Right Where I Belong

Tiffany & Co.

Joel, McKenzie, Benji, and I were sitting outside on the patio enjoying the nice weather. It was getting later and later, I hadn’t expected to spend my entire day with them, but I couldn’t really complain. After Benji and I had our little talk he seemed to lay off a little which made my day a lot better. Billy and Paul were supposedly on their way over to join us for dinner.
“Isn’t Dean joining us?” I asked looking at Benji.
“Nah, he said he had plans already.” Benji said shrugging.
I nodded as I took out my cell phone. McKenzie and Joel had been discussing the possibility of McKenzie creating her own clothing line. She had wanted to create one for a while, being a photographer was her dream job, but having a clothing line to call her own was something on her bucket list.
“Where is that necklace from Alyssa?” Benji asked as he leaned in to get a better look at the heart key locket necklace I was wearing.
“It’s from Tiffany & co.” I said still playing Angry Birds on my cell, “It’s a locket.”
“Where did you get the money to buy something at Tiffany & Co.?” Benji asked really eyeing me now. I looked up at him and then glanced at McKenzie. Out of the four of us I was the “poorest”, McKenzie made great money being a photographer for both her free-lance stuff for bands and for AP Magazine. I was a writer, I didn’t work at a newspaper or for a magazine, nope I was an actual author and while I wasn’t as big of a name as J.K. Rowling or Stephenie Mayer, I had made some money off my first book and was currently working on getting into screen writing for television.
“It was a gift Benji, besides is it really that hard to believe that I could afford to pay for this by myself?” I asked, I wasn’t lying it was a gift from an ex-boyfriend.
“I didn’t mean it like that, I’m sorry. I meant it more like I thought you were planning on buying a house. So the fact that it came from Tiffany & Co. means that is cost a bit of money.” Benji said leaning back into his chair.
“I’m sorry I snapped.” I apologized as Billy and Paul came walking through the back yard gate.
* * *
It was 1:26 am when I looked at my cell, I had a job interview at 11am and the fact that I was still up, made me mad. I knew there was no way I was getting home tonight.
“Joel is it okay if I crash on your couch? I’m sure neither McKenzie nor I are sober enough to drive.” I said yawning.
“Why don’t you take one of the guest bedrooms?” Benji asked, I knew Billy, Paul, and Benji weren’t leaving either, granted Benji could just walk home, but knowing him he would just stay and crash here.
“Because I’m going to be a lady and let you guys have the guest bedrooms, besides your family, you get claim to at least one bedroom.”
Benji was about to say something, when Joel interrupted, “He’s family; the only thing he gets claim to is the couch. Alyssa you take one of the guest bedrooms I’m sure Benji doesn’t mind sharing a room with either of these two or sleeping on the couch.”
Benji nodded in agreement, I sighed knowing I had no choice, “If it’s really okay, then I’ll take the guest bedroom upstairs.” I got up and headed inside. Grabbing a water from the fridge I turned around about to head back outside to tell everyone good night.
“Are you going to bed?” Benji asked scaring the crap out of me.
“Yeah I have an interview tomorrow at 11 and I wasn’t expecting to be up this late.”
Benji nodded in understanding, “I’ll tell everyone you said goodnight, so you can get to sleep.”
“Thanks, I’ll see you in the morning.” I headed up the stairs and down the hall, opening the first door on the left I walked into the bathroom. Grabbing a tissue from the box that sat on the counter, I whipped my make up off. Once I was done I headed into the hall again and opened the door kitty corner, coming upon the guest bedroom.
I slipped my shoes off setting them down at the foot of the bed, slipping my jeans off; I folded them and put them on the small dresser that sat in the corner. Next I unhooked by bra, slipping it off while leaving my tank on and folded it placing it on top of my jeans. I jumped onto the queen size bed and crawled under the covers, sleep came fast.
* * *
“Caught up in this madness too blind to see, Woke animal feelings in me, took over my sense and I lost control, I'll taste your blood tonight. You know I make you wanna screa-” I grabbed my phone off the bedside table realizing that I should probably get up. I shut off my alarm and got dressed; I opened the door quietly hoping not to wake anyone. I walked down stairs and into the kitchen looking to see what Joel had for breakfast and settled on the half empty box of Cheerios.
“You look like shit.” I jumped almost spilling cereal everywhere. I looked to see Benji with a half grin on this face trying not to laugh.
“What are you doing up so early?” I asked, I always had my alarm set for 5 in the morning unless I had the day off from work.
“I went for a run and then stopped by my house to shower and eat. Then I drove over cause I figured that once you got up you might want to go home so you could shower and get ready for that interview you have.”
I nodded shoving Cheerios in my mouth, Benji was right. I did want to show and start mentally preparing for this interview. I swallowed the mouth full, “Are you really okay with bringing me home? I can just drive McKenzie’s car back, I’m sure Joel would be more than happy to drive her back.
“Allie, it’s no problem, really. I’m more than happy to do it.” Benji sat at the island of the kitchen and watched me finish my breakfast.
“Thanks” I said grabbing my purse and making sure I had everything. I grabbed my heels and walked out the front door with Benji right behind me. I slipped them on once I was on the front step and got into Benji’s car.
“I’ll give you some gas money, it’s the least I can do.” I said digging in my purse for my wallet.
“Allie, it’s not that big of a deal, don’t worry about it.” Benji said as he pulled out of the drive way.
The car ride wasn’t bad, there were moments of awkward silence, but both Benji and I made sure that there were few of those. We talked a little about music interests, books, art, and other get to know yourself topics. Benji soon pulled into the parking lot of my apartment.
“Thank you again for giving me a ride home, you really didn’t have to.” I said smiling.
“It’s no problem Allie. Oh I almost forgot, we were thinking of going to the beach later today, it’s supposed to be really nice out again. You want to join us after your interview?”
“Yeah, that sounds like fun, I’ll probably need to relax after this interview anyways.” Benji and I both laughed a little, smiling.
“You’ll do fine, I’m sure they will hire you on the spot.”
“If you say so, but I better get going, I need to do some things before this interview. I’ll talk to you later.” I said getting out of the car and shutting the door.
“Allie!” I turned around, seeing Benji had rolled the window down slightly.
“Yeah?”
“Let me know how your interview goes.” He said backing up. I nodded and watched as he headed back on his way home. I walked up the four steps that lead to the locked front door of the building. Using my key I let myself in making sure to lock it again, then headed up the five flights of steps to the apartment that McKenzie and I called home. I fed our cats Jack and Mortisha, and hoped onto my laptop to check emails. I had five, all from my editor talking about the possibility for another book. I jumped into the shower, talking myself through the questions I would ask at both the interview (if I was given the chance of course) and for the editor.
After my shower, I laid out my interview clothing and walked back out to the living room and kitchen area in silk pj shorts and the tank top to match. I quick ate breakfast again, writing an email to my editor that I would be more than happy to write another book and discussed possible deadlines. I didn’t do much afterwards, as I waited for 8:30 to come around to start getting ready, I could already feel the nerves really kicking in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second chapter is finally up! I'm sorry it good so long. Hopefully now that school is done and all I have to focus on for a while is work, I can get the next one up sooner. Please let me know what you think, it's always nice.

Thank Yous are in order to:
Hateful.Misery &
NicoleMarie.MN