Conquering America

And When the Wave Comes Sweeping

Clouds blocked the majority of sunlight, but La Push still managed to be only mildly cold. A light drizzle slapped the ground and cooled Jacob’s skin. With his father, he sat outside on their small porch and watched as Calvin’s two daughters moved into his house. Calvin was a divorced man in his late forties who lived with his brother, Carl. Everyone, at first glance, figured them twins, but their personalities quickly set them apart. Carl is a calm and responsible man. His every action makes it evident that he strives to do the right thing, whereas Calvin is a brutish man. Calvin, although a good-looking man for his age, drinks obsessively, curses non-stop, gambles away all his money, and chain-smokes whenever he can get a hold of cigarettes.

Seth ran up to a somewhat stunned Jacob and asked, “Who are these new girls?”

Billy answered before Jacob could fully snap out of his trance; he’s never seen anyone move in to La Push before. “They’re sisters. Their father is Calvin.”

Seth’s mouth and brows scrunched up with curiosity, “Calvin had kids?”

Billy nodded and slowly breathed in, “A long time ago. He took a liking to a pretty girl. She liked him a bit, but soon got sucked into all his issues.”

Seth plopped down next to Billy and started to stare at the small U-Haul truck. “Then why did she have his kids?”

Billy sighed, “Carl always guessed Stockholm’s. I can’t guess why she would have stayed with him. She finally left when she opened her eyes though.”

“To what?”

Billy nodded him off. Seth accepted the silence and continued to watch the strange scene. The younger of the two looked significantly younger than her older sister. Her features were sharp, but still strangely young. Her long black hair tickled the small of her back and her large, brown almond eyes scanned every little bit of her new home and community. The older one, however, looked aged not by the process of life, but from stone. Past pain cut into her face and kept her brows arched, as if to convey that she’s always on the look out. Her black hair is cut short; it’s a little spiked pixie, but the rain turns it into awkward, misplaced curls.

Jacob turned his head to the right to look at his father. “Why are they moving here?”

Billy sighed and readjusted his hat before replying. “Their mother died. Netanya is five months shy of eighteen, so they had to move in with their closest living relative.”

Jacob nodded while Seth asked, “What’s the name of—?”

“Natasha. She’s around fifteen.”

Both boys nodded. Billy didn’t think much of their questions, but added for good measure, “Leave those girls alone."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Thoughts?