How to Save a Life

Prologue

Plié. Relevé. Pirouette. Demi-plié. Arabesque. Step en avant. Repeat.

A little girl danced the routine over and over again, spinning and twirling, balancing on her toes and shrinking at the knees. There was only one sound, the chanting of measure counts – one and two and three and four – and a melancholy tune vibrating from a grand piano. Every once in awhile, the ten year old would stumble and lose her place and would wait until the counts were restarted to begin again. When she faltered in her steps, every part of her body shook as if it were to collapse into a heap of paper skin and fragile bone at any moment.

But it never did. The child was full of health; tiny, perhaps, but perfectly healthy. Her shiny, honey-colored hair was tied in a bun, and a leotard hugged her ivory frame. In contrast to her skin tone, her cheeks were flushed red from repeating her ballet routine. But most noticeable on the girl was her delicate smile, so full of happiness and carefree, free from worry and stress.

Au contraire to I. What I would give to go back to that day, when the only thing I had to worry about was getting it right.

Plié. Relevé. Pirouette. Demi-plié. Arabesque. Step en avant. Coda.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow this took me forever to get out xD I wasn't really sure if I liked it so. Here ya go(: