Say It One More Time

Too Much Talking...

As soon as the bell rang, signalling for lunch, I jumped out of my chair and left the room. I swear I could hear my name being called somewhere behind me, but I just carried on walking. I had agreed to meet Ally at the canteen entrance; I just had to find my way there.

“Lorena, if you’re going to the canteen, it’s the other way” I heard Frank say, sounding kind of out of breath. I seriously hope he hasn’t been running to keep up with me.
“Thanks.” I turned around and went the way he directed, and soon enough I saw Ally’s hair through the crowd.

“Hey Rennie!” she smiled as she hugged me, “ How was your morning?”
“Yeah it was ok, I’ll never understand why people feel the need to stare at new kids… Or constantly try and talk to them…”
“Jesus Lorena! Do you really have to walk so fast?!” I heard Frank, once again. I just sighed and rolled my eyes, choosing not to respond. “Oh hey Ally!” he smiled as he noticed her.
Ally gave me a stern look, sensing that I had been talking about Frank.
“Come on then guys, the queues gonna get too long if we stand here any longer” she broke the silence by hooking her arm around mine and leading me to the back of the queue.
“Oh, I’ve got food with me, I’ll meet you guys at the table.” Frank said before slowly wandering off.
“You don’t seem too impressed with our Frankie, eh Rennie?” Ally smirked at me.
“Look, it’s not that, I just want to keep my head down, and not have to worry about making friends or trusting people.” I replied to her coldly.
“Ohh… Right… Look, I won’t say anything to anyone, or try and force you to talk to anyone, but I just hope that one day, you’ll be able to change and trust again…” she sighed, “Anyway… That aside, how was the rest of your morning? I noticed that you have Mr Carlton? Fun guy eh?”

Changing the subject made me feel a lot more comfortable, so I started chatting. We got our food, then I followed her to a table.
“Hey guys!” Ally announced our arrival, sitting down next to a skinny guy with longish hair and glasses. I made my fringe cover my face, trying to hide myself, but I could still feel everyone’s eyes on me as I sat in the only available space, next to Frank.
“So, you’ll talk to her and not me?” Frank whispered to me, “Why?”
He sounded almost hurt, but to be honest, why should I care?
“She’s my cousin.” I stated. I noticed his mouth forming an ‘O’ shape while he continued to prod at his food.

“So aren’t you gonna introduce us to your new friend then Ally?” The skinny guy said, gaining everyone’s attention.
I groaned as she smiled, “Oh yeah! Guys, this is my cousin Rennie,”
“Lorena.” I reminded her, only people I know call me Rennie.
“Sorryyyy, Lorena… She’s just moved over from England, she’s staying with me until her parents can get over, I’m so excited about it!” she didn’t stop grinning as she spoke.
“Ohh cool, I’m Mikey” The guy with glasses said smiling slightly, “This is my brother Gerard, but we call him Gee, he’s in a world of his own most the time, he’s graduating this summer” he motioned over to a guy with long messy, slightly greasy hair, who was definitely not in this world right now.
“I’m Ray!” I noticed another kid, with an afro, grinning and waving. Seriously, what is it with these guys and grinning so much?!
“Bob,” the blonde one stated.
“Hey! I’m Iris” a girl with jet-black hair smiled at me. I nodded my head as they all said their names, not making eye contact or actually saying anything.

I spent the rest of lunch avoiding conversation as much as possible. After finding out that I shared every single class with Frank, I reluctantly followed him to my next lesson Biology. It was also shared with Mikey, so I took this as a chance to sit alone for the first time today. Unfortunately, when I walked into the room, I saw the tables were in groups of four.

“So… it’s usually just me and Frank on our own, so there’s space for you to join us, it’s either that or sitting with the fucking preps and jocks, I know what I’d choose…” Mikey pointed out as him and Frank put their bags down. I could see his point, they were already staring me down…
“Thanks” I mumbled before putting my bag alongside theirs and taking a seat.

For the whole lesson, I felt like I was under interrogation by these guys. They just can’t take a hint! I DON’T WANT TO TALK TO THEM!

When the bell rang telling us that school was over, I jumped up out of my chair and went to the door.
“Heyy! Lorena!” Frank called after me
“What?” I asked impatiently when he caught up.
“You could at least say good bye, or let us walk you to the front of school to wait for Ally” he pouted.
“Can you not get the hint?! I don’t want to talk! And I don’t need you following me everywhere! Just leave me alone!” I’d had enough, and I snapped. Frank just stood there, looking hurt, while Mikey looked on, his face clearly showing his shock.

I sharply turned on my heel and started to quickly walk away. When I realised that they weren’t following, I smiled, then slowed to a better pace.

I reached the front of the school, but couldn’t see Ally anywhere. I checked my phone, but had no messages from her…
I decided that I should probably text her to let her know I’m waiting, Hey Ally, I’m out the front, where are you? Rennie xo
I pressed send, only to be told that I didn’t have enough credit for it to actually leave my phone.
Note to self: Sort out a phone that will work in America…

I guess I’ll just have to wait…

I found a tree that looked good enough to sit under and waited…