Conquering America

But We Danced with the Ashes Falling

Within minutes, giant creatures bustled out of the woods behind Netanya. Although not nearly as large as her, these humanoid wolves towered over Jacob and his pack. The vampires stood close together, doing their beast to show their amazement rather than their fear. The wolves didn’t leave, but they definitely cowered.

Netanya kept Jacob very still and directly in the moonlight. “You inherited a pack, I earned mine.” She dropped him.

Jacob whimpered, but quickly scuffled in front of his father and howled. His pack, although filled with fear, were still loyal. They formed a circle around Billy, but Billy shook his head; the wolves parted and he was able to walk in front of his son. He held Jacob’s large wolf head gently in his hands. “I love you son, but when will you learn to mind your own business?”

Jacob growled, but Billy didn’t let go.

Edward spoke for Jacob, saying, “That’s what’s wrong with our tribe. If you got more involved these girls—”

Netanya howled, and her and her pack of colossal creatures ran behind her, back towards La Push.

The vampires immediately declared that they had no business in this, so the wolves, with Billy on Jacob’s back, ran after them. Jacob had to be careful to run without hurting his newly healed father, something that they’ll have to talk about – how in the world was a fatal bite a cure? Jacob pushed this out of his mind and continued forward. Netanya’s pack surely has been back on the reservation for a while, but the wolves ran as fast as they could anyway. They were back in La Push within ten minutes, but the destruction had already happened. Jacob saw Seth as a wolf, standing in front of Natasha; he look terrified, but he refused to let anything happen to her, but the wolves weren’t there for her.

Netanya literally broke out of a house, Calvin squirming and screaming as if he was a worm in the claw of a hawk. She ran through the houses of tribal leaders, tearing down their walls and roaring and howling at them as if she went mad. She didn’t hurt anyone, but she didn’t leave them a thing to go back to. Without actually hurting anyone, her pack made sure that no one was able to reach her. The wolves followed her throughout La Push, but were never able to weave through a member of her pack – they were giants, they were swift, they were strong, they were unstoppable in every sense of the word. Until, finally, Jacob had Seth kick him over one of Netanya’s wolves. He crashed into the ground and skidded toward Netanya’s feet. She stood on her huge hind legs, looked down at him, and stepped away, holding her father over her head the whole time.

She shallowly sunk her claws into his torso, neck and legs, snarling, “This is for Mom.” She drove her nails deeper, “This is for Nuhad.”
Calvin screamed, his blood rushing down her claws and onto the cold earth beneath them. “Stop Netanya! Stop!”

She laughed, “And this is for us.”

Natasha buried her face into Seth’s warm, furry side as Netanya slid her claws completely through Calvin’s body and tore him in two pieces. She dropped him to the floor; he screamed for a short second, as his body was destroyed from the collar down, but Netanya locked gazes with him until he died. She then picked his body up and tossed it deep into the woods; the thump it made was impossible to ignore or mistake, especially as it rolled down the cliffs edge and thumped into the ocean.

Non shifting people were terrified in their houses; tribal leaders who were clearly members of the idea of leaving Calvin’s “business” as his own wept on the earth and begged for forgiveness. Netanya ignored them and stepped directly into a stream of moonlight. She shuddered, causing her fur to ripple; the midnight black was washed over with a snow-white cream, completely removing any trace of her pervious fur. She scooped Jacob off of the ground and bit into his spine. He didn’t struggle, but he immediately stared up at the moon and howled. His pack started to growl and jump around, but Netanya’s pack blocked all their chances.

Netanya gently placed him back on the ground and watched as the gaping wounds from her teeth quickly healed. Her voice, although still immensely powerful, held much more peacefulness than rage and control. “Strength is embedded in every fiber of my body; my saliva can transfer some of that to another.”

Without another word, Netanya walked toward Seth and Natasha, becoming more and more human-like with each step. By the time she reached her sister, she was back to her small human body, completely naked, yet shone so much like cooper in the moonlight that it didn’t even matter. She scratched behind Seth’s ears while Natasha tossed a blanket over her. Netanya looked behind her to lock eyes with Billy and said, “We’re leaving, but we’ll be back.”

Netanya and Natasha climbed into their car, packed with the last of their things. But before Netanya sat down on the driver’s seat, she looked at all the tribal leaders and said, “Some of you wouldn’t get involved enough. Others of you couldn’t find your own business if your life depended on it. Our tribe has always shared stories of balance – we’re off to learn that, surely now you will try rather than letting nature solve our problems.”

Her pack ran beside her leaving car, guiding, protecting, and following their alpha to an undecided location.

Jacob transformed back to his human self and the rest of his pack followed. Jacob and Seth stood together, while completely naked, watching Netanya and Natasha driving in the distance. “You know,” Jacob sighed, “I really didn’t think our paths would cross and end like this.”

Seth laughed; he was exhausted, but still hopeful. “I thought this would turn into a romance, not in a pillaging and vigilante revenge murder. But maybe they’ll come back and fall in love with us.”

Jacob laughed.

Seth grinned.

The rest of the pack got dressed, but Jacob and Seth ended up sitting naked on the front steps of Jacob’s house and stared at the moon. Jacob broke their long silence by saying, “I wonder if I could count that as our second date.”

Seth laughed and shook his head, “I think the whole message of the night is to not fuck with her and learn when to get involved in things.”

They could hear Billy laughing from the kitchen. He poked his head out the window and said, “A true alpha makes her own life and limitations.” His eyes got softer while his voice got harder, “The rest of just learn how to live our lives within that.”

The boys nodded, looked back up at the fading moon, and sat quietly again for a while. When the sun started to rise, Jacob looked at Seth and said, “In three months, Bella got married, turned, and had a baby, all while Netanya and Natasha slowly moved out and eventually killed their father, just to leave us all terrified and confused.”

“Not terrified,” Seth said with an exhausted smile while standing up. Jacob huffed with disgust and scooted back to avoid Seth’s crotch. Seth didn’t seem to be phased by this and continued, “Exhilarated. We have to rebuild parts of La Push, but that’s what this place has been avoiding for years.”

Jacob nodded and walked back inside his house while Seth walked back home. Jacob made a B-line for his bed, but then turned and went to his father. Billy was about to protest, but Jacob picked him up and squeezed him tightly to his chest. “I love you, Dad.”

Between the strength of the hug and his general discomfort, Billy could barely make out, “I love you too, son, but this is going to look odd—”

Before Jacob could say anything back, Chief Swan walked into the kitchen and said, “Well, I was going to ask what the fuck happened to your town, but now I’d like to know what the fuck is up with your legs and this fucking hug?”

Jacob laughed and put his father down. Chief Sawn avoided looking at Jacob as he chuckled his exhausted self to his bed, leaving his father to come up with either a way to explain what the quick and confusing scene happened last night, or to pull an incredible lie out of his ass. Either way, the story would surely be a great conversation to drift to sleep to.