her, right?”

“No, I’ve never met her before.” Mia whined stomping her foot angrily. “I want to stay here. I want to stay in my home.”

Jonathan cringed, glancing around the disarrayed house. Pictures, and glass scattered across the floor. Sofas upturned, and the smell of smoke still lingering.

“This isn’t home, not anymore.” Mr. Hart soothed. “I’m sorry girls, I really am.”

Mia shook her head, refusing to go. Quietly, Amara detached herself from her twin and stepped forward. “I’ll do it, I’ll go with you.”

Jonathan raised a brow, a small grin tugging on his lips. “I knew you would, Amara. You‘re a brave girl, just like your mother.”

Mia frowned at her sister. She glanced at the two and shook her head before finally sighing and stepping forward. “I’ll go.”

“That’s a girl.” Jonathan said, grabbing both of the girls hands. “I think you’ll like my home, and Jane has been excited to see you.”

Both girls allowed themselves to be whisked away to a new life.


Image


The Great Hall was filled with happy students eagerly talking to the ones they hadn't seen on the train, telling their wonderful summer stories.

Amara walked towards her table, her head held high and a content look on her face. She let her gaze wander over the Slytherin table looking for a certain Slytherin boy. She spotted him quickly, stuck between Crabbe and Pansy Parkinson near the center of the table.

She choose her seat carefully. Sitting diagonally from Draco a few people down, where she could clearly be seen but not heard.

A smirk grew on her face as she watched him from the corner of her right eye. She watched as Pansy clung to his arm and talked excitedly about her summer holiday. She watched as Crabbe and Goyle waited eagerly for food to appear.

Mid way through, however, Amara was regretting sitting where she was. With her back towards Ravenclaw, Amara wouldn’t be able to see Fran, Nicole, and Gabby making face at her like they normally did. She wandered if they were doing it now, even though she couldn’t see them.

They probably were. Them being as daft as they were.

She chanced a peek, spotting the three girls chatting amongst each other. Amara frowned for a second, before turning around just as the first years came walking into the room.

It was when Amara turned to face forward that she spotted Malfoy staring. She saw the smirk on his face when he saw she caught him looking, so Amara did the only thing she could: smirk back.

While the Sorting Hat sang it’s song, Amara only paid half attention as she took in her surroundings. She noticed Hagrid missing and Professor Grubbly-Plank in his place. She also noticed a toad-like woman wearing all pink at the table. Amara frowned, worry overcoming her.

“…I have told you, I have warned you….let the sorting begin.” The hat finished. It took a second before the kids applauded, and for a change, whispered to one another.

The sorting was quick, each house cheering when a new student was welcomed. And as soon as sorting was over with, Headmaster Dumbledore stepped up, ready to make his speech.

“…There is time for speech making, but this not it. Tuck in!” Dumbledore said, causing the room to clap and laugh happily.

Food appeared across the tables and it was only a matter seconds before kids began to dig in. Amara tentatively placed bread and some vegetables onto her plate.

“Hello,”

Amara looked up and watched as Malfoy sat down across from her, shoving a second year to the side. Crabbe and Goyle settled on either side of him. Curiously Amara glanced down the table at Pansy who sat gossiping with her friends, either oblivious or not caring that Malfoy ditched her so he could talk to another girl.

“Malfoy. Draco Malfoy.” he greeted, that never vanishing smirk on his face.

Amara grinned, her finger slowly circling the rim of her cup. “I know. I’m in the same year as you.”

She had been careful to stay in the background since her first year. Making sure she didn’t stand out. And, luckily for her, it had worked.

As Malfoy looked at her in disbelief, Amara lost her appetite as she watched Crabbe and Goyle dig into their meals.

“And you are?” Malfoy asked, agitated that she had yet to tell him her name, like most people would.

“Jane Hart.” She answered, tearing her eyes away from the grease dribbling down Crabbe’s chin.

“Hart, I’ve heard that name before.” Malfoy said, a look of disgust coming over his features when he himself looked at Crabbe.

“My father is an Auror, that’s probably why.” Amara answered, giving Malfoy a playful smile, making him look away from Crabbe and focus back on her.

“So, why haven’t I seen you before?” Malfoy asked, switching on his charm.

Amara leaned in, that playful grin still on her face. “Perhaps I didn’t want to be seen.”

“And now?” He asked, raising a brow.

She grabbed her goblet and brought it to her lips. “Maybe I do.”

Malfoy smirked at this. It really wasn’t hard flirting with this boy, as long as you know how to.

Much to Amara’s despair the food vanished and the students grew quiet. Dumbledore stepped forward, ready to address the school.

“Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start-of-term notices,” he began, scanning over the students. He continued on, talking about the rules. Then introduced the changes in Professors this year.

There was a small round of applause that died off as quickly as it came after he introduced them. Most students sat with glazed expressions, their meals certainly resting in their stomachs, making them tired.

Dumbledore continued, however. “Tryouts for the House Quidditch teams will take place on the-”

Amara blinked and raised a brow in curiosity, wondering why Dumbledore stopped speaking. She glanced at Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle, each looking slightly confused but more bored than anything else.

“Hem, hem,”

Amara looked towards the staff table and saw that the toad-like woman was standing, trying to draw attention to herself.

Headmaster Dumbledore seemed to recover his initial surprise quickly before sitting down in his seat, giving the floor to Professor Umbridge.

Amara furrowed her brow, wondering if this woman was right in the head. Nobody was supposed to interrupt Dumbledore’s speeches, especially when they were so close to getting to leave and go to bed.

“Thank you, Headmaster,” Professor Umbridge said, a coy smile on her face, “for those kind words of welcome.”

Shifting in her seat, Amara turned so she could focus on whatever the new Professor had to say. It had better be important.

“…it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say!” Umbridge said, her gaze scanning the room. “And to see such happy little faces looking back at me!”

Amara narrowed her eyes. Was the lady trying to patronize them?

Amara zoned out after this, only letting herself glare at the woman as she continued to speak. The woman was going to be trouble, Amara knew.

“…intent on preserving what ought to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning whatever we find practices that ought to be prohibited.”

She sat down after that, with very little applause to follow. Dumbledore finished his speech quickly enough before dismissing the students.

Amara turned to face Draco, but he was already gone, striding towards Pansy to collect the first years. Amara frowned, angry that she had missed her chance.


♠ ♠ ♠
A lot of sentences were taken from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, chapter eleven. Just throwing that out there.

Many thanks to pelican park. and Temet Nosce for leaving comments. It means a lot.

Thank you to my 12 subscribers. Hope you enjoy.