Right Where I Belong

City Lights

“McKenzie does this look okay?” I asked walking out of the bathroom wearing a strapless teal dress.
“Yeah that looks cute. I love the black lace accent, really brings out your shape.”
“Thank you. I need your opinion on shoes.” I ran into my bedroom and grabbed two pairs of heels. I glanced at the clock, Benji would be here in a few minutes and I didn’t want him to have to wait for me.
“Which ones!” I yelled running down the short hallway towards the living room.
“Hmmm” McKenzie looked at between the black lace peep toes and the teal patent leather.
“The lace.”
“Thank you, you are such a god sent!” I smiled as I slipped the shoes on and set the other pair under the coffee table.
“I think tonight is the night.” I smiled.
“Honey it has to be! He did say he had something important to ask you.”
Benji and I had officially hit the 1 year last month and were finally going to be able to celebrate now that Good Charlotte was home from their small tour. It was a little difficult at first adjusting to him being gone and not being able to see him. We would Skype every night before bed no matter the time zone.
There was a knock on the door and I started to get really nervous.
“You look amazing.” McKenzie said grabbing the door.
McKenzie ushered Benji into my apartment. “Wow,” Benji gasped “you look amazing.” Benji didn’t look to bad either. He wore nice black jeans and a long sleeve button down shirt.
“You look rather handsome yourself.” I complimented.
“Alright love birds, get a move on!” McKenzie smiled as she ushered us out of my apartment. “Now Benji, I expect her home no later than 8am tomorrow morning.” McKenzie was trying to keep a stern look on her face. “Also make sure if you are going to have sex that you use protection, I don’t want to be an auntie just yet.” McKenzie smirked as she winked at us.
Benji nodded and we headed off on our date. It didn’t take long for us to arrive at the nice little picnic Benji had set up for us overlooking the city.
“I must say Mr. Madden you sure know how to impress a girl” I smiled as Benji helped me sit on the blanket.
“Well Miss Harper,” Benji paused giving me a smirk “How am I doing?”
I giggled as Benji sat across from me. “Very well Mr. Madden” Benji pulled out food for us and poured us some champagne.
“This is really beautiful Benji, you didn’t have to go all out you know.”
“Trust me I know, but I wanted to do this.” Benji and I sat in comfortable silence enjoying the city lights and how amazing the few was.
“I have something I wanted to ask you.” Benji turned to me.
“Okay.” I said taking a sip of my champagne.
“I wanted to ask if you would move in with me.”
I smiled, “you brought me all the way up here to ask me that? Benji you could have just asked over ice cream.”
Benji laughed “When are you going to realize that I like spoiling you sometimes. I know you wouldn’t have minded if I asked you over a causal dinner, but I figured being that we are celebrating being together a whole year and not killing each other, why not do it some place special. So, what is your answer?”
I laughed shaking my head “of course I’ll move in with you. Now if you don’t mind, I need to text McKenzie to start packing my things.” I joked. Benji laughed with me shaking his head as he looked out to the city.
*1 year later *
“Come on Alyssa!” Benji called from down stairs.
“I’m putting my earrings in, chill. What is the big deal?” I yelled back as I walked into the hallway. Proceeding to see Benji at the bottom of the stairs with my purse and heels in hand.
“There is no big deal, but it’s your birthday and I want to take you out.” Benji paused looking me over with a smile on his face. “You look very beautiful” he commented kissing my cheek as I reached the bottom step.
“It’s your birthday too and thank you.”
“Yeah, but you are more important.”
I rolled my eyes as I slipped on my heels with Benji’s help. Once I smoothed out my dress Benji help up a black bandana. I gave him a confused look.
“It’s a surprise.”
I sighed “Benji, I really don’t like surprises. Can you please just tell me where we are going?”
“No!” he laughed as he turned me around. “Now let me put this on you so you can’t see where I am taking you.
After Benji tied the bandana around my head and made sure I couldn’t see, he took my hand and we slowly made our way to the door of the garage.
“Why don’t I just carry you?” Benji stated and without warning picked me up bridal style
“Benji please don’t drop me!” I clung tightly to his shoulders.
“I promise I won’t drop you. I should have blindfolded you in the car.”
I started laughing. “Yeah that would have been easier. Does this mean I can take it off?”
“No, now I am going to put you down.” Once Benji set me down I heard the click of the garage door open. “Alright,” Benji paused as he gently pulled me the right, moving his left hand to my waist. “I’m going to help you down the step, okay.”
“Okay” I breathed. I wasn’t sure I had the right coordination for this, I was a klutz with my eyes open and now that my sight was gone, I was sure to go downhill and fast!
“Don’t worry I will catch you if you fall. I know you trip over your shadow.” Benji teased. He gently applied pressure to my waist. “Take a small step forward”
I didn’t know what he meant by a small step and so I more so shuffled until I felt the threshold for the door. “Okay hold out your hand.” I did as Benji instructed. I felt Benji take my hand, “alright slowly step down onto the step.”
Once I got to the only step I easily took the next one on the garage floor. “Alright that was a piece of cake!” Benji breathed out as he shut the door. He led me over to his car and helped me into the passenger seat.
“Benji please I really don’t like surprises.” I begged as I felt Benji bring the vehicle to life. “You are just going to have to deal with it honey. Now sit back and listen to your first birthday gift.”
I listened as music started to play, I instantly recognized the voice of Bert McCracken singing the newest single from The Used.
“You didn’t have to buy me the Cd.”
“I know I didn’t, but I know they are your favorite, besides us of course,” I knew Benji had that silly smirk on his face. “I wanted to buy it for you.”
“Benji you know that you don’t have to buy me anything for my birthday right? I’m more than happy with your company.”
Benji scoffed, “Yeah right! I would be considered the worst boyfriend in the history of mankind if I didn’t buy you something!”
I’m not sure how long it took us to get to where we were, but we had arrived. Benji helped me out of the car and continued to help me until he finally stopped me.
“Alright. Are you ready?” Benji asked his breath tickled my ear as his hands came to the knot of the blindfold.
“Yes I would very much like my eyesight back!” I laughed.
“Alright. On the count of 3”
“1”
The anticipation inside was growing
“2”
The butterflies in my stomach started to flutter even worse.
“3”
Benji took the blindfold off and I opened my eyes.
“SURPRISE!” Everyone in the room yelled. I felt tears brim my eyes. My family was here, friends I hadn’t seen in a long time, Joel, McKenzie, the guys, some of Benji’s friends and Benji’s family.
“Omg!” I stammered. I turned to look at Benji. He had a huge smile on his face. “You planned all of this?”
“With McKenzie’s help of course, she was more of the mastermind behind everything. I just had the idea.”
“This is amazing! Thank you.” I cried. Looking at everyone I couldn’t believe he and McKenzie pulled this off without me knowing.
“There is one more surprise.” Benji said grabbing my hand. I looked over at him to see him kneeling down on one knee.
I was speechless, I couldn’t’ believe this was happening.
“Alyssa you are the most amazing woman I have ever met. You have always had something to say to me since the day I met you. You are always honest, you are creative, you are kind, and you care so much for everyone and often forget to care for yourself. I want to be the one to care for you. I want to wake up to your smiling face every morning, I want to come home to your delicious dinners, I love you so much and I can’t imagine coming home and you not being there. Will you marry me?”
I was so speechless I couldn’t even get any words out. I nodded my head yes before crashing my lips to Benji’s hugging him tightly. I pulled away.
“Of course I’ll marry you!”
♠ ♠ ♠
There you have it!! The final Chapter! Let me know what your thoughts in the comments. Thank you everyone for waiting so long for the last two chapters.