Say It One More Time

High School... Great...

5:30. Monday morning. First day at new school.
My plan for the day? Keep my head down, and talk only when necessary; Fool proof if you ask me.

I dragged myself out of my bed and looked out the window. The sun was already out, hopefully signalling a good day ahead.
I dressed in my new uniform; a black skirt and blazer, light blue blouse and a blue and silver tie. Not the worst uniform I suppose… I just wish that I was going to a school with no uniform… Oh well…

I plugged in my hair straighteners and applied my make up as they heated up; I opted for heavy black eyeliner with silver eye shadow smoking the edges. I pulled the straighteners through my hair, then sprayed hairspray all over. Finally satisfied, I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs for breakfast.

“Morning sweetie, I’ve done breakfast for you” Laura smiled at me from across the kitchen, placing a plate of toast down next to a mug of tea.
“Ooh thanks Laura!” I smiled as I sat down to eat.
“So, are you excited for your first day?” she asked, sitting down opposite me.
“I suppose… It would be better if I didn’t have to get up so early…” my response made her laugh, I didn’t realise that not liking mornings was funny…
“Not a morning person then?” I just looked blankly in her direction, hoping that that would be enough of an answer.
“I guess not… Anyway, Ally should be down soon, she’ll show you round as much as possible, I’m not sure if they got you in all her classes or not though”
“I’ll be fine, don’t worry” I said as I finished up my food. Just then a very tired looking Ally walked into the kitchen, going straight to the coffee machine. She didn’t say a word until she had taken her first sip.
“Ughh… That stuff’s good” I laughed as she set her mug down to get some food “I’m not kidding Ren, I cannot function without that stuff in the mornings, you have to try it”
“No thanks, I hate coffee, tea’s the one for me” I sighed, noticing that I had finished my drink.
“That’s just not normal… Anyway we gotta go” she said after downing her coffee, I’ll never understand how she can do that.

It took us half an hour to reach the ‘Queen of Peace High School’, and as I looked up at it, I was immediately intimidated. It was a huge three story brick building, yellow school buses lined the road outside and there were so many kids!
Ally just pushed her way through the crowd, leading us to the reception area.
“Hi, Miss Leroy, my cousin is here to pick up her schedule and stuff.” Ally said as I looked around the entrance hall.
“Ah yes, Miss Harrison?” the receptionist asked, looking at me. She was a young woman, with brown hair pulled back into a bun, “Yes, you’re schedule is right… here…” she said whilst rummaging around her desk. She pulled out a yellow slip of paper and placed it down in front of me. “Your locker number is written on the top there, and I’m sure Alicia here will show you to it and your first lesson where you will be given a buddy for the rest of the week.” She smiled politely up at me, “You will be called over the tanoy to come to the principal’s office at about 8:10 to discuss your place here and to meet your buddy, is that ok?” she asked. I nodded in response and thanked her for my timetable.

“Huh… Locker number 384, upstairs, lucky you” Ally laughed directing me towards the stairs.
“Doesn’t this place have lifts?” I moaned as I started climbing
“Ha! I wish! Come on, this way” Ally really knew this place too well as she ran off in the direction of my locker.

“Right, here’s your locker, and right next door is your first classroom, I think” she said checking my timetable again. “I’ve gotta head off to mine now, good luck Rennie!” Ally hugged me before letting me into my classroom and heading off to hers.

As I entered, I noticed that I was the only person in the room, except for the teacher, Mr Carlton, who wore a beige jacket with brown leather elbow patches… Oh joy…
He looked up when he realised that he was no longer alone in the room.
“Good morning, you must be our new student…” “Lorena Harrison” “Yes, Lorena, why don’t you take a seat, the rest will soon be with us.”
I moved my way to a seat by the window and shoved my bag under the desk.

Slowly the room began to fill up, everyone found the need to stare at me and make comments before sitting down and doing exactly the same thing.

“Good morning everyone!” Mr Carlton’s voice broke through the noise, “First of all, as I’m sure you all now know, we have a new student with us, Lorena Harrison, secondly, I hope you all have your homework with you”

Groans erupted around the classroom, before being interrupted by the tanoy, announcing me to the principal’s office.

-~-

“Take a seat Lorena” Mr Lavallee said as he pointed to a chair placed in front of his desk. “Now, I just want you to know that I am aware of your previous educational history and why you are here with us, I won’t go into it, but I would like to let you know, that if you are caught fighting on the school premises here, then disciplinary action will have to be taken”
“You realise that I wasn’t fighting just for the fun of it right?” I asked defensively, I already don’t like this guy.
“Yes, yes of course I do, anyway, I wanted to introduce you to your buddy for the week.” He walked over the office door, opening it to allow a short guy in. I’m not gonna lie, his long messy hair was quite attractive, but I’m not letting my guard down for anyone.
“Lorena, this is Frank Iero, he’s in all of your classes and will be showing you round.”
“Hey” he greeted me
“Hi.” I responded coldly. I wasn’t lying when I said that I would only talk when I had to.
“Right, well you two run along then” Mr Lavallee ushered us quickly out of the office and along the corridor.
“Douche” I muttered under my breath. I noticed this Frank guy smile, I guess he heard me.
“You got that right” he agreed with me, grinning like an idiot, “I don’t think anyone here likes him”
“Right.” I responded out of politeness, but stuck to minimal answers all morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
And here he is, the man that needs no introductions :)